Metallica Pedal

jw3571

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a pedal to give that Metallica type tone? I'm using a Marshall SL5, I have a Boss SD1, but was hoping for something more close.

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have an SL5 and a Les Paul. I have no problem getting OLD Metallica tone. If you want the Black album and newer you need Boogies and EMGs.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
You need a Mesa Boogie amp! Maybe the Mesa V-Twin pedal would get you there? Or something from the Tech 21 Sansamp series?

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
My mesa throttle box eq gets everything mesa from a Boogie to a triple rectifier. Or an acceptable facsimile of those amps for a bedroom player. Btw this is thru a Fender blues junior, so id imagine that thru a marshall it should work well.

cnote

Reaction score
Digitech's discontinued dirt cheap Metal Master pedal was geared to 90s Metallica tones. Does it pretty well in the right hands with a high headroom clean Fender style amp. One trick.

KEA was not an invader pickup - MJ at SD told me after looking in her log book it was a custom pickup for him with two rows of screw poles, Alnico 5 magnets. Then he did both RTL and MOP with the stock Dirty Fingers in his Gibson Explorer - there is a pic in the recent book of him playing out with that Explorer with the stock pickups after they were done with MOP. On the MOP tour switched to EMGs, never looked back. Also, some say he used TAG pickups in either the Explorer or the Jackson V. Tom Anderson told me he never sent pickups to Hetfield, but did send some to Kirk around that time, and Tom Anderson pickups might have been in their Jacksons.

Hetfield used a RAT on KEA with his modded Marshall, which was stolen. He used a tubescreamer with a stock JCM800 for RTL, and of course the Boogies with Aphex Parametric EQs in the loop for MOP and AJFA.

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
Depends on which era you're talking about.

If you want anything that sounds modern (and good), then you need a new amp. Preferably a Boogie.

coupe89

Reaction score
I have read and seen in interviews that Kirk has always used a tubescreamer.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Cheap option... Try an EQ pedal after your gain stage, it will help quite a bit. You can really shape the voicing of your gain.

The Mesa VTwins are great little units but pricey, you'd be better off buying a boss katana amp, cheaper and does metallica tones really well, and a while lot more. Insane amps for the price, ive been saving for one myself, but... Dentist:facepalm: