Medium jumbo vs. medium jumbo historic

Lhdr

Reaction score
Maybe the difference of what I was feeling between the standard 50’s and 60th anniversary neck had more to do with the frets than shoulders?

Any input? Could a luthier file them closer?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
what if you wind up with a fretless wonder?at least now you have a little extra beef before you need a refret.

Lhdr

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I dont know much about frets. Anyone know the difference between these two and could they make a huge difference in feel or is it most likely the neck?

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
I know USA changed fretwire around 2015 and are still using that same stuff in 2020.

It was much taller. My 2007 has “medium jumbo” and they are tall. My 2020 standard has “medium jumbo” and they are short like my 2015 Trad.

I wonder if plek’ing has anything to do with it? Idk but in 2015 they were advertising lower fretwire as a selling point. And in 2020 it’s still the lower “vintage”y stuff.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
A luthier most likely can lower them by sanding/grinding. I imagine if you find one with a plek machine it could be done rather inexpensivly.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
One, good and proper fret leveling, re-crowning and polishing done by a competent Luthier will lower the perceived height of the frets.

Classic Gibson electric guitar frets are 45-100, that's .045 tall and .100 wide.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
From a quick look on the forum:

"Hi Tom,

You are correct about the name Jescar. We do supply the fret wire to Gibson, and the wire for the Historics is the FW45100.

If you ever have questions about fret wire I'll be glad to asset you. You can reach me here or Jeff@Jescar.com."

PauloQS

Reaction score
In therms of measurements my 60th Anniversary R9 and my Standard ‘50s have dead on equal height and width. The difference is in the shape. More precisely, how much roundedness is in the tradition from the side walls of the fret to the top of the fret. The R9 has a much smother/rounder transition from side walls to the to of the fret. The Gibson USA frets look almost like a trapezoid with dull edges in comparison.

Kind of an inverted \_/

danzego

Reaction score
In therms of measurements my 60th Anniversary R9 and my Standard ‘50s have dead on equal height and width. The difference is in the shape. More precisely, how much roundedness is in the tradition from the side walls of the fret to the top of the fret. The R9 has a much smother/rounder transition from side walls to the to of the fret. The Gibson USA frets look almost like a trapezoid with dull edges in comparison.

Kind of an inverted \_/
That drives me up a wall that Gibson USA leaves the frets shaped that way. My 2019 Traditional has that shape and I’ve never liked it. My Standard 50s had it too, but not long after purchasing it, I took it to get Pleked (or REpleked, as the case may be) at Mike Lull guitars in Seattle and dang....it plays like glass! So smooth.

Incidentally, when the 2019 Traditionals came out, the fretwire was spec’ed as “Low”. The Standard 50’s were spec’ed as “medium”. However, I’ve compared the two using a caliper and they both have the same stuff on there. IIRC, the width is .90. My 60th anniversary R0 (2020) is about the same height, but definitely wider than what they’re using on the Gibson USA guitars. If you look at currently in stock guitars at Sweetwater, with their nice close up clear photos, you can see the difference (at least I feel I can).

Which brings it back to the question of whether it changes the feel. I say it absolutely does. I do feel a difference in fretting between my Custom Shop, Traditional, and the Standard 50s with the frets redone (they’re properly rounded now).

Mind you, it’s not as extreme as, say, my American Professional Tele that has thin and tall frets (which I’ve grown to dislike, unfortunately), but there’s definitely a feel difference that goes beyond their different neck profiles. I definitely prefer the Custom Shop neck profiles, but I think I slightly favor the Standard 50s frets (once redone properly).

Last edited:

Latest Threads