Maybe some competition for the iPod

JimmyT

Reaction score
I haven't come across a device that looks like it could really compete with the overall package of the iPod (not that I've been looking), but I've just stumbled across this Android based player from Onkyo. It's more expensive, but when you consider the increase in quality and the fact that this could potentially hold nearly half a terabyte of music, it does look tempting.
Onkyo DP-X1

onkyo-dpx1.jpg

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
iPod?

Who still uses and iPod?

:shock:

I do. I can't stand killing my battery life on the phone when the ipod lasts forever. Also, I upgraded it with a 256gb flash drive. I also can't stand when I'm listening to music on my phone and someone calls, or there's some other notification that interrupts me. I like my music to be separate.

I never heard of this Onkyo, but I know they make great audio equipment. I just saw they can take up to 432gb so I may have just found my next upgrade! :D

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is just it, I like my phone to pause the music if I decide to take the call, then start it up again. I don't even have to think about it. All hands-free in which ever vehicle I am in too.

Plus fewer devices to worry about.

Never had any trouble with battery life on my phone, especially just listening to audio. Audio barely uses anything.

I get phone's with micro-sd cards, so no worry about space either.

:thumb:

JimmyT

Reaction score
I do. I can't stand killing my battery life on the phone when the ipod lasts forever. Also, I upgraded it with a 256gb flash drive. I also can't stand when I'm listening to music on my phone and someone calls, or there's some other notification that interrupts me. I like my music to be separate.

I never heard of this Onkyo, but I know they make great audio equipment. I just saw they can take up to 432gb so I may have just found my next upgrade! :D

Yeah, I do too. I usually get the smallest possible hard drive on my phone to keep the monthly payments down (got a 16Gb Samsung S6 Edge Plus) and definite +1 on the battery. plus, with headphones plugged in, the S6 barely fits in my pocket.
I'm fed up of having to choose something to take off of my iPod whenever I want to put something on.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That is just it, I like my phone to pause the music if I decide to take the call, then start it up again. I don't even have to think about it. All hands-free in which ever vehicle I am in too.

Plus fewer devices to worry about.

Never had any trouble with battery life on my phone, especially just listening to audio. Audio barely uses anything.

I get phone's with micro-sd cards, so no worry about space either.

:thumb:

I rarely use my phone for actual phone calls (I just like having mobile interwebs) so when I get a phonecall I'm like DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Go to Walgreen's, Walmart, or Best Buy and pick up a Microsoft Lumia 640 ATT Go-Phone (orange packaging) for somewhere between $6 and $29. Now you have a pocket Windows computer (doesn't need the SIM to operate other functions). It has a memory slot (128GB). Bluetooth to connect to the car and other systems as well as Wifi (Netflix). If you want, you can unlock the phone (directions are straight forward, ATT sends you the code) and use any sim card in it.

For those who have ripped (lossless) all their music from CDs and have high quality audio data to start with, a high end device like the Onkyo would be nice (so long as the playback system is up to snuff, too). However, if the music source is not lossless or if it was bought online or streamed, it's probably over kill. Additionally, the link from the Onkyo to the playback system needs to be analog wire (no bluetooth or wifi) because with that investment, you want the DAC in the Onkyo doing to conversion.

I still use my ipod, too.

I am pleasantly surprised with the DAC in the head unit (Alpine) in my car. I have tried all three ways of connecting (AUX, BT and USB). USB is the best, but not much different from the BT. The AUX is clearly the last choice for any device that doesn't have a good onboard DAC. My old phone sounded terrible through the AUX and great via USB and BT.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I haven't come across a device that looks like it could really compete with the overall package of the iPod (not that I've been looking), but I've just stumbled across this Android based player from Onkyo. It's more expensive, but when you consider the increase in quality and the fact that this could potentially hold nearly half a terabyte of music, it does look tempting.
Onkyo DP-X1

onkyo-dpx1.jpg

Holy sh1t, since Gibson bought them they are getting very "state of the art".
Henry knows how to bring them up to speed with such "modern" innovative products. :laugh2:

JimmyT

Reaction score
My first thought as well. I don't think I've seen or heard about one in a long time.

I knew most people used their phones these days. I wasn't expecting NOBODY to use PMP/iPods anymore. :laugh2:
Me and most people I know still use them, so I though the Onkyo would have a few more fans.

I would use my phone if not for three reasons:

1 - Manufacturers charge too much for memory for no reason. There's a £150-£200 price difference between the smallest and biggest iPhone, how much does a 64Gb Sd/MicroSD card cost? £15? It's about time all flagship phones had 100Gb on-board drives as standard.

2 - Battery issues. Obviously this varies from phone to phone, but every phone I've had wont last long with continuous audio playback.

3 - Size. Again, a phone to phone issue, but for a phone to be usable to me as the all-in-one mobile computing device it's advertised as, it needs to have a large screen, so I usually go for the 'Phablet' sized models. These are a bit uncomfortable to use as PMPs. If I'm out hiking, the phone's in the rucksack and the iPod's in my pocket.

All of these issues (except maybe, the size one) are going to be solved in the next 5-10 years or so, but until then, I'm still going to be using dedicated Personal music players.

Ed B

Reaction score
I still use my iPod every single day. I know it's a dinosaur, but I seriously dread the day it dies. I plug it in everywhere I go. My car, my home theater, my Bluetooth speakers. I'm not anti streaming. Just like having my music separate from my phone.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
That thing seems pretty expensive for something that uses expandable memory slots. That thing is 100 cheaper on Amazon.

Here's the Pioneer version, only good to 256gb.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0197WVF82/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1461858321&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Onkyo+DP-X1&dpPl=1&dpID=41S7V4JFfuL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

hecube

Reaction score
I do use one too (the newer ones).

I can make phone calls with it in a pinch (when there's wi-fi around).

That's all I need.

JimmyT

Reaction score

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
My wife and I were the 2 that bought Zune's, back in '08 or '09. I loved mine; the online component and library were very user friendly. Since Microsoft stopped all support for them, we were forced to switch to iPods.

I have a love hate with mine...the online library is not user friendly at all, and Apple prefers you buy your music from them, rather than load the music that I already own into their library. I am that guy that wants as much of my music with me as I can have, so I have a 160gB iPod classic. Right now, I have almost 13000 songs on it. But, the operating system for the Classic is outdated, and our vehicles don't do well with it. The wife's 2015 Juke and my 2016 Colorado will play it for a little while, and then it freezes. The Juke at least will recover rather quickly, and I have all the songs available. My truck only recognizes about 20% of the music on the iPod. I can plug the 1/8" analog cable in and everything works just fine, but I'm a skipper, so the iPod sits in the cradle where the phone usually sits so I can skip a song if I don't like it, or care to hear it at that moment.

When on trips, its actually easier to dial up Pandora or I heart Radio and just let it play, rather than futz around with the iPod crashing every 15 or 20 minutes.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I have not had a MP3 player in years. I like the radio channel apps on the iPad. If there is some thing I really must hear I go to YouTube. I have a poop house full of CDs that are very unorganized and are spread out in shelves and drawers all over the house. I never brother with them. I was hot for an iPod years ago, the idea of loading my CDs on to it cooled me off fast.

hecube

Reaction score
In fact, I use mine mostly as a micro iPad.

I use it mainly to stream music (not from Apple), check Facebook and record riffs on the fly.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I have not had a MP3 player in years. I like the radio channel apps on the iPad. If there is some thing I really must hear I go to YouTube. I have a poop house full of CDs that are very unorganized and are spread out in shelves and drawers all over the house. I never brother with them. I was hot for an iPod years ago, the idea of loading my CDs on to it cooled me off fast.

I can remember ripping about 300 CDs to itunes (lossless) when I first got rolling. When I buy new music, I prefer to get the CD and rip it, even though it is a pain in the rear. I also like vinyl for listening, not ripping.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I really expected this to be a necro-post :laugh2:

Haven't seen anyone with an ipod in years, but I haven't been looking either. [Ha, my phone just auto-corrected the last sentence to read "iPad". Even my phone is confused]

Latest Threads