mic the amp question

dcmey

Reaction score
I play guitar at my church and have been using my old amp which is a Behringer V Tone it's a 30 W. I mic the amp, I use that own because hauling my VOX AD 50VT was getting to be a pain. I may be buying another amp to keep at church. How big of an amp do I really need to buy? I was looking at getting another VOX similar to what I have but smaller. The question is 15 or 30 Watts. The amp will be mic'd so that's where I am not sure how big to go.

BMS

Reaction score
If you're micing it, then it doesn't matter what size. You can stay small. The mic will do the work for you. Cheers!

LPV

Reaction score
In the modern world with good mobile PA bins, IMO an 18w (tube) amp is ideal for most any situation I will ever find myself in again.

And modelers will eventually make that redundant. (but they gotz no mojo :))

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh, you kinda still need to hear yourself. Unless they give you monitors (and they should) and you actually prefer that over the amp direct, you'll need an amp you can hear.

I agree with the comments on 18W, those are cool and loud. But you really wanna buy an all-tube 18W to keep at the church? I mean...

It would depend how loud your band's gonna be, even the music you play.

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
I play in my church band. I used to bring amps, but the soundman and I were always at odds about stage volume. :D

I now use a POD X3Live; I run it stereo into the PA, and have a monitor wedge that I use to hear both guitar/vocals.

It's a great rig for church...light, quick setup/teardown. Tons of tones, although I downloaded Lincoln Brewster's from his website...talk about awesome tone...wow.

Check this out:

Welcome To Lincoln Brewster's Official Site

I also have a PodXTLive as well...a step down from the X3, but still great. They can be picked up used, and it won't break the bank.

BB

>Photi G<

Reaction score
I've had bad experiences when leaving any of my stuff at church for more than a few hours. They get damaged, misplaced, scattered lost, etc. Just throwin' that out there.

dcmey

Reaction score
I've had bad experiences when leaving any of my stuff at church for more than a few hours. They get damaged, misplaced, scattered lost, etc. Just throwin' that out there.

That's why I was thinking of going with the 15 watt it's small and is right by the piano. I just want to make sure it's going to be loud enough. The amp is by me where I play and a mic is sitting right in front of the speaker. The one I am using now is Behringer V Tone 30 watt it's a modulating amp, what I have at home is a Vox AD50VT which is a hybrid amp, and what I was looking into was the 15 watt version of that amp. The Behringer started getting some feedback issues before mass. I unplugged the amp and tried a differant cord it still did it. Then one of the 2 other guitarist's picked the amp up and hit it on the floor and feedback was gone. I have concerns about the behringer amp, that's why I am looking into getting another amp.

LPV

Reaction score
That's why I was thinking of going with the 15 watt it's small and is right by the piano. I just want to make sure it's going to be loud enough. The amp is by me where I play and a mic is sitting right in front of the speaker. The one I am using now is Behringer V Tone 30 watt it's a modulating amp, what I have at home is a Vox AD50VT which is a hybrid amp, and what I was looking into was the 15 watt version of that amp. The Behringer started getting some feedback issues before mass. I unplugged the amp and tried a differant cord it still did it. Then one of the 2 other guitarist's picked the amp up and hit it on the floor and feedback was gone. I have concerns about the behringer amp, that's why I am looking into getting another amp.

I would seriously consider what BB said. He does what you do. I dare say you would have a better result. I criticized his use of the line6 saying the tone was lacking, but I was wrong to do so because for that application it is probably an ideal solution.

Electric_Sunshine

Reaction score
Get a Roland, we use them unmiced at school and they still kick as much ass, but the gan/distortion isn't great.

Andrew

J076

Reaction score
Vox pathfinder! An inexpensive solid state amp, pretty simple. Sounds convincing, too.

15 watts, probably weighs 5 pounds at most. I've seen em go for $100.

Rohan

Reaction score
You could get the Vox AD15VT - it'll have all the effects your AD50VT has. You can mike it or choose to use the line out too.

Belzeebub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Used to play in church too. Funny that some mentioned the fact that guitar players and sound men usually are at odds with regards to volume and sound men (at least the REAL ones) would rather have everything go into the PA (maybe except the bass). the sound men of my day would rather do the opposite and exclusively keep the PA devoted just for vocal mics and audio playback rather than the instruments because of fears of overloading the speakers/amps, etc.

As to OPs question, like said in the above posts, doesn't matter if its 15w or 30w - because it's mic'd. Actually, these days even for gigging, Im considering just taking my tiny 5w amp and either line it out or get it mic'd. Its easier on the back...

Latest Threads