MIJ Pickup Data thread

Elmutcho

Reaction score
These maybe of interest.. finally took a look behind the pups of my killer Greco SA-500. They sound killer and have a very early serial number as far as I can identify.. any more info would be appreciated.

IMG_0925 (1).jpeg
IMG_4782 (2).jpeg
IMG_4783 (2).jpeg

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Greco Necro :naughty: Got a slightly hotter pair of Zs in my end of '80 EGF1200. Matching date codes 201125 (made Nov 25, 1980). Original-installed neck 8.14, bridge 8.06, room temperature 22C (72F). Showed slightly sonically, swapped 'em around, sounds more like it should :yesway:

Roxy13

Reaction score
That's interesting yours read that high. That was one of the reasons that pair on YJ was decided to be fakes. Of course the other is that at least one Z stamp looks wrong too.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I haven't owned any proper Dry Zs but have had some pretty good PAF clones (and even Dry Z clones). I have started to get the impression that the treble end is critical. So many HBs are a little harsh. The sweet treble ones often have too much mids or bass. Finding the perfect balance is hard. (especially for the neck). There are tricks like using 1M pots for volume. I am going to try that with a current PAF set I have. The bridge is awesome and the neck is muddy but has good treble. I ordered a 1M volume pot and might attempt to replicate a mid cut tone control that utilizes an inductor. I will post a thread on here regarding the 1M vol pot in the neck. Will take a while to get components to make a mid cut tone control though. If the bridge and neck match perfectly then you are lucky and can probably just utilize an equilizer pedal (or tweak amp settings).

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Mine were almost spot-on in their original positions, I just scratched the nagging itch by rotating them, glad I did. No outboard EQ or other effects needed. Can get my target tones, early ZZ Top, mellow to rude :cool:

Roxy13

Reaction score
@jimmyjames I believe you, dear :) I'm just adding this info to my brain for future reference.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Hi - Just bought a Tokai with Mk2's in it. Love the sound so far. Any ideas (roughly) what temp they'd be? Definitely hotter than my Seths.......

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Hi - Just bought a Tokai with Mk2's in it. Love the sound so far. Any ideas (roughly) what temp they'd be? Definitely hotter than my Seths.......

There were a few generations of MKII's, i can't tell you off the top of my head who made them in 2003 for yours, if i remember your red Tokai to be ?? Some years had a much hotter bridge, some years they were closer to each other (neck and bridge)

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Yep it's a red '03 LS135Q. Loving it so much I've named it Naamah. Bridge and Neck are well balanced, just have a fair bit of kick over the Seths. Someone said Gotoh maybe?

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
'03 might be Keiyo made MKII's. I'm not sure when the changeover was though to be honest. If its super important to you someone might know if you made a separate thread about that perhaps ??

Gotoh is the other possibility.

EG700

Reaction score
This is what I found in my H76XXXX Greco semi-hollow, advertised as an EG600 (though with no sticker to prove it).

I thought Maxon pickups started out with 5-digit serials, later moving to 6-digits?

So is it even Maxon?

If for any reason it's the production line digit (1, 2 ... etc.) that's missing, then as a date code this number 6813 works as a 13 August 1976 production date to match the H76 of the guitar itself.

However ... I had not heard of 4-digit Maxon codes before. Any comments, anyone?

Attachments

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Please help ID. Will post more info and readings later.
Nickel cover

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
U-1000 is the most likely candidate for a 1976 pickup with no other markings.

Latest Threads