McDonald's helps workers get food stamps

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Fast food businesses won't go under. Don't worry, you'll still have your Egg McMuffin.

I don't eat any of that shit. Your concern was workers. Those businesses need continuous customers, or there is no more reason to retain workers.

Prefer to personalize it now, and dodge the issue/change the subject for about the third time in as many posts?? :laugh2:

Try reloading that crack pipe of yours with some Ritalin next time. It will help you concentrate. :thumb:

Markie A

Reaction score
NAFTA: POTUS Ronnie Reagan's Dream Child

NAFTA: Signed into Law the 1st week of Bill Clinton's run as POTUS

Fair or unfair Trade Agreements:

•Australia
•Bahrain
•Canada
China
•Chile
•Colombia
•Costa Rica
•Dominican Republic
•El Salvador
•Guatemala
•Honduras
•Israel
India
•Jordan
•Korea
•Mexico
•Morocco
•Nicaragua
•Oman
•Panama
•Peru
•Singapore

Torren61

Reaction score
I don't eat any of that shit. Your concern was workers. Those businesses need continuous customers, or there is no more reason to retain workers.

Prefer to personalize it now, and dodge the issue/change the subject for about the third time in as many posts?? :laugh2:

Try reloading that crack pipe of yours with some Ritalin next time. It will help you concentrate. :thumb:

I thought I told you to THINK. They won't go out of business. The price of junk food will go up and people will pay it. Relax.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We are going to unionize the fast food industry and improve the lives of workers. It's just a matter of time.

Fast Food Forward

No you're not. You want to do that, but fast food is not going to be an industry that pays a living wage. The whole business model it's based on isn't going to allow for a huge expansion of workers rights.

I'm not saying this because I'm some mean bastard, I'm saying this because it's what I feel the reality of the matter is.

For one thing? The general public doesn't care. They're not rallying to get behind a push for fast food workers to achieve a living wage. They're just not. Change that, and you may have a chance... But I'll believe it when I see it.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a good answer.

Now think back to when the Min wage was around $5.25. Seems to me that people were getting more hours, and no entitlements. Otherwise, this whole thing would have been a story 5 years ago, when ya'll could have blamed what's his face. :laugh2:

The economy was better back then, inflation was lower. Since then, 9/11 happened and the Great Depression 2.0. The economy sucks now and more people are at the poverty line or lower... while working. 90% of the new jobs created since 2009 are part time.

It's not a question of blame, but how are we going to deal with this. I would rather see people working and getting paid more than on SNAP.

That's my point that you guys are missing. Add in the fact that at some break point, the public may decide that it's cheaper to just cook at home, and the industry dries up...which will eventually be blamed on union-busting or some other unrelated nonsense.

These sorts of things don't exist in a vacuum. And for every action taken, there is always a reaction to follow.

It should be across the board for all industries. If people have money in their pockets, they are not going to give up the fast food industry.... its too convenient. The only way the economy is going to startup is with money in peoples pockets so they can spend.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The only way the economy is going to startup is with money in peoples pockets so they can spend.

And there you have it in a nutshell. Permanant, ongoing money in their pockets NOT a one time check, etc., is what is needed. And that means jobs, earning MORE than subsistance (though at least that does keep a few industries with revenue).

YES, we need to find a way (imho fast) to start creating REAL jobs. Part-time, and part-time min wage jobs are better than no jobs, but they are just weak patches on the swimming pool holes. We need to recreate those 'above entry level' jobs, the next step jobs. But we have struggled with that as a country ever since we took all the steps that caused those jobs to start dissapearing or being shipped elsewhere.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Everyone should make $100/hour. Nothing more, nothing less, comrades. Unless you're a CEO. Then you get a ham sandwich.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder who McDs is selling all this "shit" food to?
Nobody on MLP but me eats it, apparently. lol

Torren61

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder who McDs is selling all this "shit" food to?
Nobody on MLP but me eats it, apparently. lol

That's funny. I used eat there until I figured out just how bad it was for me. It's not that it tasted so good but it's that it was fast and convenient.

When I was in fourth grade in Memphis, TN, I went to St. Ann's catholic school. They didn't have a kitchen in the newly built cafeteria. You had two choices. You could bring your lunch or they would come around in the morning with a list and you could order your lunch from the McDonalds across Highland Street.

A cheeseburger was .25, a Big Mac was .55, a coke was .25 and fries were .15. You could eat a meal and get change back from your dollar.

That Mickey D's is still there.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a cold- hearted asshole, but frankly, if you possess no other marketable skills beyond the ability to flip a meat patty, then your labor isn't worth very much. Left-wing theories to the contrary, if you try to artificially raise the value of labor, you also raise the price for everything created with that labor, therefore reducing demand for that product and forcing businesses to reduce labor costs in order for the business to survive, mostly in the form of layoffs and reduced hours. Its an imperfect system we have, but free markets still work better. Acquire a marketable skill. Learn how to weld. Anything. But its on the individual to make his life better. We gotta stop asking others to do it for us.

Torren61

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a cold- hearted asshole, but frankly, if you possess no other marketable skills beyond the ability to flip a meat patty, then your labor isn't worth very much. Left-wing theories to the contrary, if you try to artificially raise the value of labor, you also raise the price for everything created with that labor, therefore reducing demand for that product and forcing businesses to reduce labor costs in order for the business to survive, mostly in the form of layoffs and reduced hours. Its an imperfect system we have, but free markets still work better. Acquire a marketable skill. Learn how to weld. Anything. But its on the individual to make his life better. We gotta stop asking others to do it for us.

I hate that you sound like one, too.

Full-time adult workers in Australia earn a minimum of $14.50 and McDonalds there negotiated a 15% raise by 2016. There are 900 Mickey D's locations in Australia. M.D's in France pays $12 per hour with 1200 locations.

In-N-Out burger starts it's employees at $10.50. Dick's Drive In pays $10. Moo Cluck Moo pays $12 (And, no, they didn't put Detroit into bankruptcy). Each of those ff chains are doing quite well.

Looks like you're wrong.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
If that's the case, then they should by all means go where they can get the most for their labor. If it happens enough, eventually all the other restaurants will be forced to pay more to attract workers. That's how the free market is supposed to work.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, then they should by all means go where they can get the most for their labor. If it happens enough, eventually all the other restaurants will be forced to pay more to attract workers. That's how the free market is supposed to work.

Supposed to work and how it works..... very different.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A rising tide lifts all boats.

:laugh2:

rising-tide-lifts-all-boats-cartoon.gif

Latest Threads