Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Played one awhile back and don't remember much other than it sounded good and would be a nice grab and go amp due to the size.
10" speaker ??

Unless it's a dirt cheap deal I'd be cautious of spending too much. Mesa isn't a amp repairers favorite brand.

Maybe $450 if it was minty.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I remember wanting one of these back in the 90s because Bush used them on the Sixteen Stone album.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I almost purchased one back in the 90's, but was thinking it just wasn't powerful enough for me. That was a mistake back then where I picked up a Fender Rockpro 1000, which was a pretty good Solid State Hybrid with tube distortion. Anyway, when I moved to California 3 years years ago, one came up for sale locally in Chula Vista and I had to pick it up for $400 US dollars. Definitely worth it, a fantastic amp that I had until I upgraded to a Mesa Boogie Five 35. Now I am using a Dark Terror, since the Five 35 was just to much amp for me and to many settings to mess around with for my overall liking it. Mine was the Subway Rocket Reverb, so it had a nice reverb with it.

Last edited:

scozz

Reaction score
They look cool little amps...you’ve never played one then huh @paruwi?

bblooz

Reaction score
Had a Subway Blues years ago, should have never gotten rid of it. I've heard good things about the Rocket too. If you can get one at a reasonable price, sounds like a good investment in tone. Let us know how it works out....

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I actually wanted the Rocket 44 way back in the 90's, but it was out of my price range at the time which is why I was looking at the Subway Rocket Reverb.

Liquid State

Reaction score
I had a subway blues and a subway rocket. Fun amps!
The Blues: no master volume, so you need to play loud or use pedals for OD. Does break-up nicely when turned up. The reverb is nice. Later models (like the one I had) allow for "half" power output to speaker. Great grab and go for jams and small gigs.

The Rocket: with a master volume on both channels really good break-up tones are easy. Only issue with the 2 channel design is that there is only one tone stack EQ. When it is set right (by my ears) for one channel it was not great for the other and visa versa. It is another really good amp and does the "mesa thing" well. Was my first amp with effects loops so I could crank the gain and use delay in the loop. Loved it!

I eventually got a 5:25 Express (with 12") as it ticked all the boxes. You can kind of see how the Subway evolved to the Rocket and then evolved again to the Express in terms of features.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I eventually got a 5:25 Express (with 12") as it ticked all the boxes. You can kind of see how the Subway evolved to the Rocket and then evolved again to the Express in terms of features.
I've wondered what the 'ancestors' of the Express series had been,
this makes some sense to me :applause:
Bought a nearly new Express 5:25+ a few months ago and love the versatility of this
small package :thumb:

Liquid State

Reaction score
LUV that mini mesa stack. If that is one of the speaker cabinets purpose built for the Express series you have a very rare piece of equipment there. They only made a handful and almost never come up for sale.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I definitely prefer a 1x12 over a 1x10 anyway! That is one reason I never got a smaller Express Boogie, since they came with a 1x10 when I was looking at them.

Latest Threads