Mid 90s Classics

Homebrw

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the finish on a mid 90s Classic? Is it also nitrocellulose?

Also, does anyone know where I could view an original specifications sheet of mid 90s Classics (95-97)? Like catalogs or advertising?

Thanks,
Chris

Low Gain

Reaction score
Nitro, of course.

Main specs that differs from a standard are slim tapper neck profile, ceramic pickups (496R and 500T) thick binding on cutaway and ABR-1 bridge. Also you can see some lesters with greenish/yellowish inlays.

And there were three versions of classics, plaintop and flametop (plus and premium plus).

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
Word has it that the most desirable Classics were made between 1990 and 1992. The nickel hardware on those ages beautifully too.

ESchmidt

Reaction score
I have 2 Les Paul Classics. Both from the year 2000. They are fantastic guitars. Both have the ABR1 bridge and hot ceramic pickups as previously stated. I replaced the inlays on both of mine with Retrospec historic sized cellulose nitrate inlays. They fit perfectly because the inlays have the sharp ends unlike most other USA Gibsons which have the rounded corners. They are good guitars stock, but great guitars when upgraded.

rlefty

Reaction score
Word has it that the most desirable Classics were made between 1990 and 1992. The nickel hardware on those ages beautifully too.
And early 93, before Gibson made the change to the newer spec.

rlefty

Reaction score
I have 2 Les Paul Classics. Both from the year 2000. They are fantastic guitars. Both have the ABR1 bridge and hot ceramic pickups as previously stated. I replaced the inlays on both of mine with Retrospec historic sized cellulose nitrate inlays. They fit perfectly because the inlays have the sharp ends unlike most other USA Gibsons which have the rounded corners. They are good guitars stock, but great guitars when upgraded.
How did you replace the inlays? Got pics?

JCarno

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the finish on a mid 90s Classic? Is it also nitrocellulose?

Also, does anyone know where I could view an original specifications sheet of mid 90s Classics (95-97)? Like catalogs or advertising?

Thanks,
Chris
I own a 97 Classic. If you have any specific questions I can answer, I'd more than happy to help. :cheers2:

ESchmidt

Reaction score
I slowed the video down to watch it. Unless he didn't film the part, it doesn't seem or look like he cleaned the old glue or anything from the cutouts?
Did you? Did you have to do as much scraping as he did? :hmm:
I dont clean out the old glue. I did it for the first inlay but the glue was so attached, when i was scraping it, it took out more rosewood than the inlay route. So I just drop them in and scrape away! Also dont be fooled by the title of the video. If it is your first time doing this it will probably be a half day project. Ive done a total of 5 of these so I have it down to maybe 2 hours.

Homebrw

Reaction score
I own a 97 Classic. If you have any specific questions I can answer, I'd more than happy to help. :cheers2:
Hi JCARNO, thanks for the offer. The main question was answered (nitro). Ive got a 96 Classic Premium Plus waiting on me when I repatriate. It'll be 8 months from the time I bought it till the time I play it for the first time!

I'm just trying to scratch the itch and hoped there were some vintage ads out there.

Thanks

Chris

JCarno

Reaction score
I dont clean out the old glue. I did it for the first inlay but the glue was so attached, when i was scraping it, it took out more rosewood than the inlay route. So I just drop them in and scrape away! Also dont be fooled by the title of the video. If it is your first time doing this it will probably be a half day project. Ive done a total of 5 of these so I have it down to maybe 2 hours.
Thanks! Yeah, it's a 3 min video but it's obviously sped up.
Not sure of his intentions there.:hmm:

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I had a '94. The necks are thin as paper, which you may or may not like. I never played mine and eventually sold it for this reason. Just a heads up. :)

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Nitro, of course.

Main specs that differs from a standard are slim tapper neck profile, ceramic pickups (496R and 500T) thick binding on cutaway and ABR-1 bridge. Also you can see some lesters with greenish/yellowish inlays.

And there were three versions of classics, plaintop and flametop (plus and premium plus).
Not much to add here.
Put a blank truss rod cover, get some "Vintage" type pickups,
50's wiring harness and voilà!
You're good to Rock!
:thumb:

cutaway

Reaction score
I have a '93 Classic Plus that I'm happy with. Got it for $1300. a few years back. Thin binding in cutaway. Put in '57 Classics.

Attachments

Latest Threads