Melody Maker Explorer vs 'real' Explorer, what are the differences?

Eagle X

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm wondering about the differences between Melody Maker Explorer and 'real' Explorer. Aside from pickups, knobs, headstock shape and fretboard material, which are quite obvious, are there differences on wood grade, build quality, neck profile, tone (if using the same pickup), etc? Thank you.

ver

Reaction score
If you are talking about the most recent offerings of melody maker that I am aware of, probably 10 years ago (2011 ish?),

1. I think the melody maker bodies are made of maple, not mahogany.
2. Also, I read that the melody makers are a slightly smaller body - someone said 90% the size of the standard Exporer?

I could be wrong on both of those as I've never seen one other than online, and getting accurate specs is sometimes a challenge. I was briefly interested in trying to buy one a year or two ago, is why I found out the two differences I noted.

Again, they both could be wrong - someone else will be able to confirm or deny, I'd bet.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I was utterly oblivious to their existence until this thread.

the supplied picture to show the size difference is giving me GAS for a white Explorer now :D

Side Burns

#==€@)
Reaction score
GibsonExplorerMelodyMakerSizeComparisonJimPearson.jpg

LocoTex

Reaction score
Much thinner body, different body and neck materials, different pickups and hardware......pretty much everything is different. The only commonality is the shape.

Sharp

Reaction score
I bought a 2011 MM SG:
570828F4-FD66-465A-A8CA-E167DADF0834.jpeg

Maple body, mahogany neck, high output HB. Same size body as my SG Custom. I turned it into this:
41032C7C-78E2-44E0-8FF2-790BC595AA61.jpeg

I took it apart, routed it, stripped and refinished it, put it back together and it plays great. It’s a well made Gibson guitar. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
I would LOVE to have one of those MM Explorers...

:cheers2:
It’s a really cool and unique Explorer. Sounds very good and fun to play, though I have several Explorers and haven’t used the MM much. I think the original selling price for these was like $570, which in my opinion was too much. I realize that the barebones nature of the MM is the appeal here, and these are REALLY barebones. The body is actually smaller than the standard Explorer. The build quality is good with no issues. After several months the price on these MM series of guitars was lowered considerably so I guess they never sold well.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson has made a Melody Maker out of every solid body style except Firebird.
My MMs are 55 years apart design wise, but 7 years apart production wise.

2014 Les Paul MM and 2007 '59 Reissue MM. The 2014 has had some bits changed. It is the only carved top MM and the only Gibson that is an LP and an MM. The '59 now has a black lipstick pickup.

full

Gibsonian

Reaction score
Gibson was selling the last ones for less than $400. I couldn't decide on a shape and ended up not getting one.

Sharp

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the blue sg has a true baseball bat neck, easily the fattest neck of all my Gibsons. Iirc, the earliest ones were big as well. What about the explorer?

Eagle X

Reaction score
Looks like I asked a really stupid question but I appreciate all your help. I found a Melody Maker Explorer at an affordable price when I was looking for an explorer. I'm gonna skip this one.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I asked a really stupid question but I appreciate all your help. I found a Melody Maker Explorer at an affordable price when I was looking for an explorer. I'm gonna skip this one.
It wasn't a stupid question. Others in this thread didn't know there was such a thing so you had that over them :)

Latest Threads