MIJ Flying V - Mystery

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum at least officially, so glad to have finally registered.

This is a bit of an odd one.

Years ago, after discovering the Japanese copies of Gibsons, like Burny, Greco, Ibanez, Aria et cetera,I set my sights on buying a Flying V. Gibsons were a bit pricey at the time so I found a used Cherrywood ‘import’ V for a good price in the UK, which is where I am based. Once I had the guitar at home there were some obvious changes to what would originally have been its spec and it was quite beaten up! The previous owner had made that quite clear though so I knew what I was buying. Firstly there was a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, not stock. They were mini Grover tuners, not stock. The most interesting thing was the Ibanez super 80s pick up in the neck position and I also noticed after some time that the Guitar’s legs were smaller than on an average Flying V.

Which is why now after nearly 10 years I am writing this post, took my time! I had previously posted something similar many years ago but couldn’t get much information back. I’ve scoured through catalogues, Internet searches and not found a similar looking V.I’m attaching pictures of what it originally looked like once I received it.

My mods:
Graphtech nut
Duesenberg tremolo
Painted it black
Changed vol and tone knobs

Below are photos and some specs that I can give which might help trace his guitar to its maker. Any help would be appreciated, I’m just curious. Thanks again.

Set neck construction
Neck width: about 5cm
Neck depth: about 2cm
Had a rectangular stop tail piece not Gibson like (now replaced with a Duesenberg tremolo)

Body is made of two parts, split line can be seen on the side of the body.

Pointed headstock / no truss rod cover (Recently added a smaller black one)

Scratchplate has a non pointy edge on the bottom left

Was originally Cherry Red

Ibanez Super 80’s Pickup in the neck, might’ve had a Super 70’s in the bridge at one point

Attachments

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Could it be a import for the UK model Arbiter V ??

Its been so modded its hard to really say what it started as..... lookslike a rocket roll model Ibanez at first glance and if the super 80 is original then that would make sense . I'd guess Mats made myself however i have no Flying V's to compare. Love a good mystery though. Hope you get further leads

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
Could it be a import for the UK model Arbiter V ??

Its been so modded its hard to really say what it started as..... lookslike a rocket roll model Ibanez at first glance and if the super 80 is original then that would make sense . I'd guess Mats made myself however i have no Flying V's to compare. Love a good mystery though. Hope you get further leads
Thanks for the reply. I’d thought the same for a while; Arbiter / Ibanez but there’s certain details that don’t quite match up. The tailpiece, flattened point on the scratchplate, the set neck versus bolt on...but who knows it could be a slight variation. Truth is it plays well and has a unique feel to it because of it’s slightly smaller size. By no means do I reckon it’s a rare or valued item but I’ve warmed to it very much and any extra info would be interesting.

Reactions: Who

Grenville

Reaction score
I don't think Ibanez made a '67 style V in set neck, only the '58 style.

Also, the pickup cavities are too square, my understanding is the humbucker routes in Ibanez copies were this shape:

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
I don't think Ibanez made a '67 style V in set neck, only the '58 style.

Also, the pickup cavities are too square, my understanding is the humbucker routes in Ibanez copies were this shape:
Hi Grenville,

Thanks for the extra detailed info. We might get somewhere as to sourcing the origin!

LP Traditional

Reaction score
The color of the guitar and the pick guard reminds me of Hoyer.
Do you have a picture of the tail piece?
And a close up front and back of the head stock?

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
This is the tail piece and roller bridge. I’ve also included the back and front of the headstock (sanded pre being painted). I’ve just had a look at Hoyer’s and from what I can find, that’s the closest V to mine, could very well be it.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That bridge and squared-off tailpiece look like hardware from ABM-Mueller out of Germany. I might look at European brands from the late '70s/early '80s. Seems like there were a few of them that kind of switched to Japanese production around that time while using kind of a hodge-podge of Euro/Asian hardware. That is definitely the same kind of roller bridge Guild was using from Mueller in the '70s/'80s, though.

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
That bridge and squared-off tailpiece look like hardware from ABM-Mueller out of Germany. I might look at European brands from the late '70s/early '80s. Seems like there were a few of them that kind of switched to Japanese production around that time while using kind of a hodge-podge of Euro/Asian hardware. That is definitely the same kind of roller bridge Guild was using from Mueller in the '70s/'80s, though.
Fantastic, thanks for that. I’m gonna have a good hunt for ABM-Mueller.

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
I’ve managed to find the pickup that was in the bridge position, it seems to be a Gibson Paf. Serial 2,737,842 - read a little about these and this particular serial. Not sure if this helps as it’s clear the guitar is not Gibson, so this either a copy of a Paf or this replaced whatever the original pickup may have been.

Attachments

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Those TP's came on 70's MIJ's as well.
The pup covers I have seen before but cannot recall where.

Ace Warslave

Reaction score
The patent on the pup is gibson T-TOP only there is,

no T on the top of the pup..:hmm:

NotScott

Reaction score
I can't help you on the origins of your guitar but perhaps you can help me. I have a V that I want to put a trem on and it appears to have a similarly cut pickguard as yours. According to Duesenberg, they say the pickguard needs to be cut so that the trem edge with the spring can sit flush to the body. It does not appear that your pickguard is cut. Can you tell me how your trem is installed and if it stays in tune. Thanks!

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
I can't help you on the origins of your guitar but perhaps you can help me. I have a V that I want to put a trem on and it appears to have a similarly cut pickguard as yours. According to Duesenberg, they say the pickguard needs to be cut so that the trem edge with the spring can sit flush to the body. It does not appear that your pickguard is cut. Can you tell me how your trem is installed and if it stays in tune. Thanks!
Hi there. I deliberated for a very long time as to what kind of trem to install, be it a bigsby or other but the Duesenberg was a recommendation and fortunately it fit perfectly. Not sure if the pick guard on this V is the same to a Gibson’s, but I’d imagine it was designed for branded instruments. Happy to help by sending measurements if need be.
The trem works well and mostly keeps in tune. I can be a little heavy handed with it so perhaps that’s my fault!

Fromtherock86

Reaction score
Actually, I say perfect but I have noticed the base for the spring is a few mm’s on the pick guard.

Attachments

Latest Threads