Michaela Bekenn *** first release!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Exciting day!
A young musician I mentored just released her first song today. Her name is Michaela Bekenn.
She came to me when she was 16 years old for guitar lessons. Just starting out on guitar. She absorbed the lessons and grew musically at a very fast pace....soon she was writing her own songs and we started working on an album. I produced and engineered .....recorded most of the tracks at my home studio. This is the first single released to the world. Premiered just this morning. I hope you like it!

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Lol she reminds me of every gal i dated in my 20s on the little Islands off the coast of British Columbia. Congrats to you both. Its a wonderful feeling to help someone succeed.

redking

Reaction score
Congrats to her! It seems like she has a very strong vision for what she wants to be as an artist and it takes a great deal of integrity as a producer and mentor to let that happen organically without overly influencing the vision. I know you were successful in achieving that because I don't see any "Freddy" in the music at all! :D (or at least what would immediately come to mind when I think of "Freddy music")

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats to her! It seems like she has a very strong vision for what she wants to be as an artist and it takes a great deal of integrity as a producer and mentor to let that happen organically without overly influencing the vision. I know you were successful in achieving that because I don't see any "Freddy" in the music at all! :D (or at least what would immediately come to mind when I think of "Freddy music")
Thanks! But that's where you are wrong. The group of musicians that I picked for the recording are all my circle...in fact the same guys I play with (played with the keyboard guy since the 80s). The production elements were initiated by me, the songwriting was her. That melodramatic guitar solo section...with taurus pedals and choir....that power and the glory type bombast is totally my wheelhouse having been majorly influenced by Floyd, Genesis, etc etc....although I don't show that in my "noodling around" on videos or whatever.

Tracking taurus pedals for this song...man those things are magical!

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Exciting day!
A young musician I mentored just released her first song today. Her name is Michaela Bekenn.
She came to me when she was 16 years old for guitar lessons. Just starting out on guitar. She absorbed the lessons and grew musically at a very fast pace....soon she was writing her own songs and we started working on an album. I produced and engineered .....recorded most of the tracks at my home studio. This is the first single released to the world. Premiered just this morning. I hope you like it!

Oh man. There is so much I love in that production.... Damn... Snare/kick transition is killer. The whammy 'wet' time is perfect but the blend behind it makes it sound like the guitar is like something sliding around on slick ice....on top just enough for clarity but freely moving with what's under it.... The 'wet' on guitar blends the two together.... Resolution of solo at about 3:48 on is perfect in slope....

You painted, brother. Painted well.... Great tune and arrangement, but the production is amazing far beyond that......
Airy as hell. I love airy.... Similar to Bascombe type air... and I don't say that lightly and not blowing smoke up your ass, bud.... Love your 'ears'.... Just damn....

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh man. There is so much I love in that production.... Damn... Snare/kick transition is killer. The whammy 'wet' time is perfect but the blend behind it makes it sound like the guitar is like something sliding around on slick ice....on top just enough for clarity but freely moving with what's under it.... The 'wet' on guitar blends the two together.... Resolution of solo at about 3:48 on is perfect in slope....

You painted, brother. Painted well.... Great tune and arrangement, but the production is amazing far beyond that......
Airy as hell. I love airy.... Similar to Bascombe type air... and I don't say that lightly and not blowing smoke up your ass, bud.... Love your 'ears'.... Just damn....

That is very high praise indeed. It's humbling to get a nod like that from a peer. Thanks Edro...I appreciate that more than you'll know!

• Love
Reactions: ehb

redking

Reaction score
Thanks! But that's where you are wrong. The group of musicians that I picked for the recording are all my circle...in fact the same guys I play with (played with the keyboard guy since the 80s). The production elements were initiated by me, the songwriting was her. That melodramatic guitar solo section...with taurus pedals and choir....that power and the glory type bombast is totally my wheelhouse having been majorly influenced by Floyd, Genesis, etc etc....although I don't show that in my "noodling around" on videos or whatever.
Michaela initially just wanted it to be mainly guitar and voice....just really raw and stripped down. So it took some doing and convincing to get her to accept some of the elements....sneaky stuff like "Oh I'll mix it way in the background" but once she was used to the sound in the track I would push those things more and more forward a little at a time. But in the end she liked it. She has a very strong artistic sensibility and she would not have gone along with anything she disagreed with.

Tracking taurus pedals for this song...man those things are magical!

I guess I think of the arrangement, instrumentation, etc as something a producer should do - I was thinking more about the overall theme of the song - the lyrics, the overall message and tone - the vision the artist has in their head before they go to sleep at night. I feel like the artist should decide why they are on the stage and what the message is and the producer helps shape how big the stage should be. I think we are kinda saying the same thing but in different ways.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess I think of the arrangement, instrumentation, etc as something a producer should do - I was thinking more about the overall theme of the song - the lyrics, the overall message and tone - the vision the artist has in their head before they go to sleep at night. I feel like the artist should decide why they are on the stage and what the message is and the producer helps shape how big the stage should be. I think we are kinda saying the same thing but in different ways.
Oh yes....in that way....the creation of the song, all the vocal parts and lyrics was totally her. Even the acoustic guitar part she played is exactly as presented to me. I didn't touch any of that stuff....just added some fairy dust.:cheers:

redking

Reaction score
Oh yes....in that way....the creation of the song, all the vocal parts and lyrics was totally her. Even the acoustic guitar part she played is exactly as presented to me. I didn't touch any of that stuff....just added some fairy dust.:cheers:
I wouldn't have picked up on this without the video, but with her obviously being a trained dancer, I can see how that would have shaped her artistic approach (and musical abililty) as well. My almost 11 yr. old daughter is big into dance, so I can appreciate where that comes from - dancing since age 3 has allowed her to pick up new musical instruments at an unexpected pace now - it's pretty fun to watch her progress at piano, and now she is devouring her ukulele lessons and developing a killer swing on the drum kit. We started taking online drum lessons together in the spring and we started out at pretty much the same ability level, and as we have gone through the lessons, she is picking up the new material much more quickly than me. I will be satisfied to get to the point of playing a good 4 on the floor groove and a blues shuffle, but I can see her being able to take it a lot farther if she wants to.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how fast a kid in the right environment can flourish. Dance, vocal, acting training ....she's got it all and had an early jump start.

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fun fact...I built a lot of stuff in that recording. All acoustic and electric guitars, large diaphragm tube and ribbon microphones, tube and solid state mic pres, tube opto and vari-mu compressors, guitar amplifiers....but I did also use some nice stuff like Manley, Urei, Focusrite etc.

redking

Reaction score
Fun fact...I built a lot of stuff in that recording. All acoustic and electric guitars, large diaphragm tube and ribbon microphones, tube and solid state mic pres, tube opto and vari-mu compressors, guitar amplifiers....but I did also use some nice stuff like Manley, Urei, Focusrite etc.
You are pretty much the Da Vinci of MLP! :dude:

Latest Threads