MIJ Pickup Data thread

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just an observation and a questions before I get out the meter. The U-1000 and U-2000 are not stamped on the back but rather just have pickup codes. The U-3000 and U-4000 are stamped like the PU-2, PU-1, PU-0.

Question: if the resistance is measured directly from the pickup wire for pickups that are not installed, will the resistance be lower or higher than if measured from the guitar cable end?

These U-1000 are from 1976.

JDB

Reaction score
I think the reading varries quite a bit for the same pups eg. my Dry Z's measure about 7K flat compaired to James dry Z's. I also have 2 sets of dry 82s, 1 set is in the high 7's and the other in the low 7's. So it would be tough trying to ID them by this alone.
I will post some actual readings when I find my meter. Its lost (bloody kids).

reborn old

Reaction score
Just an observation and a questions before I get out the meter. The U-1000 and U-2000 are not stamped on the back but rather just have pickup codes. The U-3000 and U-4000 are stamped like the PU-2, PU-1, PU-0.

Question: if the resistance is measured directly from the pickup wire for pickups that are not installed, will the resistance be lower or higher than if measured from the guitar cable end?

These U-1000 are from 1976.[/url]
Oh OK, I updated your info in my earlier post, to minimize confusion. Thanks for the pic.
As to your question, the 4 to 5 ohm total resistance of guitar wiring and an external cord are almost insignificant when compared to a 7k to 15k ohm pickup reading. It's a factor of less than 1/10 of 1%, as long as volume and tone pots have a resistance of 0, by being all set at 10. :)

Ohjay

Reaction score
Both are Maxon custom made pickups with Udonitron's being only 6 months newer than yours Ohjay.
Aug 27th 1975 for yours and Udonitron's were produced on Feb 23rd 1976.
The 1st digit is usually a 1 or 2 on Maxon ink serial pickups
Thanks!

Only tried them briefly in the guitar they came in, but they sounded quite good. Gonna try them in an LP soon.

You'll get a higher reading when measuring straight from the pickup.
When you measure from the guitar cable you'll lose a couple of Ohms in the reading. There is minimal loss in the wiring, pots, caps & cable which all add up to a few Ohm.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Bah I need to read the whole thread before typing up an answer lol.
Ohjay is right on the loss via a guitar cable
Longer the cable, the more resistance/degradation/loss of ohms

reborn old

Reaction score

You guys might be right from an "output signal loss" standpoint, to your amp (because it's a millivolts signal through 2 to 5 ohms to your preamp), but I measured resistance at the end of an 8 ft long 5 ohm cheapo cord and then again at PU lead ends and resistance readings were pretty close to the same. I was tempted to unsolder pickup leads also, in case of in circuit loading, but I'll wait until next week for new pickups to arrive before checking that aspect. I'll measure at pickup leads and then in circuit at that time, which will hopefully yield a correction factor if one is even needed.
If you guys feel like waiting before submitting "installed pickup" results, that's fine. I should have a more definitive answer and a correction factor if needed, mid week. :)

. . .

Reaction score
The length of the cord used is neglectable, as it measures in ohms, while pickups and pots are in the kilo (thousand) ohm range. What throws off the measurements is the loading effect caused by the potentiometer and capacitor.

The length of the cable increases resistance, which also means increase in ohms.

I don't mean to crawl up anyone's ass by pointing this out, but all of the readings in this thread (except for the cable resistance) should be in the Kohm range instead of ohms. It might not seem significant to most, but it makes it a lot easier to grasp the magnitude.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
All these pickup ranges posted are measured in Kohm (20K) thus the 0.00K ranges in the comments above.
Do you mean they are being measured in DC resistance vs. impedance?
Inductance is the most important factor as similar to different woods in every guitar, each pickup can have different gauge wire, more or less strands, bobbin winds, magnet structure etc that can all have a factor in ohm measurement.
It would matter using this ideal if you had 2 of the exact same pup with the same method of production and then compare the resistances to find something out

EDIT

I suppose how we compare all these MIJ's being very similar over all the same can be said for pups and thus the DC resistance is a good ballpark method.
I have an inductance meter, I should use it to see what is up

reborn old

Reaction score
What throws off the measurements is the loading effect caused by the potentiometer and capacitor....
Not likely the pots in this case, because it was stressed all pots must be set to 10, which is effectively a direct short. (pot resistances all 0 ohms)
The electrolytic caps may have an inherent in circuit resistance parallel to the pickups, which would cause different readings in circuit vs disconnected pickups.

I will check 4 different pickups:
a- connected through an 8 ft cord, with all controls set to 10 (0 ohms through all pots),
b- at connected pickup solder joints and
c- at unconnected pickup cable lead ends hopefully by midweek when new pickups arrive.

...and hopefully put this to rest.

.... but all of the readings in this thread (except for the cable resistance) should be in the Kohm range instead of ohms.
I think most everyone here, grasps that pickups are between 7,000 ohms and 15,000 ohms while cables are 2 to 5 ohms.

I have an inductance meter, I should use it to see what is up
You can for curiosity sake, but for purposes of information gathering, everyone else is using a cheap reasonably accurate multimeter.
You might very well prove or dispel the whole "inductance vs resistance" argument I tried to avert in my opening post
if you measure with both .. :D

slapshot

Reaction score
1.all my data is from nude pickups
2.can I add Burny data here?

reborn old

Reaction score
1.all my data is from nude pickups
2.can I add Burny data here?
Sure, everyone is welcome to post their data. It is particularly useful if you know what pickups they are, or which Burny model pickups are from... VH1, VH3,... VH6?

JDB

Reaction score
The first two are measured with a 1 foot cord into jack.

DryZ-Neck 6.90K Bridge 6.91K( however from memeory I measured these before they went in and were closer to 7.00K ).

PU-2 Neck 7.61K bridge 7.36k.

The next two are not installed so is just a straight reading.

Dry-82 1990. neck 7.85k bridge 7.76k

Dry-82 1995. neck 7.48k bridge 7.48k

reborn old

Reaction score
Multimeter found :D
Great info, thanks JDB.

If you guys want to post pickup years also, it might help mitigate
value changes, particularly in long pickup production runs like Tokai or Burny..

JDB

Reaction score
And screamin 82 1987 neck 7.63 Bridge 7.65.

I also have some other Maxons from a nav and an older greco but will do that another time coz I think some pics of these pups would be good too.

jacco

Reaction score
Very good idea Reborn Old and good luck with keeping up with catagorizing the data, that's one hell of a job. I guess you already have obtained the pickup data from the Burny pickup data thread for you participated in that one too, if not: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/121409-please-post-your-burny-pickup-data-here.html

o0mobius0o is the one that knows a lot about resistence & inductance. Here's some quotes from the Burny pickup data thread when discussing it with Chris.

Absolutely not. Inductance can change with magnet placement, degaussing, etc, but not resistance.

Measuring the resistance of a pickup is a good way of identification, telling you how many miles of 43 AWG wire are on the bobbins. Measuring the inductance will tell you more about the character of the pickup.
Yes, electrical conductors have a temperature coefficient. The resistance will be less when cold. Here is a chart of wire resistance / km, just so you can get an idea of how much wire is involved. Pickups are typically wound with 42 or 43 AWG, which this chart doesn't cover, but you can extrapolate.

Copper Wire Chart - The Thelen Channel

Touching the probes when taking your reading will put your skin resistance in parallel with what you're trying to measure. Skin resistance is usually in the Megohms, but can drop lower on hot, sweaty days.

Also, your suggestion of making the resistance measurement using the jack connections will leave the 500K pot in parallel with the pickup. Probably better to lift the pickup wire.

1 / (1/500K + 1/x)

If your pickup is 7.5K, it will read 7.38K with the pot in there too.
I personally have tested pickups on the leads and with resp a 1m & 6m length cable (Vovox cable). I got no difference in readings between the 1 & 6m cable but had a difference in the same ballpark as calculated by o0mobius0o.

A lot of Greco LPs have the 100k/300k pot combo btw!

reborn old

Reaction score
... I guess you already have obtained the pickup data from the Burny pickup data thread for you participated in that one too, if not: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/121409-please-post-your-burny-pickup-data-here.html

o0mobius0o is the one that knows a lot about resistence & inductance.

A lot of Greco LPs have the 100k/300k pot combo btw!
No I didn't follow that thread (never had the pleasure of owning a Burny)
but will add resistance data for known L-800x, VH-x + Gotoh Burny pickups to what I have, if you don't mind.
It would save interested parties the trouble of re-posting them.

Thanks for the info :)

space

Reaction score
Ibanez Pickups (Maxon)
Super 58s 7.52 alnico III
Super 70s 7.92 alnico VIII
Super 80s 8.5 Ceramic
V2s 15.5
T

reborn old

Reaction score
Thanks. I think the Super 70's might be Alnico 7 alloys however ?

Latest Threads