MIJ Experts ... what is a "DIA" guitar?

red_bull

Reaction score
Came across this, haven't had a chance a play. But before I make the effort (kind of far away), can anyone tell me what the heck it is? Internet has next to nothing except for people asking the same question. And that bridge pickup is kind of scary looking!

Attachments

GammyBird

Reaction score
Yup, not a lot about them but it's there.

Matsumoku
Matsumoku is one of the Japanese manufacturers that did not survive long after the heyday of the 1970's guitar market despite having a long tradition of quality stringed instrument craftsmanship. Matsumoku produced guitars for major manufacturers Greco, Guyatone and Yamaha. Matsumoku made Arai, Aria, Aria Pro II and Aria Diamond badges, with Aria being their primary badge for a majority of this time frame. Badged guitars known to have been made by Matsumoku include Apollo, Arita, Barclay, Burny, Capri, Columbus, Conrad, Cortez (electrics only), Country, Cutler, Dia, Domino, Electra, Epiphone, Granada, Hi Lo, Howard, Ibanez, Lindberg, Lyle, Luxor, Maxitone (this guitar differs from Tama's Maxitone badge), Mayfair, Memphis, Montclair, Pan, Pearl (electrics only), Raven, Stewart, Tempo, Univox ,Vantage, Ventura, Vision, Volhox, Washburn (in 1979 and 1980), Westbury, Westminster and Westone. Possible Matsumoku badges include: Bruno, Crestwood, Conqueror, Eros, Mako, Memphis, Orlando and Toledo.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Sounds alright. Probably not worth more than $300 given the bold on neck.

Edited....

red_bull

Reaction score
Yeah I asked seller to have a look at what pickups are in yhrtr. If they happen to be some of the better known MIJs would be worth a look anyway. Those 2 screws for bolt on a re a bit cheap looking though !

syndromet

Reaction score
The neck joint on that univox doesn't look glued in to me...

BGD

Reaction score
Some digging and I think they were made at Matsumoko factory, which is good.
That initial MIJ FAQ link... it says right there that Dia is made by Matsumoko. That's why Gammy linked you up, and then even highlighted the passage. So it was more than just one embedded word.

The two bolts are for added stability, yes. But it's still, then, considered a bolt-on, and probably not really worth $300.

syndromet

Reaction score
Looks like a pancake mahogny body with a bolt on 3 piece maple neck and a three piece top. The rounded treboard makes me think it was made by Matsumoku. It's a cool guitar in it's own right, and that case looks cool. I'd buy it at the right price (<200$), but I often buy the junk nobody else wants....

red_bull

Reaction score
Looks like a pancake mahogny body with a bolt on 3 piece maple neck and a three piece top. The rounded treboard makes me think it was made by Matsumoku. It's a cool guitar in it's own right, and that case looks cool. I'd buy it at the right price (<200$), but I often buy the junk nobody else wants....
I think the CL Univox description is correct, that it's a set neck and 2 bolts are just added stability. That explains the tongue that comes down at the heel, which bolt ons don't need. The case looks like an Ibanez. I agree it's a funky little number, and even though it's a color-scheme I normally wouldn't like, if it has good pups and the price is right ... :hmm:

slapshot

Reaction score
no they're bolt ons made the same way a Les Paul is as opposed to the Fender style pocket & join.

the case is the generic metal rimmed piece of shit from tons of manufactures you'll wear a hole in it with the headstock it touches the bottom so much.Ibanez cases are stitched no metal ring

Attachments

chasenblues

Reaction score
I think the CL Univox description is correct, that it's a set neck and 2 bolts are just added stability. That explains the tongue that comes down at the heel, which bolt ons don't need. The case looks like an Ibanez. I agree it's a funky little number, and even though it's a color-scheme I normally wouldn't like, if it has good pups and the price is right ... :hmm:

Both of these are clearly a bolt on neck joints,
You can see the edges where the neck and the body meet.
No glue.
The fit on one in the OP is better looking than the one in the CL link.
Look at the gap between the heel and the body in the second pic.

red_bull

Reaction score
Both of these are clearly a bolt on neck joints,
You can see the edges where the neck and the body meet.
No glue.
The fit on one in the OP is better looking than the one in the CL link.
Look at the gap between the heel and the body in the second pic.

found this on a Univox LP description:

"This Univox Gimme guitar neck has the rare internal two screws and two external two screws. The neck is not glued in, it can be removed with the 4 screws."

I guess that explains it. The internal screws would be accessible via the neck pup cavity?

chasenblues

Reaction score
found this on a Univox LP description:

"This Univox Gimme guitar neck has the rare internal two screws and two external two screws. The neck is not glued in, it can be removed with the 4 screws."

I guess that explains it. The internal screws would be accessible via the neck pup cavity?

If you're in contact with the seller of the guitar in the OP ask them to take the front pickup out and take a picture of the cavity.

warmachine

Reaction score
Came across this, haven't had a chance a play. But before I make the effort (kind of far away), can anyone tell me what the heck it is? Internet has next to nothing except for people asking the same question. And that bridge pickup is kind of scary looking!
I believe Penco and Ventura copies sometimes used that mini neckplate. I've for sure seen them on their 335 copies.

Latest Threads