Mesa V-Twin polarity question

Pin

Reaction score
Hi folks, just a question to which I think I know the answer but I am cautious and unsure - hence the question.

I have obtained a s/h Mesa V-twin pedal which came with a 9volt AC out 1 amp power supply which is incorrect - should be a 12 volt AC 1 amp out supply. I have got hold of the correct AC power outlet but it is a multi-plug and I am unsure about polarity on the insert barrel plug.

Is it correct that (unlike DC out) when using AC in / AC out the polarity doesn't matter?

roffe

Reaction score
Correct, as long as it's AC you won't have to worry about polarity.

Big John

answer the question, question the answer
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Polarity certainly mattered in AC tube circuits in the old days. Remember the polarity switches on Fenders and Marshalls? Probably doesn't matter in this pedal but I'm not sure. Best to contact Boogie and find out the correct pin orientation for the power jack. By the way, congrats on getting this pedal. I used to have one years ago and it rocked. FWIW, Mesa still offers the lead channel mod, which enables you to volume-match all 3 modes, which is a must if you plan on using all 3 modes live.

Pin

Reaction score
I think Big John you have told me the obvious but I appreciate that because it is exactly what I should have done - contact Mesa and find out from the horse's mouth!

Yes, I have after one of these twins for a long time and the last thing I want to do is bugger it up. Got it for a good price too.

Pin

Reaction score
Ok people and just for future reference I thought I'd provide the lowdown on the info I received from Kris Dilbeck of Mesa engineering:

First, here is a link to the recommend power supply for 110 volt consumers (USA):

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_100167_-1

Here is the lowdown on the basics of the power adaptor for the V-Twin:

Input: 240V AC 50 - 60hz (if UK based)
Output: 12V AC, 1 amp (1,000 ma)
Plug size
Inside DIMS 2.5mm
Outside DIMS 5.5mm
Barrel Length 11mm

Do NOT use a DC output supply (ever!)

And last but not least, the barrel connector polarity does not matter given that the unit is AC powered.

bertrand4070

Reaction score
polarity doesn't matter and the v-twin works also with 9vAC

Latest Threads