midi keyboard?

Mr French

Reaction score
I was talking with a buddy of mine last night and he mentioned a midi keyboard. I've only been into guitars and never really explored other instruments.

What the heck is a midi keyboard?
I've always heard the term "Midi" and thought it was a type of in/output jack.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a buddy of mine last night and he mentioned a midi keyboard. I've only been into guitars and never really explored other instruments.

What the heck is a midi keyboard?
I've always heard the term "Midi" and thought it was a type of in/output jack.
It's a Musical Instrument Digital Interface although in the '80s it was more like Money Is Definitely Imperative :laugh2:
Anything that's MIDI can hook to and/or control another MIDI instrument. MIDI can be a 5-pin connector or dual phono jacks as send/return. USB can also act as MIDI
Some effects pedals can be controlled by MIDI.
A MIDI keyboard can be any of several things
1. a controller for software or other device
2. a synthesizer for making up sounds (which is what I'm thinking of buying)
3. a digital piano with multiple sounds
4.a vocorder, which lets you sample voice or instrument and tweak the bejesus out of it
5. a sequencer, usually included with a synth or controller

Mr French

Reaction score
It's a Musical Instrument Digital Interface although in the '80s it was more like Money Is Definitely Imperative :laugh2:
Anything that's MIDI can hook to and/or control another MIDI instrument. MIDI can be a 5-pin connector or dual phono jacks as send/return. USB can also act as MIDI
Some effects pedals can be controlled by MIDI.
A MIDI keyboard can be any of several things
1. a controller for software or other device
2. a synthesizer for making up sounds (which is what I'm thinking of buying)
3. a digital piano with multiple sounds
4.a vocorder, which lets you sample voice or instrument and tweak the bejesus out of it
5. a sequencer, usually included with a synth or controller
Think it it's worth getting into?

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a synth and a sequencer years ago and played with it for a while. You will play different music with a keyboard Note that I'm a guitar player, too and I don't play piano at all :)
I'm thinking of getting a used Arturia MicroFreak. Reasonably priced and compact.
They are fun to use, and with something like a MicroFreak, you can just turn knobs or push buttons to change the sound without diving through menus.
You can go to your favorite store or site and search by price (lowest first) to see what you're willing to spend.
There are, of course, hundreds (thousands?) of videos on YouTube, many are model specific so you can get an idea of what will work for you.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I use MIDI with my Roland GR55 and some of the guitars I have equipped with the Roland pickups. Since i don't play keys, I use the guitar to add strings, synth bass, etc to my playing. Somewhat of a learning curve, but well worth diving into.

Mr French

Reaction score
I use MIDI with my Roland GR55 and some of the guitars I have equipped with the Roland pickups. Since i don't play keys, I use the guitar to add strings, synth bass, etc to my playing. Somewhat of a learning curve, but well worth diving into.
Any thoughts on a starter setup?

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Any thoughts on a starter setup?
First, figure out what you want to do with it. IF you play keys, find a nice playing keyboard with decent sounds. From that, find a sound module with sounds you like. Then it can be added to the mix via MIDI.
For example, my set up is, Roland GR55>Micro Korg>EMU Proteus... All going into the mixer. For drums I use a Korg Electro Tribe MK3 and an Alesis SR16 for the traditional drum sounds. here's my basic MIDI guitar setup.
20220806_192421.jpg

steveb63

Reaction score
Not a keys player, but mine is a necessary part of my recording rig.

Used mainly as a controller, drum programmer, and with my "fake" string section.

My opinion only..... a must have if using modern methods of tracking.

Of course, IMO, YMMV Etc...

Mr French

Reaction score
First, figure out what you want to do with it. IF you play keys, find a nice playing keyboard with decent sounds. From that, find a sound module with sounds you like. Then it can be added to the mix via MIDI.
For example, my set up is, Roland GR55>Micro Korg>EMU Proteus... All going into the mixer. For drums I use a Korg Electro Tribe MK3 and an Alesis SR16 for the traditional drum sounds. here's my basic MIDI guitar setup.
View attachment 652645
I have no idea what I would be using this for. For the moment I'd like to try a new instrument and I just purchased M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3 on Amazon for $61. Not sure how I got it for that price as I click on the link it now shows a higher price.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what I would be using this for. For the moment I'd like to try a new instrument and I just purchased M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3 on Amazon for $61. Not sure how I got it for that price as I click on the link it now shows a higher price.

I have a Keystation 88 sitting in the garage in its original box. FYI Keystations are just controllers, they have no sounds of their own. You install the software on a PC or Mac and plug them in via USB. There all kinds of instruments you can select from and you can loop and record.

dspelman

Reaction score
I have a couple of MIDI keyboards (M-Audio) including 49 key and an 88 key, that were dirt cheap and that hook right into apps on the Mac. From there you can send them to a cheap interface and from there to a PA mixer or a pair of studio monitors, etc.

Mr French

Reaction score
I have a Keystation 88 sitting in the garage in its original box. FYI Keystations are just controllers, they have no sounds of their own. You install the software on a PC or Mac and plug them in via USB. There all kinds of instruments you can select from and you can loop and record.
I did a bit of research on these controllers and seems to have more options than a traditional keyboard. USB is perfect with the software. Basically it's like amplitube software but keyboard/midi version.

Mr French

Reaction score
I have a couple of MIDI keyboards (M-Audio) including 49 key and an 88 key, that were dirt cheap and that hook right into apps on the Mac. From there you can send them to a cheap interface and from there to a PA mixer or a pair of studio monitors, etc.
I have a pair of m audio studio monitors. Same ones I had back in 2007, I liked them so much that I bought another set a few years ago.

Mr French

Reaction score
I thought about the 88 key but this price was too good to pass up on. I could always return it and snag an 88 key. I'm just testing out something new and maybe have some fun with.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about the 88 key but this price was too good to pass up on. I could always return it and snag an 88 key. I'm just testing out something new and maybe have some fun with.
Yep. If I buy a synth, it's going to have a small keyboard and I'll use the octave button :)

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just a noodler. The Keystation had been boxed up for years.

Latest Threads