MIJ 2000 Epiphone Black Custom vs. Epiphone Elite Custom?

squid8286

Reaction score
I posted in another thread about an Arctic White Elite Custom that I bought a couple of months back. I love it! I wanted another Epiphone Elite Custom Black Beauty to go with it, but they seem few and far between. I found an Epiphone MIJ 2000 Black Custom on EBay today that looked really nice. What is the opinion on a MIJ Epiphone vs. an Elite? Are they pretty much the same except for the American parts that are in the Elite? Is build quality equal between the two? How are the Japanese pickups? Do they sound decent? I don't have any pics yet, except off of EBay. Thanks for any info y'all can provide.

mr. rj

Reaction score
I can't speak to the elite because I've never tried one, but its probably pretty safe to say they are of same quality, which I consider excellent. I actually have the same MIJ 2000 epi custom and the pickups are great. I had a set of Tim Shaw PAF's that needed a home, so I put them into the epi. If I ddin't have those vintage PAFs, I would have gladly left the original pickups in, because they are very good. Mine were matched at 7.56k, I've noticed some real 59's pafs with those readings. This one has a long neck tenon, gibson trussrod and headstock. A gibson ABR1 bridge will also fit on the posts. Awesome guitars!! here is a pic of mine with witch hat knobs, before I put the tim shaws in...
mij.jpg
rynos epi custom mij.jpg

Last edited:

squid8286

Reaction score
Glad to hear you like yours. I'm also glad to hear about the pickups. I have an Epi Elite Standard that currently has Seymour Duncans in it, but I have the original Gibson pickups for it, too. If for some reason I don't like the ones in the black Epiphone, I will put the Gibsons back in the Epi Standard, and put the Duncans in the new one. The thing that sold me on this one was the binding on the body, which had turned a real pretty yellow. Thanks for the info.

Latest Threads