Micromesh question

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered a micromesh set from GC Abrasives for fret polishing. It says it contains "9 Sheets of 6"x4" Regular Micro-Mesh Sheets as follows: 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 Grades. Please note: these grades differ from standard P grades, please see the Grit Conversion Chart for more info." So I had a look on the net and found this chart.

1620374525375.png

Am I right in thinking that I should start at 2400 as this is the equivalent of P1500, then just work up from there? I'd also appreciate any views on the size. 6"x4" looks far too big for fret polishing. What size do you cut yours to?

Any advice for complete noob is most welcome. I'm talking about polishing frets that are already crowned, not crowning them myself.

endial

Reaction score
Great info, and thanks for sharing that chart. The same type of "trickery" happens with sharpening stones as far as grit determination goes. Until someone charted it out for us it was a guessing game for many.

Your logic seems sound. You can of course get regular, less expensive grits in your hardware stores in the form of sandpaper at full size (7.5"x11") and cut them down to many smaller sheets. Most stores carry up to 2000 grit wet/dry paper. At 6" by 4" I'd probably cut them in half ( 3" by 4") and then fold them in halves or thirds for something to old onto.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered a micromesh set from GC Abrasives for fret polishing. It says it contains "9 Sheets of 6"x4" Regular Micro-Mesh Sheets as follows: 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 Grades. Please note: these grades differ from standard P grades, please see the Grit Conversion Chart for more info." So I had a look on the net and found this chart.

View attachment 536170

Am I right in thinking that I should start at 2400 as this is the equivalent of P1500, then just work up from there? I'd also appreciate any views on the size. 6"x4" looks far too big for fret polishing. What size do you cut yours to?

Any advice for complete noob is most welcome. I'm talking about polishing frets that are already crowned, not crowning them myself.
Whenever you are unsure of which grade of abrasive you need (for any job) start high and work down towards more abrasive grits until you hit the one that does the job. That's the salient point. The one that does the job. So on a fret that was just ground down with a crowning file for example....that's a pretty rough finish. Your only goal is to use just enough abrasion to get rid of the existing scratches. Which in that case could be 400 grit or even 320.
In your case if the frets are just in need of a "freshening up" then sure 2400 micromesh sounds reasonable to start. But as always, observe what happens after the first few strokes. If you are putting more scratches in than there were.....move to a finer grit.

I cut mine into 1" X 4" or so strips and fold them.

Latest Threads