"MIJ" Bargain of the day!

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I don't know man, that doesn't look the part of MIJ to me. That split diamonds too small. The 3 screw trussrod cover. The cutout of the top of the headstock ??Its a bolt on so maybe thats a different model ?? I've been wrong before.

jim777

Reaction score
Guys (and gals?), I am looking to grab another nice Japanese LP now that I have my Tokai HLS, but I'd like a nice flamed top (if possible) tobacco burst, like a dark burst Gibson GO, but with a bit of flame. What brands and models are out there that are recent that I should be looking at? Should I be looking at 80's guitars by Greco or Burny maybe? I only ask because it seems all the newish ones are some flavor of cherry burst of "violin burst" which seems to be a faded cherry burst anyway. Thanks in advance! :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm definitely not one of the experts around here but I have seen darkbursts/tobacco bursts in Aria, Burny, Greco, Tokai for sure (older ones though). I think I have seen some Bacchus and Orville/ObG as well. I would also check History and Crews. Probably would not hurt to look at Navigator or Momose if you have the funds for one.

Not sure if it is still there but TC Gakki had a nice looking Aria with P90s on Reverb. It was on the lighter side weight wise too.

mono

Reaction score
Does it need to be a solid flame top or is veneer ok for you? Both play the same that will have an impact on your choices

jim777

Reaction score
I just think a bit of flame would be nice, but I don't need anything like you'd typically see on a 'burst type top. And if the guitar was a good one a plain top would be fine. I have a daughter living in Japan at the moment, if I found something over there I liked I might ask her to pick it up for me.

alainguitars

Reaction score
look at my Crews in the classifieds. SOLD, not here.

Last edited:

Rockstar1957

Reaction score
I picked up this Orville by Gibson 3 pickup beauty. (Photo 2). I look for examples that strongly resemble the US model they copied in Japan. I look for all nitro, burst first but I have others. I need an ebony fretboard on any Les Paul Custom models. I plan on playing them all. One of my favorites is a ‘78 Burny Les Paul Standard. (Top photo).
88FCF47F-F615-4774-937A-9DA52FA95545.jpeg
Finish is mostly worn off on the top and the satin look it has is really cool. Period correct Dimarzio double cream PAF
View attachment 424505