Metro 50w plexi build - pics!!!

Loko

Reaction score
So I just decided that I sould just do it so now I will have a plexi kit on my doorstep in 2 days! From what I read and hear these things are TITS and for the price and that I get to build it and make sure that it is all perfect... this is a no brainer. I can live without the Marshall tag (and price tag) especially if these are as good as they are made out to be :fingersx:

I got the Mercury Magnetics Tranny, Allen Bradley NOS Resistors, and Mullard Reissue Tubes :dude:

I will post build pics and review / sound clips when finished, assuming I dont kill myself in the process :shock: haha

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's way too Kool Bro! Keep this thread alive and keep posting progress pics.

davebag89

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck with the build mate, expecting a full tone report when its finished :thumb:

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anxiously awaiting progress reports, i've been wanting to do this as well.

randygt

Reaction score
you officially rule dude...i was too chicken to try and build one of those

mrpesca

Reaction score
I would like to do this someday too. Looks like a lot of work but how proud you will be when you strike that first chord or solo. Keep track of your actual time so we can see what we're getting into. Thanks.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Awesome!!

Take you time and do it right!!
waiting for photos and soundbites

you can always slap a Marshall plate on anyway
they dont care

Ekoms

Reaction score
thats the exact amp I've been thinking of building (among others :lol:) but I think it may be out of my league.

can't wait for the build pics and the finished clips/

Good luck and play safe!

Loko

Reaction score
It makes me very happy to see the enthusiasm and support from my fellow MLP peeps. I will be going very slow and triple and quadruple checking everything as I go and will take as many pictures as possible along the way. I have already read the .pdf instructions a few times, this is my first amp and I want it to be as good as possible. I'm in the telecom field (we deal LOW voltage) so I'm not really qualified for 400+VDC but hey I'm a good sport... but I do understand that phase cancellation is important (twisted pair) and keeping sgnal away from high power sources / wires. This should be a lot of fun and a very good learning experiance. Not to mention like said earlier, powering it up after testing and hitting that first note and hearing it mealt through a celestion (birthday coming up so I sould be able to work a 4x12) and blast my ear with "plexi tone" should be second to none! These two days are gonna suck lol.

Texas07R8

Reaction score
Nice score, I'm sure it will sound great once it's all dialed in. I was looking at the Ceratone units. Not familiar with this one, are the reviews good on it ? If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost?

EEF13

Reaction score
I didn't know you can buy amp kits.

Silverbursted

Reaction score
Looking forward to the build pics. How long do you expect it to take?

Loko

Reaction score
Nice score, I'm sure it will sound great once it's all dialed in. I was looking at the Ceratone units. Not familiar with this one, are the reviews good on it ? If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost?
I was originally looking at the Ceria Tone (from malaysia) and was really set on them until I stumbled into these. Harmony Central has various reviews of both Metro and Ceria if you want to check that out, both look good. The shipping on a head from overseas was looking pretty close (few hundred) and these (Metro) come with some nice options. From what I understand is that some people mix and match the Ceria frame/cab with Metro parts. Metro is supposed to have top notch stuff and Metro also comes with instructions so thats always a plus :thumb: I guess you could compare it to something like a squire (Ceria) to american (Metro).. yea, a fender example in a LP forum lol. There are also a few vids on the tube of Ceria and Metro. In the end it just comes down to what you think is the best with the information that is provided. With that said I paid $1260 shipped and I am very confident that I made the right choice, for me at least... Has it been two days yet?... Damnit!

Loko

Reaction score
I didn't know you can buy amp kits.
There are a few kit builders out there and quite a variety from there.

Looking forward to the build pics. How long do you expect it to take?
This being my first time doing anything like this, I can only give an uneducated guess... I have a bit of free time (tuesdays and thursdays off from class) so I would think it will prolly take about 3 - 5 days. I would think that seems reasonable for a 50w (100 having more wiring and gets tighter) and me not doing this before :thumb:

Soldano16

Reaction score
I was looking at the Ceratone units. Not familiar with this one,
In the world of vintage Marshall clone builders, there are many but two names always float up to the top , one being Germino and the other being Metro. So by going with Metro, you are going with the best.

That's no knock on Ceriatone, who also has an excellent reputation for a slightly lower cost product. If someone was to ask me who are the most popular kits, Metro and Ceriatone would come up, with Metro being the premium brand.

Dano

Reaction score
Awesome! Cant wait to see the results!!!

jo07

Reaction score
don't forget to post some sound clips!

Loko

Reaction score
Thak you again for the intrest and support! The kit has yet to ship (says they are pulling the parts), got all my tools on the way and should be here before the kit, and I just got done talking with John Wheeler from Stone Age Custom Cabinets (great guy) and got a quote for a 4x12 black with gold piping and salt n pepper grill loaded with the Celestion Heritage "M". I will get that ordered in 1-2 weeks with a 4-5 week lead on the cabinet! I can't wait for all of this to come together, I can't hardly sleep at night now! lol.

notoperational

Reaction score
That's gonna be sick dude.

You could run it through your Orange 1x12 if you don't manage to get that 4x12 ;) it will have a 16-ohm out right?

Latest Threads