Measuring capacitors...

dasherf17

Reaction score
OK...it seems I stumped the search engine with this one, so I'll ask the luthiering populace...starting with a statement...
I got a box of caps and resistors at work last year, some caps looking very much like bumblebees. I'd like to take a multimeter to it, but how do I measure microfarads with what I have? I don't see the uF/pF symbols on it...any help is great!

diskotekno

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You either need a meter with a capacitor tester or another device called a component tester. The latter are pretty cheap and very useful to have around.

Something like this

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
Harbor freight sells a DMM that'll test them for like $4. I just got a decent $20, 6000 count DMM from Amazon and it works fine. I was having issues checking cable capacitance but it turns out I wasn't measuring correctly. D'oh! I didn't realize you tested them from one end only and not like you do when checking them for voltage/amperage/resistance.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, I have a meter that also measures capacitance. I got it from StewMac when they had a sale.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do tons of DIY pedal stuff and breadboarding. This is the jam right here:

Obviously I still use a meter for testing voltage, etc. but this component tester is very handy for everything else.

Reactions: Rds

dasherf17

Reaction score
Aahh, good ol' "Mambo Sun"! I had to pull Electric Warrior out...
Thanks, y'all...Harbor Freight's a favorite of mine...I do have a DMM (digital multimeter, right?)

1627830181567.jpg

Will this one do the job, and where do I set it? (Don't get me wrong, I check pickups for resistance, batteries for voltage, but microfarads are something else...where do I "hook up"?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aahh, good ol' "Mambo Sun"! I had to pull Electric Warrior out...
Thanks, y'all...Harbor Freight's a favorite of mine...I do have a DMM (digital multimeter, right?)

View attachment 552767

Will this one do the job, and where do I set it? (Don't get me wrong, I check pickups for resistance, batteries for voltage, but microfarads are something else...where do I "hook up"?
This meter has no capacitance testing section.

dasherf17

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of...I'll check out StewMac and Harbor Freight 'n' see what I can find...thanks for the direction!

Latest Threads