Mike Hickey plays a 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard ( Bonamassa guitar Tech!)

fretboarder

Reaction score
Nice looking 58 great condition.. I was most surprised how loud it was right at the end of the video..

dsuspense

Reaction score
Great playing, and great guy.
Shredding on '58/'59/'60s lesters should be illegal though...

Bes628

Reaction score
imo he can do whatever he pleases with it, if its in his hand. With that said..not a fan of the tone.

Louie

Reaction score
Great looking guitar, pity about the BC Rich + Marshall MG tone. :noway:

E.L. Fudge

Banned
Reaction score
You don't either? Well you will if you study the sound, takes a while to accustom the ear.:thumb:

How have you 'studied' the sound to get your ears 'accustom' to the sound of PAFs? By listening to Joe Bonamossa videos over and over on your computer speakers? Can you hear 'PAF tone' when you listen to Van Halen? Would you be able to tell it was a PAF if you didn't know it was by ear? Could you describe the difference, in detail, between Slash tone and PAF tone?

mdubya

Reaction score
I wonder what he would have sounded like through the Transonic and Tone Bender? :hmm:

EEF13

Reaction score
Great playing, and great guy.
Shredding on '58/'59/'60s lesters should be illegal though...

Why?

He was barely shredding. Playing the same old blues lick on a 58 would have just been boring and cliche.

weirdotis

Reaction score
For what it's worth... I don't think any master volume amp will ever do old guitars justice, aside from maybe Dumbles. To my ears the preamp distortion just squashes all of the individual tone and dynamics out of the guitar (or the "uniqueness").

I'm probably in the minority anyway, but that's how I feel.

Duane24

Reaction score
For what it's worth... I don't think any master volume amp will ever do old guitars justice, aside from maybe Dumbles. To my ears the preamp distortion just squashes all of the individual tone and dynamics out of the guitar (or the "uniqueness").

I'm probably in the minority anyway, but that's how I feel.

no, you're right.

but I'll just say to my comments before, if thats the style of play, and the tone that makes him happy and he likes LP's, go for it. Thats all on an individual basis. Who am I to say no.

But, when you use that much over drive, it doesn't matter what guitar you have in your hands as far as tone goes, not in the least bit.

LPV

Reaction score
FWIW that's also a horrible example of jubilee tone too. Nice guitar and playing tho.

tdarian

Reaction score
Met Mike at the tiny The Baked Potato in LA last Tuesday 1/17. Nice guy and a real character. So was his buddy. It was the "Rock Candy Funk Party".
Picture083.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture038.jpg

In very tight quarters, Mike did a superb job of protecting that LP, which by the way, was sporting the Grohlsh washer "strap locks". Apologies for the makeshift iPhonage.

A man of many skills, Mike is.

tag2

Reaction score
Did you happen to notice a '57 Goldtop that Joe was looking at? That is my latest acquisition just before it was delivered to me.

BillB1960

Reaction score
I was pretty underwhelmed by the tone he was getting from that setup. Nothing special IMO.

Latest Threads