Memorial Day Gibson Git-Fiddle late '52 or early '53 LP STD

OBX351

Reaction score
For $h!t$ and giggles, I thought I'd post my late '52 or early '53 refinished LP STD that I bought about 11 years ago at the Guitar Center in Rockville MD for a pittance. When I bought it, the guitar was all original except the gold finish has striped and the original case was painted gold, go figure. Since it was refinished I decided to have John Ingram, one of the original PRS employees, refret it and swapped out the original trapeze tailpiece and replaced it with a MojoAxe tailpiece. John did a spectacular on the refret, setup and install of the new tailpiece. He used a jumbo PRS wire which is as tall but not as wide as the '59 Gibson wire. After he was done with it this guitar has become the easiest and most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

The tone on these old guitars is ridiculous and this one is exceptional and it has huge sustain and resonance. I really lucked out. The guitar weighs just about 7 lbs and the neck is more of a med sized neck. It's a good deal smaller than my '56 TV but as stated above it's really comfortable. I actually prefer big/huge necks nonetheless yet, this is my #1 guitar.

I am not bashing anyone who converts these trapeze guitars. I totally understand some are unplayable because of the neck setup, goofy tail and tiny frets and that some are demolished hulks. However, these are magical guitars if you can fix 'em and set them up correctly. The pickups are deeper in the pocket and I think they have better resonate and sustain because of it. The old P90 pickups are totally underrated compared to their PAF/Patent # brethren. Generally speaking P90s are loud, dynamic, angry, and have been known to scare the elderly and small children. When you roll back the vol they become fat and juicy. Yeah, they hum and are not as creamy as PAF but they make up for that by cutting through the mix. Got off track there, sorry!! Anyway, Happy Memorial Day and for you vets and current servicemen and women, thank you for your service!!

52 and marshall small.jpg

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh, my heathenly days! As I have mentioned before, in the late '70s I did sound for a guy who gigged a '53 LP; a previous owner had stripped & tung-oiled it, and converted it to (I believe a Dove version of) a ToM & a 330/335-style trapeze tailpiece. Yours brings back memories - and I completely agree both about P-90s not getting the respect they deserve (the HB was not invented due to any tonal deficiencies on the part of its esteemed forebear!) & about the deeper set working better.
Enjoy that gorgeous thing - and if you ever feel a need to give it away.............

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice!

I found an early '53 4 years ago, had it converted back to a trap with the Mojoaxe TP (it had a shortened trap and an ABR-1 routed into the body) and refinished. My favorite guitar.

OBX351

Reaction score
Nice!

I found an early '53 4 years ago, had it converted back to a trap with the Mojoaxe TP (it had a shortened trap and an ABR-1 routed into the body) and refinished. My favorite guitar.
Pics??

Left Paw

Reaction score
I like that one fairly thin piece of flamed maple on the top.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
The only thing that would make that better is a proper gold refin, that is a sweet guitar right there.