MIJ Pickup Data thread

lespaulcustom76

Reaction score
Yes, they are July 25th 1980 Maxons, most likely UD, U-1000 or U-2000's
due to a lack of other back markings.
You can resistance test magnets to see if they are ceramic or Alnico as outlined earlier in this thread.
That should help rule out either UD's, which used non conductive ceramic magnets, or U-2000's,
which always used ferrous Alnico magnets.
I'm not sure when U-1000's switched from use of Alnico 8's to ceramic magnets. :hmm:
All three pickup types were within the same resistance ranges as yours,
so that's about the best you can hope for from an identification standpoint.
I will do! thanks very much :)

Eigen

Reaction score
I'm looking at an old Maxon pickup stamped with a large "A" in addition to the serial.

Any ideas?

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep, go ahead and buy them. Probably PU-2s. Pair on yahoo now if those are the ones you are looking at.

Eigen

Reaction score
Thanks wulfman.

I am not looking at the ones on yahoo. My EG700 finally arrived. I took it apart to clean it and replace the strings and noticed the A on the bridge pickup. I assumed the bridge must have been replaced in the past 35 years, however, after posting I went back to finish the guitar and found out that the neck also has the A stamped, it is just not as noticable.

Whatever these pups are U-2k of PU-2, they are killer, that old school lester snarl when overdriven and bright cleans. Loving the Greco, think I might have to buy another from the Super Real era. :) Took some nice photos might made an NGD thread later.

Now I see what all the fuss around Maxon pickups is all about, I might bid on the ones on the ones on yahoo as well, unless someone from this forum has his eye on them.

brizzle

Reaction score
I very nervously performed the peter green mod on my lp's dry z neck pu. What can I say, I was sick with a fever and dehydrated...seemed like no big deal. Once I started I realized what I was doing but there was no going back. Anyway, there was quite a lot of wax potting in there that I had to soften to get the magnet out. But I finally got everything back together and it sounds really great, much better than the same mod with the pu2 which cancelled each other out way too much. I think the intentional non precision that went into the dryz's had something to do with less cancelling and letting more volume through. So my data points(not exactly data) are, lots of wax potting and PG mod friendly.

Eigen

Reaction score
To add to this thread, I think that the "A" stamped pups I received in a 1980 EG700, are indeed U-2000's and not PU-2's as the "A" would suggest. Primarily this is due to the low winding resistance. Very bright and transparent as a result of the low wind and A5, exactly what I look for in a humbucker.

The specs:

U-2000's
N: 7.83k
B: 7.74k

I suppose a more important data point than the actual resistances, which are average for a U-2000, it the fact that an "A" stamp does not necessarily indicate a PU-2. So beware in your future purchases from YJ and elsewhere.

cvrle1

Reaction score
i bought a Maxon pickup from YJ that had very little info on it. Tried searching google, but couldnt find info, so wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is.

Maxon, Pat. Pend. engraved on the back. Greco cover (could be non original) It looks like there was some sort of Japanese character on the left side. No idea if it was part of the pickup, or some sticker that was placed on there, and then left residue.

8.40K ohms

Thanks for the help

reborn old

Reaction score
They are early 70's models with Gneco badges.
(copies of Gibson LP Deluxe pickups with embossed G!bson covers offered from late 1970~early 1973),
so these would precede 1975+ U-1000 => U-4000, PU-2 + Dry Z's.
Sorry, I have no idea if they are comparable to 1975+ offerings.

cvrle1

Reaction score
They are early 70's models with Gneco badges.
(copies of Gibson LP Deluxe pickups with embossed G!bson covers offered from late 1970~early 1973),
so these would precede 1975+ U-1000 => U-4000, PU-2 + Dry Z's.
Sorry, I have no idea if they are comparable to 1975+ offerings.

Thanks for the info. At least that gives me a year range to look for info wise. Hopefully someone else chimes in with bit more info about it.

Lev1nson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i could not to recognize my Maxon pickups from Aria HF 5502 aprox. 1979.
Here is the bridge pickup.

Dou you have any ideas what is the model?

[email protected]

Reaction score
Recently found out I had some Maxon pickups on a Greco guitar, but I was not able to figure out what model of Maxons these are. Is this thread still active? Could anyone help me figure out the serial?

It means it is from 1973? June 14th? But what model is the first digit representing?

Also, this humbucker had the Greco(Gneco) logo on front.

JDB

Reaction score
No way of telling really unless you can identify the guitar they came from then find a catalgue to see what pickups came in the model. The first number only represents the production line.

dandorledo

Reaction score
Interesting info Reborn. I have had 4 Greco LPs from 1986/1990 and all had braided shielded wiring, no plastics. Two had what should have been Screamin and the other two should have had Dry82. I have seen photos of the DRY82 pickups with black covers that had plastic shielding but no other examples. Are there any particular examples of EG models (non-customs) after 1985 that have plastic wires?

Pics of what are probably "Dry 82" from 1990 Greco.

Hi Wulfman, I know it's an old thread but I got a great 89 or 90 GRECO , closed O, Superb quality, with a 20mm 2 centered pieces of Plain figured maple Top,a great quality mahogany body and neck,ABR alu tune o matic,Alu stop bar and the pickups look exactly like yours on the pics: super vintage sounding,cleans well,(very close to PAF sound in fact) they got braided leads with black wires, but they are covered; not removed yet: and I also noticed that the pots were of good quality with a number on the back, and they got 2 Black PIO capacitors...0.022 & 600v...brand name is "FUJICON"...If you have some infos about these PUS or about the Guitar, You are welcome...and everybody can give infos if you got some...Thanks Men :welcome:

;

;

;

;

;

;

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hello, I can't see the pictures for some reason but a 1989-90 Greco usually would have Screamin pickups. The big difference is they use ceramic magnets instead of Alnico. They sound a bit different but are fine pickups on their own.

Kazman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a new Greco owner. I bought two Super Real EGF-850's ('81 with PU-2's and an '82 with Double Tricks) in the last month. After the first - I needed a second. I think I have a problem :). I have not received the second one yet. The first is beautiful. I bought it from GC used. It was mislabeled as an EG-900. To my surprise it had flame maple and an EGF-850 sticker on the back (I mean really, GC?). So got it for 1100 in very good condition. Plugged it in their amp room next to two new traditional Gibson les pauls and it smoked them. So much warmer to my ears and it just felt better. So needless to say I am ecstatic with this one. My question is on the second one it has Double Tricks, but I also bought a pair for vintage Dimarzio PAFs, as I was originally thinking of getting the EG-900. I have read countless threads but really haven't seen a comparison of the Double Tricks (supposedly Dark and PU-2 like) vs the Dimarzio's (supposedly brighter and crunchier? BTW - mine have readings of 7.96 and 7.64). Of course I would plug them in and try it out, but was wondering what you guys thought about the difference tonally on those two sets and the PU-2s. I kind of want one guitar to have a fat sound (the PU-2 sounds fine here) and one more like an SG (which is why I got the Dimarzios). Thoughts?

Pics of the '81 EGF-850:

Thanks,
James

Last edited:

HorseyBoy

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Hope I can add to the info in this great thread.
I just picked up this 1980 Super Real EG900. Should have it in my hands in a couple of days. No sticker on the back of the headstock but I'm pretty sure it's an EG900 because it weighs 4.65kg (10 pounds, 4 ounces).

The pickups both have the same Maxon date codes (January 22, 1980) but no other marking. Look like this:

I'm guessing they're DiMarzio's with Maxon codes, although I've seen others that also carry a DiMarzio label. I guess they could also be PU-2s. I'll break out the multimeter when it arrives.
Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread over the years. I learned a lot in the 3.7 hours it took me to read it all today…

El Greco

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Hope I can add to the info in this great thread.
I just picked up this 1980 Super Real EG900. Should have it in my hands in a couple of days. No sticker on the back of the headstock but I'm pretty sure it's an EG900 because it weighs 4.65kg (10 pounds, 4 ounces).

The pickups both have the same Maxon date codes (January 22, 1980) but no other marking. Look like this:

I'm guessing they're DiMarzio's with Maxon codes, although I've seen others that also carry a DiMarzio label. I guess they could also be PU-2s. I'll break out the multimeter when it arrives.
Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread over the years. I learned a lot in the 3.7 hours it took me to read it all today…
Is that a 3 piece top? And the inlays don't look like mother of pearl. Could be an EG-500 and the pickups U-1000. Looks nice either way!

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a new Greco owner. I bought two Super Real EGF-850's ('81 with PU-2's and an '82 with Double Tricks) in the last month. After the first ......
Double Tricks are quite versatile (got 'em in my '81 8fiddy), they will work with varations to boost/od and EQ, depending on your gear. Dimarzios would probably suit better for SG sounds, plugged straight into an amp tho'

Latest Threads