Metropolitan Museum of Art offers free access to 400,000 digital images

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
NYC's Metropolitan Museum of Art has made a whopping 400,000 high-resolution digital images of its collection available for free download. You can browse the collection here.

The Collection Online | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

In making the announcement, Mr. Campbell said: "Through this new, open-access policy, we join a growing number of museums that provide free access to images of art in the public domain. I am delighted that digital technology can open the doors to this trove of images from our encyclopedic collection."

The Metropolitan Museum's initiative-called Open Access for Scholarly Content (OASC)-provides access to images of art in its collection that the Museum believes to be in the public domain and free of other known restrictions; these images are now available for scholarly use in any media.

For instance, here's a 12-megapixel image of Rembrandt's 1660 self-portrait...you can see quite a bit of detail:
rembrandt-selfie.jpg

poster.jpg

Early American Guitars
The Instruments of C. F. Martin
January 14–December 7, 2014

Gallery 684

Christian Frederick Martin, founder of the great American guitar firm C. F. Martin & Co., was the son of a cabinetmaker in Markneukirchen, Saxony. Martin learned to build instruments from the famed Johann Georg Stauffer in Vienna. Due to the restrictive guilds in Markneukirchen, Martin moved to the United States in 1833, settling first in New York City and later moving to Nazareth, Pennsylvania. In the United States, Martin encountered the Spanish-style guitar and incorporated elements from that tradition into his own Viennese style of instrument construction. The result was a new form of the guitar, a style that would become important as a basis for other American makers of the instrument. This exhibition includes approximately thirty-five instruments from the Martin Museum in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and several private collections.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dude, that's freaking awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, Blackie. I get to the Met once a year or so and I like to get up close to look at the brush work, but it's difficult when the crowds start roll in.

Latest Threads