MIJ Pickup Data thread

brizzle

Reaction score
Hey guys...I'm new to forum. I used to read a lot on the tokai forum but it seems things have slowed down over there. Came across this forum and seems to be thriving. I like the mij enthusiasm!

I have a '79 eg900, very plain top...not much to look at. But I think it sounds really good. Someone asked for video clips of DryZ's so I just made a couple quick videos. I dropped in the Z's to replace the stock Dimarzios. Forgive the crap playing.

First vid is through a little champ 600
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBJEhpoOjxQ&feature=channel_video_title"]Fender Champion 600 Greco eg900 Dry Z - YouTube[/ame]

And the second is with my jmi 4 which is a vox clone from the UK.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YerH2rjMho&feature=channel_video_title"]JMI 4 and Greco EG900 Dry Z - normal channel - YouTube[/ame]

Playing aint great, but hope it gives an idea of what the pickups sound like on the clean side.

emptyisvarah

Reaction score
thanks for the vid brizzle! would've just clicked like but that dang like button doesn't appear on my iPod.

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here are a few measured in the guitar with a 15 cm effect cord attached

1980 PU-2 set: 8.55k bridge 8.34k neck
1990-ish ESP LH-200 set: 7.46k bridge 7.49k neck
Bacchus BLS-120 pickups: 8.17k bridge 8.19 neck
1982 Stickered Double Trick: 8.45k bridge 7.38k neck

The Double Trick set is odd in that the bridge reads so much higher than the neck. it also has a Maxon production number so is probably really a PU-2 or something else. Any ideas?

EDIT: here is a pic of a DRY-Z on Yahoo Japan with a similar number. Would be odd to have a DRY-Z in the 8.5k range though.
sweetbluebluemaki-img600x450-1314508427yigh2n93856.jpg

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
I'm just reading this thread now as I had to deal with hurricane prep (pulling 4 boats) for the last few days. There's no power at my house and it doesn't look likely that I will see it in the next few days. I have a chest freezer full of meats if anyone wants to come by for a massive grill-off in the next day or so. :)

Back to the topic:

If you measure your pickup resistance without lifting the wire off the pot, like you would do if you plugged in a cable and measured at the end (length doesn't really matter as the DC resistance is negligible as ... mentioned), you will have the pot resistance in parallel with the pickup, so 500K (pot) in parallel with ~7.5K (pickup) will measure 7.38K, or an error of 1.47% (110 ohms). Not that much. However, with a 250K pot in parallel your 7.5K pickup will measure 7.28K, or an error of 2.91% (218 ohms). Also pretty small, but good to be aware of it.

Also, capacitors are AC components so they won't have any play in DC measurements.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
[...]
The Double Trick set is odd in that the bridge reads so much higher than the neck. it also has a Maxon production number so is probably really a PU-2 or something else. Any ideas?

That's a fairly large difference, but not way out there. Bridge pickups usually have more windings because there is less mechanical string swing there, as opposed to the neck, which is much greater.

reborn old

Reaction score
All submissions are listed in the updated text file attachment (in the 1st thread post on page 1)
until further notice.

Thanks matmont1305 and wulfman for all your data.
1982 Stickered Double Trick: 8.45k bridge 7.38k neck

][/url]

It's within 30 ohms of my Bridge PU-2 resistance measurement also. (if all else is equal, that is) so it might depend on Screamin' magnets used. ( JDB's 1987 Screamin' bridge and neck values are almost identical however.)
There is no info on Mint Series pickup magnets used by Greco in house pickups yet.
Maxon PU-x series used Alnico 5.
How does the Screamin Bridge compare to your new EGF-850 bridge soundwise ?

It's easy to identify ceramic 8's from Alnico 2-5 alloy slugs visually or with just a resistance check. Ceramic bars are typically ground smooth.
Alnico 2 to 5 are often difficult to tell apart when they are cast slugs.
Slugs I've looked at look almost identical, with no markings and no obvious dimensional differences.
It might be possible to differentiate bars that are polished or ground smooth, or measure differences with a gauss meter.
Here are a few pics: Cast Alnico alloy 2-5, polished Alnico 8, Ceramic 8:

Attachments

• cast Alnico alloy bar.jpg
    cast Alnico alloy bar.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 122
  • alnico 8.JPG
    alnico 8.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 127
  • ceramic.jpg
    ceramic.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 114

wulfman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's within 30 ohms of my Bridge PU-2 resistance measurement also. (if all else is equal, that is) so it might depend on Screamin' magnets used. ( JDB's 1987 Screamin' bridge and neck values are almost identical however.)
There is no info on Mint Series pickup magnets used by Greco in house pickups yet.
Maxon PU-x series used Alnico 5.
How does the Screamin Bridge compare to your new EGF-850 bridge soundwise ?

The covers are original and I'd rather not pop them off as the guitar is in really good shape. The sound for the Double Tricks is is not like a Screamin at all, but more like a hot Alnico 2 pickup. The Greco catalog lists the D Tricks as having that double note sound that is present for certain original PAFs and it sounds like that to me. Having the bridge slightly hotter is a good thing in this case. I'll have to see if there are similarities between the PU-2 or not. I should just record a short Youtube bit and let you all decide.

JDB

Reaction score
there are some dry z around with dry-82 stickers, so could well be a pu2 wulf.

brizzle

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience pulling the covers off their dryz or pu2 pickups? I'm curious to hear the difference in sound. Maybe similar to when the Brits in the 60s pulled the covers off their pafs? I'm sure that would be sacreligious to the "cork-sniffers." By the way, hilarious you guys came up with that term.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience pulling the covers off their dryz or pu2 pickups? I'm curious to hear the difference in sound. Maybe similar to when the Brits in the 60s pulled the covers off their pafs?

I'm thinking about pulling the covers off the Bacchus pups....I was wondering the same thing...there's only one way to find out :D

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience pulling the covers off their dryz or pu2 pickups? I'm curious to hear the difference in sound. Maybe similar to when the Brits in the 60s pulled the covers off their pafs? I'm sure that would be sacreligious to the "cork-sniffers." By the way, hilarious you guys came up with that term.

I have removed covers from Dry Z, PU-2, Double Trick, Scream'in, and other non Maxon/Greco pups ....... still have a few sets to pop covers off of :) ......

I use wire cutters and whittle away at the soft solder & once it's about gone, I slip a small screw driver between the base & cover, then POP .......

AFA difference in sound once the covers are off :hmm: ............. dunno ...........

and AFA a meter; never owned one & probably never will :) .........................

if posting these links is against forum rules, which I don't know why it would be since it is relevant, then my sincere apologies :eek:
Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com :: View topic - Greco pickups under a Microscope ..........

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14150

brizzle

Reaction score
I have removed covers from Dry Z, PU-2, Double Trick, Scream'in, and other non Maxon/Greco pups ....... still have a few sets to pop covers off of :) ......

I use wire cutters and whittle away at the soft solder & once it's about gone, I slip a small screw driver between the base & cover, then POP .......

AFA difference in sound once the covers are off :hmm: ............. dunno ...........

and AFA a meter; never owned one & probably never will :) .........................

if posting these links is against forum rules, which I don't know why it would be since it is relevant, then my sincere apologies :eek:
Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com :: View topic - Greco pickups under a Microscope ..........

Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com :: View topic - Greco Dry Z pickups - uncovered ...........

That's right! The Dry Zebras! Too bad the pics are no longer showing up. What a cool find!

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score

bassbo530

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h86qEbt2Pjg]RARE 1984 GRECO GTZ w/ DRY Pickups JAMMIN !! - YouTube[/ame]
CHECK IT OUT !!:wow:

wulfman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, bit of a puzzle here with the readings from the output jack but I am sure o0mobius0o can figure if out somehow.

1980 Greco SG Custom
PU-2 Neck = 8.18k
PU-2 Middle = 2.76k
PU-2 Bridge = 4.09k

Standard 3-pickup configuration I guess where the middle and neck are grounded to the same volume. Must have the bridge and middle in parallel somehow and then.....:hmm:

Anyone?

EDIT: the volume knobs are wired strangely so that the bridge volume at 5 is actually louder than at 10, and reads around 7.5k. When in the bridge position the neck volume also is activated somehow. Could it be an out of phase mod? Perhaps a question for the wiring gurus in the Tonefreaks section?

Latest Threads