MIJ Goldtops that age/fade

soliloquy

Reaction score
Hey folks,
wondering what direction I should look at if I'm looking for a MIJ Les Paul that has a finish which will age, check, score, and potentially fade to slight green over time?
I understand that guitars like Epiphone or Edwards wont age due to their use of poly finish.
So what about Greco, Edwards, Burny, etc?

and while we are at it, post your gold tops here

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Early 80s Burnys are shot with acrylic or something and weather nicely, but no green.

uqpkif6em7xfzi1bv2zu.jpg

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I haven't seen many Grecos age. The nitro they used had plasticizers in it. The 2 nitro finished Grecos I had looked like poly. No checking at all. You might have more luck getting a guitar that has had damage or a bad attempt at a paint job. Some of the Greco EGFs had their veneers crack or separate. I seem to remember a member on here refinished a Greco LP and did some aging of the finish. It looked pretty cool. The advantage of a gold top is that you just have to refin the top. Maybe you could rescue one of those bad clown bust LPs.

I had a 10 year old Bacchus that was supposed to have top lacquer. It looked like a brand new guitar. I had a Seventy Seven Exrubato that was similar. Most of the Tokais I have seen didn't have the aged nitro thing happening either. I think the only MIJ guitars that will age like old school nitro are the Navigators. They use a nitro finish that ages like the old stuff. If you are in Australia, Sydney Guitar Setups claims to have spray cans using the 1960s nitro formula. I am sure there are other options in Europe and North America.

currypowder

Reaction score
Tokai has a few recent models that are all lacquer and have brass powder in the finish. I would think that combo would age and green. Here's one, and I know there are '57 style models as well:

I have a Deviser made Sonix '54 style, but I'm pretty sure it has a poly base coat and top lacquer. I'm guessing it won't show its age much, if at all.

y4mcSBsjOeV1qsTSlf_oBduLv6BmbHxUCawzsz-d2krGAHVFLxfpH12zFSNwvHyEAWTYSG6DBsqZJj3KTiHjvcNXfDi6Y1beQ5BhpPanVzcZN9MFU6Bipqoi5dJW99AuY4RSbPZok02y2-2TOR2Ra4f-1jEVbJydYDvOLfuiyGgHMjyVVCMEV2gbBdrgV9hkhYR

soliloquy

Reaction score
Man, i'm really craving a goldtop. Maybe slap a bigsby on it or keep it a floating saddle on it.
so much class....

I dont mind going through the Gibson Tribute goldtop (think it was 2017 model?). They supposedly have super thin finish, so they crack/check/score rather easily, which has its own appeal. Price is more or less the same all through out (ranging from early $1,000 to about $1,600ish CAD).

Hydra19

Reaction score
Navigator goldtops check like crazy, most of the ones I've seen have lots of checking, including my own. It had checking ever since I got it and it was made around 2000

Latest Threads