Maxon pickup replicas

Shackenb

Reaction score
Hi,

Short info: fatboy uk has taken a very close look at Dry Zs and other Maxon Pickups and has made a replica of them to original specs and the original wiring.
As they are not so expensive, maybe a good idea to have a closer look. Info on his page and his Facebook channel...

Cheers Stefan

reborn old

Reaction score
They might be bargains ... or not. :hmm: .. thanks for the link.

What's most difficult to replicate, I suspect, are discontinued magnet alloys and magnet wire from those eras.

Not saying it's the case here, but I'm often reminded of a Mark Twain saying when it comes to pickup claims ...
"A gold mine is a hole in the ground with a liar standing next to it" :)

I don't see prices of '50's PAF's or Dry Z's plummeting because of anyone having produced exact replicas yet.
Many have tried, and some do come close.
The one exception might be K+T pickups by the designer of Dry Z's, which cost as much as Dry Z's, or more.
Never got to compare them, and he does produce various
K+T pickup types.

Shackenb

Reaction score
Yes you are probably right, he refer the difference to the wiring technique on the originals and he uses Alnicos...118£ a set... Would be good to get a sound sample...

Shackenb

Reaction score
I asked Mark, he will have a video soon of them in a Greco compared to the original stuff, will post the link when I have it....
Additional info from him:
These are not replica of those pickups, only my interpretation by this I mean built using non repro parts but taking some spec and using them as an influence, so many people always try to make repro 59 PAFs it just pisses me, the guy that originally built them Boogie T now works at K&T with a partner, I have good contact with Japan

Shackenb

Reaction score
someone has to order a pair and "dry" them:laugh2:
:laugh2: dry them hard... I am waiting for the video of his "interpretations", currently I don't have a project guitar and I like the PUs in my Grecos... he is highly recommended for his Strat stuff and the single coils should be great...

El Kabong

Reaction score
Dry-Zs are pretty much PAF replicas, so these are replicas of replicas...

The only way to authentically replicate them is with NOS wire... which are basically made of unobtainium... nothing else comes close in importance when replicating PAFs. Dry Zs are much younger than vintage PAFs, but its my understanding that Takano was using 50s wire in the Dry Zs... spools of which were much easier to come by in the late 70s.

So until proven wrong it just sounds like marketing hype to me... :hmm:

The K&Ts I have sound more like vintage PAFs than Dry Zs... both are using NOS wire, but the K&Ts are hand wound for consistency whereas the Zs were machine wound (for expediency). I haven't tried non-NOS K&Ts, but clips I've heard of K&T Big Thumbs sound pretty close. :thumb:

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many winders use NOS enamel wire however.

El Kabong

Reaction score
Many winders use NOS enamel wire however.
It would have to be, because no one is producing enamel wire that is even remotely close to original specs. I'm no expert on pickup dynamics... beyond what I learned in grammar school (hey baby, wanna see my GI Joe collection?) but I think the wire is the main snag <see what I did there? :naughty:> in creating accurate reproductions. :laugh2:

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Between your sig and your avatar I am gonna have a seizure lol

El Kabong

Reaction score
Here are some interesting facts about NOS wire...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaQV1L93xxM[/ame]

kboman

Reaction score
I'm ordering one of these soon to replace a 1970s Dimarzio PAF in the neck position of my Hagström Swede.

Shackenb

Reaction score
Hi there, this will be very interesting... please share your experience!

He send out a infomail where he said there are to different types, one inspired by Super 70 and one inspired by Dry Z... and you can choose them wax potted or not...

kboman

Reaction score
1. It turns out I'm hopelessly broke this month so no cool new pickup yet.

2. Fatboy is making a full Dry-Z repro as stated on Facebook (and confirmed when I asked about it).

:shock:

Shackenb

Reaction score
I wouldn't say they are full repro... I talked to him and they are inspired by... I was very surprised as I saw the Z on the pickup...