Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Anyone here own a Boogie, Fillmore 25? It is giving me serious GAS! The impetus for said GAS is the several allusions to this amp being one of the very few (if any) Boogies that can do authentic Marshall and Tweed sounds. Also curious about the Celestion Custom 90 speaker that comes in it stock? One problem is that there is not one locally for me to try and I'd have buy buy from like SweetWater, opening myself up to the return shipping, if I don't like it!
Anybody?
Gene

fry

Reaction score
I’ve never even seen one of these in person. I was very intrigued by them, and think they look pretty awesome. I believe the reviews are very good, and there should be plenty of videos. I think it’s one of those that has two channels that are identical, and you can adjust them dramatically different from each other. The black shadow speaker is a tweaked version of the Celestion Classic Lead 80, the way I understand it.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I’ve never even seen one of these in person. I was very intrigued by them, and think they look pretty awesome. I believe the reviews are very good, and there should be plenty of videos. I think it’s one of those that has two channels that are identical, and you can adjust them dramatically different from each other. The black shadow speaker is a tweaked version of the Celestion Classic Lead 80, the way I understand it.
Yes, I'm aware of those claims, although I'm not sure that I've played through that "Celestion Classic Lead 80" either, unless that is the same model "V-Type 80" that comes in the DSL40CR. If so, the one in the DSL isn't so bad, but definitely doesn't sound like any Greenback/Creamback variant!

The Gas Is Strong On This One!
Gene

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Years ago, I got a Budda Superdrive 18 and it (together with my Fender HRD, Blackstar HT5, Egnater Tweaker 15 and other assorted amps) helped quell my amp gas. However, I have become a big fan of low power amps. I love how I can push them without waking the dead. I plan on buying as many sun 5W amps as I can over the next year or so (Marshalls in particular).

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a new amp. I had it narrowed down to a Mesa Boogie or a Friedman. I'm going with a Friedman Dirty Shirley, hand wired. Though I haven't ordered it yet, and the Mesa creeps back into my mind sometimes.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Years ago, I got a Budda Superdrive 18 and it (together with my Fender HRD, Blackstar HT5, Egnater Tweaker 15 and other assorted amps) helped quell my amp gas. However, I have become a big fan of low power amps. I love how I can push them without waking the dead. I plan on buying as many sun 5W amps as I can over the next year or so (Marshalls in particular).
Ya know, in my universe, even a 5 watt amp like a DSL5, Champ or Class5 needs an attenuator to not hear the dreaded phrase: "Your guitar sounds great, can you just turn it down a little bit?" once cranked to its real sweet spot!

With that said, the hands down best piece of gear I've ever had in 50+ years of "Screamin & Squawkin'" with guitars has been the DIY, M-lite attenuator detailed here:

I can use any amp up to 50 watts, fully cranked into its sweetest spot, with all my bells and whistles, harmonic feedback, etc, etc, at bedroom volumes. This allows me to use my full rig for personal practice and get all my detailed echo/effects cues and levels right where I want them and then simply lessen the attenuation until I'm at performance volumes. It is so liberating that words cannot accurately describe it! To be honest though, any amps above thirty watts are "just a tad" above "bedroom" volumes, when cranked

Lovin' My Tone!
Gene

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wrote a long post or two in another thread about these and the California Tweed about a year ago or so. I've played them a lot in the store since then:

My short answer is that I was pretty seriously GASing for a Fillmore until I actually played one. Now I don't really have any desire for one at all, though it's still a cool amp with nice features.

I would add that it can perhaps do authentic Tweed sounds, but I didn't hear much Marshall in the overdriven sounds. It definitely had its own, Mesa flavor there. And the reverb was not very Fendery, either.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
The Classic Lead 80 and Mesa Black Shadow sound nothing like the 70/80 or V type speakers they put in the DSL40 combos.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I wrote a long post or two in another thread about these and the California Tweed about a year ago or so. I've played them a lot in the store since then:

My short answer is that I was pretty seriously GASing for a Fillmore until I actually played one. Now I don't really have any desire for one at all, though it's still a cool amp with nice features.

I would add that it can perhaps do authentic Tweed sounds, but I didn't hear much Marshall in the overdriven sounds. It definitely had its own, Mesa flavor there. And the reverb was not very Fendery, either.
While I recall your comments concerning the "California Tweed" I'm not sure that I remember you saying much about the Fillmore. You helped save me from a GAS fueled purchase of that "California Tweed" and now you may have saved me again! I "so want to love just that right Boogie" but maybe they simply haven't actually made it yet! The description of the Fillmore by Mesa Boogie at their website and in the User Manual, certainly make it seem like it would do what I want, but..........? I guess it may still just be another Booger! :facepalm:

Thank You Sir!
Gene

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Honestly I keep wanting to like these amps, because I want an excuse to buy something I guess. They have great features, they just don't really do it for me for whatever reason. Whenever I go to that guitar shop I plug into one, but am always left feeling underwhelmed.

YMMV and all that, if you get a chance to play one try it out.

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
The Classic Lead 80 and Mesa Black Shadow sound nothing like the 70/80 or V type speakers they put in the DSL40 combos.
Yeah, I think he mixed up a couple of speakers there. The original DSL40 had the Seventy 80, the more recent CR version has the V type, but I believe it is 70 watts, not 80. It’s a well liked speaker from everything I have read. The Seventy 80, not so much.

Latest Threads