Midtown custom?

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve been offered to buy a mint midtown custom. But I know nothing about them. My questions are are they good quality? What about value have they went up down are they just trash? How do they compare to Les pauls? Where do they stand as a good investment or stay clear of them?What is a richlite fretboard? I really wanna here from the guys who own them.

bwillard

Reaction score
Here is mine:

They are VERY good quality. Please note that they aren't the traditional semi-hollow body. The mahogany back starts as a sold piece and then is CNC routed to make it semi-hollow body.
I have no problem with Richlite but some people don't like it. It is a resin made of wood particles. It doesn't need oiling, is uniform in color, and very smooth. To me it feels and looks a lot like ebony.
No guitar is an investment unless it is a one-of-a-kind or a highly sought-after model played by a guitar hero. It is made for normal people to play and enjoy. That being said, they haven't lost a ton of value since they've been out.
I really like mine. So much so that I eventually purchased a Midtown Standard (which I also love). I just missed on picking up a Midtown Kalamazoo in the last couple of weeks. :(
If you get a chance, play it. Mine has a slim neck but not too slim. My two cents anyway...

filtersweep

Reaction score
They were blown out for about $1050 back in the day. Double check the binding and nibs. Some tend to get cracks near the nibs. It isn’t a big deal- but might affect price. I was very close to buying one, but the top didn’t feel right. There really is no other Gibson like it.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
I really wanna here from the guys who own them.
DSCI0955-2.jpg
I had one for some years,
bought it for less than 1000€ brand new,
now some are asking double the price for used ones....

IMO they are:
heavily chambered - flat topped - doublecut guitars
not LesPauls - not ES335/339

the craftmanship was fine, sold it 'cause of the sticky neck
and I don't miss it :naughty:

MSB

Reaction score
Other than the thin necks, I can't complain about them. I've had 5, two original standards (w/ bigsbys) and 3 customs. The customs were right on the verge of neck heavy, but that is easily remedied with a B6/towner or thick strap.

If they made them with bigger necks, I'd probably get out of the LP game.

Gary

Reaction score
I have the Midtown standard but construction is the same as the Midtown custom with different electronics and bling.

The Midtown upper fret access is great, just like an SG. Though it is chambered mahogany with a maple cap, mine sounds more like a P90 Les Paul than a 335 semi hollow with the same pickups. I will never part with mine. It sounds and plays great.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Next question do you think a midtown custom is a equal trade to a Les Paul classic in value wise

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Here is mine:

They are VERY good quality. Please note that they aren't the traditional semi-hollow body. The mahogany back starts as a sold piece and then is CNC routed to make it semi-hollow body.
I have no problem with Richlite but some people don't like it. It is a resin made of wood particles. It doesn't need oiling, is uniform in color, and very smooth. To me it feels and looks a lot like ebony.
No guitar is an investment unless it is a one-of-a-kind or a highly sought-after model played by a guitar hero. It is made for normal people to play and enjoy. That being said, they haven't lost a ton of value since they've been out.
I really like mine. So much so that I eventually purchased a Midtown Standard (which I also love). I just missed on picking up a Midtown Kalamazoo in the last couple of weeks. :(
If you get a chance, play it. Mine has a slim neck but not too slim. My two cents anyway...
I’m no t an expert or guitar guru. But I bought a Gibson ES 137 premiere cooper top for 799 from guitar center in 2002. That same guitar sellers for around $1600. That was a good investment. I heard they only made 50 or 60 I wish I kept it!.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to try one of these.. I’ve yet to have the chance.

afjungemann

Reaction score
In theory, they should be similar to a 336/356, no? I really lusted after the midtown for a while but ended up deciding on a 355 since it would be more variety from a Les Paul. Now I have a 355 and my head still turns any time I see a midtown. Really well designed and sexy guitars. I don't really get why they got discontinued.

Reactions: MSB

MSB

Reaction score
I don't really get why they got discontinued.

like most of these type of offerings from Gibson, they half ass it with limited options and when they don't fly off the shelves they scrap them. Like the p-90 137, 139, 235, etc. The original midtown standard had the snakehead headstock, that is just UGLY. The p-90 ones had a couple nice colors, but again, that headstock. The original customs were nice, but not really promoted and I've never seen one in a store, most just passed them by because they never got a chance to play them. The second MT standards, were just bland looking. I like (really like) pelham blue, but on the midtown, it just looked like a cheap guitar, imo. Not to mention they all had slim taper necks. They only came one way and it was like it or move on, and since most, imo, didn't get a chance to give one a test drive, people just moved on to what they know worked. I also think most go reviewed as a flat topped 335 shaped LP, so people said, "why bother."

that said, normal headstock and a '50s neck and i'm in, especially if they make a natural one again.

gnappi

Reaction score
Buying a git for what it LOOKS like is sorta like having a metallic purple car with 22" spinning wheels. Only people who are not using it can see it, the user can't :)

Back to the MTC... It was discontinued because bean counters didn't see them fly off the shelf in numbers they wanted to see. Once they saw how well received it was, they "Re-issued" it and then discontinued it again.

Bean counters with MBA'a now run industry, waiting for a product to get traction isn't in the current MBA curriculum. Add to that, Gibson is also (IMO) a victim of their own success... If it's not a LP or other money maker, players judge the new git against the LP, SG, 335 or other instead of judging it on its own merits.

I got my MTC, and even a few gits with snake and hockey stick heads, I can't see em when I'm playin' em.

budg

Reaction score
I bought one in 2012 . Great guitar . Stellar build, great tones . Unfortunately for me it had a pencil thin neck I just couldnt bond with, but that guitar rocks.

afireinside

Reaction score
Love mine. Got it new on blowout for $850 i think. One of my faves. Slim fast neck. More like a hollow LP then a 335. Kind of in the middle.

Reactions: MSB

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love mine. Got it new on blowout for $850 i think. One of my faves. Slim fast neck. More like a hollow LP then a 335. Kind of in the middle.
I think this is because it's a solid carved maple top.

I've been passively shopping for a Midtown for quite a while. Hope to pull the trigger once I've saved enough pennies.

-Jay

jb_abides

Reaction score
Wish they made lefty Midtowns, I would've jumped to get one...

Pancake81

Reaction score
I really love the look of these guitars and I am currently in the market for a Gibson hollow body. But the arch top and size of the 335, and honestly even looking at the Sheratons lately, suck me in.
The custom headstock, finish, playability and down right excellent price point on these guitars makes a guy wannna give one a go though.