MIJ Pickup Data thread

HorseyBoy

Reaction score
Is that a 3 piece top? And the inlays don't look like mother of pearl. Could be an EG-500 and the pickups U-1000. Looks nice either way!
I thought it was rare for a 500 to have a Super Real headstock? And I think it's a two-piece top, just not joined in the centre? And did 500s have fret edge binding? Wish it was easier to know!
More pics if that helps:

Last edited:

El Greco

Reaction score
I thought it was rare for a 500 to have a Super Real headstock?
Not common but not rare either! Usually were Super Powers!

did 500s have fret edge binding?
Yes they did

And I think it's a two-piece top, just not joined in the centre?
Now that's strange! I never seen an off centre two piece plain top! At first I thought it was three piece, which is normal for an EG-500 of the time, but that's strange! Of course there are other indicators, such as the type of finish, the fretboard inlays, the bar magnet inside the pickups etc. We 'll see in a couple of days!

HorseyBoy

Reaction score
Now that's strange! I never seen an off centre two piece plain top! At first I thought it was three piece, which is normal for an EG-500 of the time, but that's strange! Of course there are other indicators, such as the type of finish, the fretboard inlays, the bar magnet inside the pickups etc. We 'll see in a couple of days!
The joys of MIJ guitars - always something you've never seen before! I just assumed they wanted to keep the grain pattern of the larger piece so they moved it off centre.
The detective work is definitely part of the fun and I really appreciate the help - I need all I can get! I've got a 1981 SE700 Super Real Strat I picked up years ago in Tokyo (great guitar), but my experience with Greco EGs is limited to browsing/drooling over guitars on this board.

HorseyBoy

Reaction score
I think you were right first time, El Greco. Been talking to the seller (who bought the guitar in Japan as an EG900) and it turns out there is a third piece on the top but the grain is matched so well even he didn't see it until he went looking for it under a strong light. But he did a spot check with thinner and the finish is definitely nitro! So, it's likely an EG-500 with the Super Real headstock and a nitro finish.
Anyway, that means the pickups are definitely U-1000s. I won't clutter this thread with more pics of the guitar but will do a new post when it arrives.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know what pickups are in my '88(guessing here) Burny Custom RLC60, but I'm guessing VHII. Still has the stock green chicklet caps.

Bridge reads 8.12K
Neck reads 8.03K

My '78 stone logo Burny oxblood wraptail kinda threw me though...

Factory pickups are Fernandes L-102's. Stock pots/caps.

I thought the stock pickups were very hot, but not only do they not read hot, the neck is hotter than the bridge.

Bridge reads 7.76K
Neck reads 8.12K

Cool thread. I'll have to pull the pups so I can get pics of the baseplates and more accurate readings.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Are they urethane potted like these? They came from my 1975 FLG. Always thought they were L-104.

HorseyBoy

Reaction score
Quick follow up to add some extra info on these pups (which I think are U-1000s) from my 1980 Greco EG-500 (again, I think).

Pickups are both dated January 22, 1980.
When I got the guitar, there was a problem with the bridge pickup cutting out (which took me a while to track down: I replaced the switch, the volume pot and the caps before I finally realised it was the pickup itself). So a luthier mate and I opened it up and one of the link wires coming off the coil was broken. Unfortunately we were so excited that we'd tracked down the problem, this was the only photo we took:

But I can tell you the magnets were definitely metal, not ceramic, and were separated with wooden (probably maple?) spacers. So maybe the switch to ceramic came after January 22,1980.
Anyway, with everything up and running now, the pups measure (with a multimeter attached to a patch cord in the jack):

Neck: 7.84
Bridge: 7.80

Sound great, too!

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought an eg500 a few weeks ago, looks just like yours with the exception of the Super Real headstock. My pups say 281202 on them and I am assuming the same as you have. Not sure if I like them yet or not... How does the FEB look down at the 17-22 frets? Mine looks like someone used a dull chisel to knock the binding down, also the TRC looks like someone that was blind drilled the holes, it is shifted to the right big time. I bought it online so I couldn't really take a close look. It plays well and it weighs 10.8lbs. The neck on mine is maple. It's a 79 and the neck is on the thinner side

HorseyBoy

Reaction score
I just bought an eg500 a few weeks ago, looks just like yours with the exception of the Super Real headstock. My pups say 281202 on them and I am assuming the same as you have. Not sure if I like them yet or not... How does the FEB look down at the 17-22 frets? Mine looks like someone used a dull chisel to knock the binding down, also the TRC looks like someone that was blind drilled the holes, it is shifted to the right big time. I bought it online so I couldn't really take a close look. It plays well and it weighs 10.8lbs. The neck on mine is maple. It's a 79 and the neck is on the thinner side
So your pups date to December 2, 1978, which fits perfectly for a 79 Greco.
Fret-edge binding on mine is really nice all along the neck. Truss rod cover is nice, too. I made a NGD thread with more pics here: http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-1980-greco-super-real-eg-500.408812/
That should give you a really good idea.
I love the pups in mine. I did spend a lot of time setting the pickup height and the tweaking all the pole pieces to my liking though. Might be worth a shot on yours.

Lamf77

Reaction score
Came across this Goya Les Paul Custom and snagged it last week. Can find little info on it.

Pickups look like the type on an old Electra I bought years ago. Maxon? And the bridge and tailpiece are marked "made in Japan". So I conclude Japanese made, but that is about it.

I am including some pictures and I was hoping someone could provide some information on the guitar and the pickups.
Thanks!

sideclean.jpg
headstocknosticker.jpg
bridge.jpg
bridgebucker.jpg
Hi,

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Maxon with S stamp from May 1977, first production run. I had a pair that sounded pretty good.

rockgod212

Reaction score
what type is it though, paf style- pu-1000, 2000, super 70 etc. what magnet? its about 8.1k so I assume its a bridge pup- how would it sound as a neck pup. just curious.

krugerj

Reaction score
What's up guys, picked up some old Japanese pickups that came out of an old Greco (according to where I bought them from), but we don't know the model of them. They measure 7.67k (braided cable) and 7.75k (plain cable). The plain cabled one has an inked stamp and nothing else, and the braided cable has no stamp or engraving whatsoever. Under the green sticker is just 7.67k scratched into the baseplate and nothing else.

Anybody know what these pickups might be??

Thanks!

IMG_3713.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg

cayle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I picked up an old Greco LP. Apparently these are the ones made by Tokai from the late 80s/early 90s. no serial, and has that square route on the pickup cavity. I'm not sure if the pickups that came with it are stock but they're covered and have braided wires. B and N stamped at the baseplate. Anyone ever seen one of these?

received_2532252607001851 by Cicayle Nico Pua, on Flickr

stevie777

Reaction score
Could someone identify these pickups, please.

They came from a Greco but the serial number on the pickups doesn't match the guitar by 15 years.

Screenshot_2474.png
Screenshot_2474.png
Screenshot_2476.png
Screenshot_2475.png

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
99% likely to be U-1000 pickups with Alnico 8 magnets.

Latest Threads