Metallica get a taste of their own medicine

rockstar232007

Reaction score
How dare they get pissed off at people stealing from them and all other artists!!!11
Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but how many artists/painters get payed every time their works are sold to collectors and/or looked at while hanging in an art gallery/museum?

The term "starving-artist" isn't exclusive to visual-arts.

redking

Reaction score
Because more bands and artists DIDN'T have the balls that Metallica had to stand up against outright theft of intellectual property - we have the shit music industry that we have today with no good original music coming out and no hope of any good music on the horizon. They were 100% right about Napster and illegal downloads which basically became streaming over time and the now "legal theft" of artists' music (1 million streams pays about $3,000 to the artist).

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a change in money made, in the 80’s if you sold a million singles depending on your deal you would expect anywhere from 80-130k in royalties. I don’t stream, never will. If I like the music I still buy the cd. Or if it’s 70’s music the original vinyl. Which reminds me, I saw a listing for led zep IV on eBay, ‘rare lp’ I mean it only sold about 10 million copies. Lol.

filtersweep

Reaction score
Because more bands and artists DIDN'T have the balls that Metallica had to stand up against outright theft of intellectual property - we have the shit music industry that we have today with no good original music coming out and no hope of any good music on the horizon. They were 100% right about Napster and illegal downloads which basically became streaming over time and the now "legal theft" of artists' music (1 million streams pays about $3,000 to the artist).
There are loads of awesome music out there. Do you have Spotify? Pick a genre.

And your case: a million streams for $3000. What does that even mean? Half the shit that was popular was rammed down our throats on radio— where artists indirectly PAID for the exposure. But a million streams does not equal a million ‘sales.’ Who bought albums to listen to them once? I must have listened to some tracks hundreds of times. And now I avoid radio, and stream from my car.

Do the math: big artists receive 100s of millions of streams per song. Many songs are too weak to translate into full album sales- under the old model.... like Baby Shark.

DotStudio

Reaction score
Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but how many artists/painters get payed every time their works are sold to collectors and/or looked at while hanging in an art gallery/museum?

The term "starving-artist" isn't exclusive to visual-arts.
If they have the rights to the painting, they'll get a royalty when it appears in print or on television, which is the appropriate analog.

jvin248

Reaction score

Napster only pointed the way to an easier listening medium. And a big gripe at the time was constantly 'only that one good song on the whole $18 CD'. Apple saw the new business model.

Apple iTunes is what broke the Music Industry -- they made it easier to get songs you liked than any other way. Original iPod held like three hundred(?) songs. You couldn't carry that many CDs in your backpack. And you could buy just that one song you really liked.

... 99% of musicians carry around, use, and promote those Apple iPhones and iTunes/etc. Irony.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
they pissed a lot of fans off (including me) with the napster shite, I've never brought them back up to the rung they were on before since. Ironic but serves them right since their actions 20+yrs ago really paved the way for shit like the DMCA and other copyright entities.

Latest Threads