Mic Shootout On Premier Guitar

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cool article....archiving this one. Thanks Nicky!

I have a drum recording session tonight and tomorrow. I'm going to try different mics out....should be fun.

Kick- Sennheiser MD421, Audix D6, EV RE20
Toms- Sennheiser MD421, Audix D2, Sennheiser e604
Snare- SM57, Neumann KM84 (will try a blend of those two)
OH- Neumann KM84, KM184, Rode NT5
Room- DIY ribbons, Neumann U87s, AKG C414s

KP11520

Reaction score
Cool article....archiving this one. Thanks Nicky!

I have a drum recording session tonight and tomorrow. I'm going to try different mics out....should be fun.

Kick- Sennheiser MD421, Audix D6, EV RE20
Toms- Sennheiser MD421, Audix D2, Sennheiser e604
Snare- SM57, Neumann KM84 (will try a blend of those two)
OH- Neumann KM84, KM184, Rode NT5
Room- DIY ribbons, Neumann U87s, AKG C414s
Can you share your experiments Dr Frankenstein?

Regards//Igor :D

Glad to see you posting again! :thumb:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you share your experiments Dr Frankenstein?

Regards//Igor :D

Glad to see you posting again! :thumb:
Glad to be back!

Yeah I can tell you which mics I picked. I changed up my usual sequence....normally I start with kick and snare. This time I started with overheads. I'm not really sure why, maybe it was to get a picture of the kit first and then choose individual mics that compliment and fit into that picture.
Also I chose to put the kit in a fairly small, fairly dead iso booth. Not for sonic consideration, just a logisitcal choice....therefore no room mics.

So overheads...I was surprised. I chose the NT5s. The kit was loud, the cymbals bright and the player on the lively and aggressive side. The Neumanns of course sounded good, the 84s very smooth, the 184s more forward in the upper mids, but the NT5 just had a more modern pop and forwardness without being strident. Jeez, I always struggle and feel a bit silly using words and descriptions like that for these things...there's way more to it, a visceral thing that is hard to put into words, but we all agreed on the NT5s as the choice. Mic pre was an Apogee Duet.

Next, kick drum. First I tried the MD421. Sounded good....classic. RE20, not so much, a bit too boxy. The D6 was very interesting, obviously tonally shaped for exaggerated click and bottom with a scoop of the boxy stuff. What I would probably end up doing with EQ for the other mics anyway. So I went with the D6. Mic pre was Manley Slam with just a touch of the built in FET limiter.

Snare- SM57. I tried the KM84 right beside it to possibly blend with the 57 but honestly, the OH mics were picking up so much snare snap and wires I didn't need it. Mic pre was the other side of the Manley Slam again with just a touch of FET limiter and a 100hz HPF.

Toms- This wasn't even close. The MD421s just sounded great!
Mic pres were Focusrite Red1s.

We finish the drum session tonight so I'll post some clips after. :thumb:

Big John

Drink more, you'll sound better
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nothing old or new from Sennheiser except for the 421 in that shoot-out? That's kinda strange.

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Nothing old or new from Sennheiser except for the 421 in that shoot-out? That's kinda strange.
I guess they have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, they'd have to sample 100 mics.

PS: Glad to see you, Freddy. :welcome:

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
Wish they would demo the Beyer M201 as well.

What's your opinion the Shure SM57? I tend to prefer ribbons or condensers myself.

KP11520

Reaction score
Are the MD421's the old gray ones. All the old timers rave about them vs the newer ones.

So, when you record the drum track(s), do you record with no EQ and then bus it to another track to tweak it after the fact or EQ what comes from the mics and write it that way?

If you had only 4 decent Pre channels (4 mics), would you still use the NT5s as overheads or LDCs'?

I know..... So many questions.... I'm living vicariously through your projects! :shock: LOL

Look forward to hearing the results! :thumb: