Metro 50w plexi build - pics!!!

Loko

Reaction score
That's gonna be sick dude.

You could run it through your Orange 1x12 if you don't manage to get that 4x12 ;) it will have a 16-ohm out right?
Yes, it will. At first and for testing I will use the v30 but in the end it will be the greenbacks!!!:dude:

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bumping up da Thread! This is going to be great.

Loko

Reaction score
Figured I would throw in a lil update / bump... I called sweetwater today (I love that place) and now I have a SM57, stand, and XLR heading to me from IN. My sales guy there is cool as hell and since I called and didn't order online I was able to get about $30 off to fit the price range I was looking at, like I sad, good people there. The kit parts are still being pulled, I'm not sure how long it usually takes to get a kit but hope it ships soon. Tools will be here Friday, Mic and shit on Sat, hopefully kit next week, and the 4x12 I still have to get ordered next week.

Darkburst

Reaction score
Yes, it will. At first and for testing I will use the v30 but in the end it will be the greenbacks!!!:dude:
I'd go with Scumback M75's or H75's if you want that old school Celestion sound.

Loko

Reaction score
I'd go with Scumback M75's or H75's if you want that old school Celestion sound.
I was actually going to do an X mix with those but after talking with John at Stone Age I decided to go with the heritage "M" not only because he can sell them for a very good price compared to the Scum's, the Celestion seems like a better choice. Not as loud, being less efficient (which is nice due to the majority of the playing on it will be in a basement), but the way he described the tones, and he has played plenty of pre-rolas, the Celestion it is.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along an obvious tip. If you haven't already, I suggest practicing your soldering techniques before you start on the amp. Poor solder connections are one of the most common problems with amps.

Loko

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along an obvious tip. If you haven't already, I suggest practicing your soldering techniques before you start on the amp. Poor solder connections are one of the most common problems with amps.
Yea, I plan on picking up some random pots, wire, and resistors and just messing around a bit (I could probably go to my old telecom teacher on campus and pick up some random stuff). I have soldered some in the past but I do need to practice. Thanks for the advice.

Loko

Reaction score
Got in my tools / supplies and got my work area all set up just a little bit ago.

To the top the thread goes :thumb:

hipofutura

Reaction score
Very nice! You are well organized. I didn't notice any solder past/flux with your tools. I've found it handy at times when working with stranded leads from transformers. I was never properly schooled in this, so I don't know if it is an acceptable practice.

It may be overkill with a guitar amp, but when I've built tube audio amps (monoblocks), I've found a variac, signal generator, and scope to be of use. The variac is often required to bring the amp up to power at various stages of completion. Again, my experience is from the world of audio amps and my not be relevant with guitar amps.

Loko

Reaction score
Very nice! You are well organized. I didn't notice any solder past/flux with your tools. I've found it handy at times when working with stranded leads from transformers. I was never properly schooled in this, so I don't know if it is an acceptable practice.

It may be overkill with a guitar amp, but when I've built tube audio amps (monoblocks), I've found a variac, signal generator, and scope to be of use. The variac is often required to bring the amp up to power at various stages of completion. Again, my experience is from the world of audio amps and my not be relevant with guitar amps.
Thank you again for the tips, when I ordered this stuff from Tube Depot the tech there recommended I get some and thought that for my application the flux pen would work best (it is next to the needle nose).

hipofutura

Reaction score
Looks like you have it under control. It's going to be a blast! There's great gratification in building an amp. Whenever you use it you can smile knowing it's your handiwork. Enjoy!

Loko

Reaction score
Looks like you have it under control. It's going to be a blast! There's great gratification in building an amp. Whenever you use it you can smile knowing it's your handiwork. Enjoy!
Thanks, I can't wait!

Loko

Reaction score
Nether can we. You should have got express shipping.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Well... shipping is 2 days but I guess he has to pull some parts or something. I sent him a pm on the Metro forum seeing what kind of timetable I'm looking at.

Loko

Reaction score
Time to bump it up with a status update. Talked to Metro today and they are expecting to get the head boxes in today or tomorrow so not too much longer thank god, MM has drop shipped my tranny, and today I put 50% on my 4x12 from Stone Age to get that rolling. Everything is still flowing just not as fast as I would have hoped but I didn't realize there were backorders at the moment. But soon enough everything will come together and I can get to posting what you really want, the build!

Stay tuned,

Tim

Amateur_Soldier

Reaction score
Fight the power man:dude:, why be shackled down by name and brands, as long as it sounds good.

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Any word yet Bro?

Loko

Reaction score
I wish, they said that the headboxes should here by today but I haven't had another update. I would hope it ships this week, I am really getting tired of waiting at this point, I would be a lot less impatient/upset had I been informed of this backorder when I placed my order. Not exactly good communication but if all goes well I'm sure it won't stop me from picking up a few different kits in the future. Try and hang in there a little longer, I do have my cab gettin ready and everything else is here (tools and mic and such). Here are some pics of the cab John sent me from Stone Age...

The one on the right is mine...

He still has to mount, wire, and make a back panel and then give it a go...

I know it isn't quite what ya want but hope it's enough to tide ya over:D

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Excellent looking Cab. What kind of speakers are being installed?

Loko

Reaction score
Celestion Heritage "M" greenbacks, was going to go with Scumbacks but after talking with John I decided on the Celestions.

Latest Threads