McDonald's helps workers get food stamps

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a cold- hearted asshole, but frankly, if you possess no other marketable skills beyond the ability to flip a meat patty, then your labor isn't worth very much. Left-wing theories to the contrary, if you try to artificially raise the value of labor, you also raise the price for everything created with that labor, therefore reducing demand for that product and forcing businesses to reduce labor costs in order for the business to survive, mostly in the form of layoffs and reduced hours. Its an imperfect system we have, but free markets still work better. Acquire a marketable skill. Learn how to weld. Anything. But its on the individual to make his life better. We gotta stop asking others to do it for us.

Whoa!! Easy there big fella.

No old-fashioned common sense allowed here. You must THINK for a change and wrap your brain around some "nuanced" psycho-babble of a Central planning State that forces da Hopes and da Chainz, while gracefully blaming someone else. :wave:

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so."
Ronald Reagan

Torren61

Reaction score
Whoa!! Easy there big fella.

No old-fashioned common sense allowed here. You must THINK for a change and wrap your brain around some "nuanced" psycho-babble of a Central planning State that forces da Hopes and da Chainz, while gracefully blaming someone else. :wave:

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so."
Ronald Reagan

Funny you should quote the Gipper, Little Buddy. He's the guy who campaigned against Medicare in 1961 but signed the biggest expansion of the same bill in 1988 which was then repealed by Dubya's dad less than two years later. Looks like he figured out they knew more than he thought they did.

:hmm: History will most likely repeat itself.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a cold- hearted asshole, but frankly, if you possess no other marketable skills beyond the ability to flip a meat patty, then your labor isn't worth very much. Left-wing theories to the contrary, if you try to artificially raise the value of labor, you also raise the price for everything created with that labor, therefore reducing demand for that product and forcing businesses to reduce labor costs in order for the business to survive, mostly in the form of layoffs and reduced hours. Its an imperfect system we have, but free markets still work better. Acquire a marketable skill. Learn how to weld. Anything. But its on the individual to make his life better. We gotta stop asking others to do it for us.

Let's ignore the fact, that FF is NOT the only jobs at minimum wage.

But of course, it's easy to say, "go make yourself marketable". Tell that to the single parent, already working two jobs, two min wage jobs, that he/she needs to stop making any income, feeding his/her self and children, so they can go to a trade school, or forgo sleep to go to school, assuming they can pay for it. Not everyone out there working minimum wage, or a job that started at that, are just out of HS kids that can live with mommy and daddy. It is real people trying to make it through life. Some have suddenly found themselves knocked to the bottom.

No question it is in within the individuals scope to better their life. But raising the min wage, to where a person can LIVE, i.e. bare necessities, is not 'providing a better life". Not sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp. It is providing a barely live able life.

And frankly you ARE 'providing' it for them, as they are using food stamps and other assistance, paid by YOUR tax dollars. So YOU are doing it for them, as you put it.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Let's make minimum wage $20/hour, so that we get full automation much quicker.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
44% of Minimum wage earners have attended or finished College

$1 minimum-wage increase lifts household income by about $250 and increases spending by about $700 a quarter in the following year.

Raise the Minimum Wage - Bloomberg

This link between productivity and the minimum wage ended with the 1970s. During that decade the minimum wage roughly kept pace with inflation, meaning that its purchasing power changed little over the course of the decade. The real value of the minimum then fell sharply in the 1980s as we went most of the decade without any increase in the nominal value of the wage, allowing it to be eroded by inflation. Since the early 1990s the real value of the minimum wage has roughly stayed constant, which means that it has further fallen behind productivity growth.

If the minimum wage had kept pace with productivity growth it would be $16.54 in 2012 dollars. It is important to note that this is a very conservative measure of productivity growth.

The Minimum Wage and Economic Growth | CEPR Blog

A 2007 study by economists at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and the U.S. Department of Agriculture found that a 21-percent rise in the minimum wage during the late 1990s resulted in price increases at restaurants of .07 percent, or about $.02 on a $30 meal.

raising Arizona’s minimum wage by 31 percent, from$5.15 to $6.75 an hour. They projected that to cover the wage increase, a clothing store would need to sell a $20 sweatshirt for $20.02, a restaurant would need to raise a $20 meal to $20.28, and a hotel would need to charge $100.80 for a room instead of $100.

A University of Chicago poll of 38 leading economists this February asked whether raising the minimum wage to $9 an hour would make it harder for low-skilled workers to find jobs. The panel split: 34 percent said yes, 32 percent no, and 24 percent were uncertain

6 Things You Don't Know About Minimum Wage | The Fiscal Times

Scooter2112

Reaction score
If the minimum wage had kept pace with productivity growth it would be $16.54 in 2012 dollars.

Deal.

Propose it, debate it, and pass it into law. In fact..make it an even $20. You'll need it to afford that healthcare plan that you were told you can keep.

Then sit back and watch what happens. :cool:

FYI. Most FF joints were paying above Min. Wage before the min. wage was raised last time. And many in the restaurant biz work on a different pay structure that relies on gratuities. All the last MW raise did was to place those that were above it, on it. Which looks cute on a graph, and serves as fodder for that giant political cannon.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's clear that fast-food jobs aren't just held by kids. That would seem to undermine one argument against raising the minimum wage -- "kids don't need to earn a living wage because they're living at home already."

It'd be nice to see fast-food joints have to compete for labor, but that isn't going to happen so long as better-paying jobs are being off-shored and their American cast-offs are taking any job available to make ends meet.

:applause:

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This one belongs in the dumbing down of America thread:

Ronald Reagan

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All the last MW raise did was to place those that were above it, on it. .

ROFLMAO. Do you realize how inane that makes you sound? NO, no it didn't. LOLOLOLOLOL

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This one belongs in the dumbing down of America thread:

Ronald Reagan

Trickle down economics, supply side economics, VOODOO ECONOMICS, mainstreaming, dumping of people on the street, completely and deliberately ignoring the AIDS epidemic, making secret deals to arm our enemies and future enemies, cozying up to the Moral majority and other even more virulent fundamentalists, etc etc etc.

A walking talking example of stupidity in action. Yes Virgina, anyone can be president, no matter how incompetent. And now he has magically become Saint Ronnie. :shock:

slapshot

Reaction score
does mcshitolds help the people they displace with their corporate greed get foodstamps?

#banmcdonalds

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll take Saint Ronnie's America vs Imam Obama's 'Murica.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
Interesting comments here. I was making near what many are advocating for minimum wage increase back in the early eighties working in a warehouse lifting boxes all night. I shouldn't have been paid that? I was able to pay rent on LI, buy a decent automobile and, get this...I was able to pay my college tuition with cash.

Because I was able to move myself out of unskilled labor into a higher paid profession, I was able to afford even greater quality of life improvement...professional development - graduate school at a private university.

I for one do have no reason to resent unskilled workers making a living wage.

...but I do have one question: The corporation does not pay these workers directly, the franchisee does. Yes? Would some care to explain to me in laymen's terms how this is managed? I'm interested.

Torren61

Reaction score
Trickle down economics, supply side economics, VOODOO ECONOMICS, mainstreaming, dumping of people on the street, completely and deliberately ignoring the AIDS epidemic, making secret deals to arm our enemies and future enemies, cozying up to the Moral majority and other even more virulent fundamentalists, etc etc etc.

A walking talking example of stupidity in action. Yes Virgina, anyone can be president, no matter how incompetent. And now he has magically become Saint Ronnie. :shock:

Scooter for President!

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll take Saint Ronnie's America vs Imam Obama's 'Murica.

You probably didn't notice, but back in them good old days, it wasn't just winoes and druggies living behind the local supermarkets. It was entire families of people who previously had jobs. And people ejected from mental hospitals. And it was the golden era of junk bond kings and corporate raiders - an integral part of why those former working families were now living behind the supermarket. It was a time when "Fvck you I got mine" and "Greed is good" became our national slogans. And the people being "mainstreamed" or dumped or fired (laid off if it sounds less sad) suddenly became "lazy fvcks who just want a hand out and won't work"

That selective memory is showing.

I prefer to stay in these times. Those times were the start and the root of the disease that is still eating at this country.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
ROFLMAO. Do you realize how inane that makes you sound? NO, no it didn't. LOLOLOLOLOL

OK...explain yourself. :dunno:

If someone was paying $7.00/ hour when the min wage was $5.25/hour, and then the MW was raised to $7.25/hour, how many of those people are now making minimum wage?? :hmm:

Then look into what statistics on % of workers making the Minimum wage, and by extension, where they stand along the poverty line, get used to promote or advance other legislation in relation to that.

Pretty straight-forward concept. :)

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You probably didn't notice, but back in them good old days, it wasn't just winoes and druggies living behind the local supermarkets. It was entire families of people who previously had jobs. And people ejected from mental hospitals. And it was the golden era of junk bond kings and corporate raiders - an integral part of why those former working families were now living behind the supermarket. It was a time when "Fvck you I got mine" and "Greed is good" became our national slogans. And the people being "mainstreamed" or dumped or fired (laid off if it sounds less sad) suddenly became "lazy fvcks who just want a hand out and won't work"

That selective memory is showing.

I prefer to stay in these times. Those times were the start and the root of the disease that is still eating at this country.

I do not recall that at all, especially in this area. The Carter years brought misery, and the economy exploded in the mid-late 80s.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I for one do have no reason to resent unskilled workers making a living wage.

The truth is that nobody else does either. I respect anyone that works for a living.

Mention Raygun though, and it's always off to the races. :laugh2:

Latest Threads