Max Baranet - The End Of An Era

1958BURST

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll
Did you catch Max's auction for all his machinery from the 1980's?

Check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270227653433&fromMakeT rack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

The actual machinery that MAX built all those masterpieces with. A once in a lifetime opportunity !!! Max is definitely shut down... no more custom pieces...this is it !!!" Once in a lifetime opportunity. These are the power tools that Max used to build all his masterpieces including: SLASH's Les Paul, two Strats for 'The Edge', a Burst and Flying V for Lenny Kravitz, two secret guitars for Eddie Van Halen, a Tele for Tom Petty, a Burst for Nikki Sixx, a Burst, Explorer and Flying V for Robbin Crosby and many others. These are the machines he used from 1984 until present. These are for collector value only. Imagine owning the tools used by Stradivarius, D'Angelico or D'Aquisto. What would those be worth today?

Let us know if you are selling: 1950's Gibson LP Jr's, Specials, Goldtops, 1960, 61 and 62 SG LP's (no standards), 1960's reverse Firebirds. Not interested in any guitars with repairs or modifications whatsoever. Must be stock. He is using this money to buy a couple guitars for personal enjoyment. Vintage Gibson prices have peaked and are falling rapidly. List your guitars now!

Equipment includes: binding router, belt sander, drill press, band saw, routers, bench grinder, dust collector Buyer is responsible for all shipping charges and arrangements. All items must be picked up within 21 days after auction ends. Absolutely no warranty expressed or implied on any items. These are sold as collectors items only.

I spoke with him tonight - it looks like he wants out for good. No more Max Guitars moving forward.
Looks like I have to find another job now!
SS
Max Guitars USA:slash:

1958BURST

Reaction score
Nope!
Max is selling everything and going to be traveling for the next few years. He has'nt done this for a long time and I believe he wants the time away now. The movie has taken quite a bit out of him and I don't he even wants much to do with the guitar business now. He even has his house up for sale, everything is going. I got a few things left of his latest work and thats about it. Nothing else is coming.
:(

SS

1958BURST

Reaction score
This is the last 59 burst I got from Max and definitely the last finished piece to come out of the shop. Its a lightly figured plaintop, one the best playing Max's I have.
SS

Attachments

• Max_9_0912_(3).JPG
    Max_9_0912_(3).JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 411

The Stumble

Reaction score
Now that looks stunning:shock:..............how much just for the wood :)

max-baranet-end-era-max_9_0912_-3-.jpg

loverocker

Reaction score
Crikey. Hope Max is able to recharge his batteries and get the right motivation for whatever's next on his journey. Hey - if someone teaches him how to build amps, we can all have a matching set. Where do I sign...? :)

This is the last 59 burst I got from Max and definitely the last finished piece to come out of the shop. Its a lightly figured plaintop, one the best playing Max's I have.
SS

That's beautiful. I love light figure with those random mineral(?) streaks. And the colours are perfect.

My own Max is an unburst with wilder and 3D figure. Have tried to sell it twice and things haven't worked out - maybe this latest announcement is fate's third warning: don't sell it, just learn how to work with a fat neck.

Good luck, Max! :)

1958BURST

Reaction score
Hey Love!
Anytime you want to sell that fat neck Max - you give me a ring.
My offer is to anyone selling or wants to sell their legitimate / verified Max guitars. Look me up.
SS

My own Max is an unburst with wilder and 3D figure. Have tried to sell it twice and things haven't worked out - maybe this latest announcement is fate's third warning: don't sell it, just learn how to work with a fat neck.

Good luck, Max! :)

Mr Bones

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No offense, but why does everything have to be framed in terms of collectors value these days. These are crusty old tools worth maybe a 10th of the starting bid. How much for the sawdust from a Max build???

1958BURST

Reaction score
No offense, but why does everything have to be framed in terms of collectors value these days. These are crusty old tools worth maybe a 10th of the starting bid. How much for the sawdust from a Max build???

Agreed, but to call it an olde dusty piece o crap isn't exactly good salesmanship either is it now? If the guy wants to sell his stuff to try make some money for retirement, I'd say let him say what he wants to say about the machinery. It did fact create alot of great guitars, you can take that away from him.

My humble 2 cents...
SS

PoorMan

Reaction score

+1

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have many more tools than that, what about the jigs and other goodies? Oh and above all how about the expertise that goes with it ?
:)

And I damn sure wish I had a MAX myself. :)

1958BURST

Reaction score

Ok fine dude!
this is for all the people whoever have put their heart and soul into something they built from scratch to have someone spit on it....

"I kept wondering why he wants to get out of this business, now I get it.
You spend a career killing yourself building a name based on a word of mouth superior quality instruments only to be ridiculed by the by people who have nothing good to say about anything and know nothing "ZERO" about building something that will last several lifetimes",

Hey guys.....try and build something with your bare hands and go put it on ebay for a week and see what kind of abuse you get then. Maybe your appreciation level will rise for someone who really made a difference in their lives!

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok fine dude!
this is for all the people whoever have put their heart and soul into something they built from scratch to have someone spit on it....

You spend a career killing yourself building a name based on a word of mouth superior quality instruments only to be ridiculed by the by people who have nothing good to say about anything and know nothing "ZERO" about building something that will last several lifetimes",

Hey guys.....try and build something with your bare hands and go put it on ebay for a week and see what kind of abuse you get then. Maybe your appreciation level will rise for someone who really made a difference in their lives!

Well brother I myself didnt mean anything ugly about anything, I was just wondering about the jig's, templates, and other goodies. If you noticed I said I wished I had a MAX, I got nuthin but love for the man. :)

El Toro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can hook you up with 2 Max's my buddy Jerry is selling:)

The auction has 18 watchers, so we'll see.

Wouldn't you like DaVinci's brush?

1958BURST

Reaction score
Well brother I myself didnt mean anything ugly about anything, I was just wondering about the jig's, templates, and other goodies. If you noticed I said I wished I had a MAX, I got nuthin but love for the man. :)

Actually Rev,
It wasn't pointed at you at all. The quote I took was from the previous post. My apologies to you if you took offense, Max is a dear friend and I stick up for my friends. I think anybody that puts that kind of time (30+ years) into a (sometimes a thank-less profession) that ends up killing you in the long run, should have a dignified send off.

SS

1958BURST

Reaction score

King,
How's is going, your lucky to be so close in proximity to the man, I wish I had the chance to help him clean house. I bet you got some cool artifacts from the last spring cleaning. Whats up with Jerry's 2 Max's - does he want to sell them - have him give me a ring. I'm in the market too for a couple more. Hit me back on my email, let me know the deal.
Peace!
SS

PoorMan

Reaction score
Ok fine dude!

Wha?

You posted this for public consumption so I added my 2 cents. I respect Max's skills as a luthier and I understand the demand for his guitars. I didn't spit on anything. I'm simply saying I don't see the value and wouldn't pay that much for a belt sander, a drill press, etc...sorry.

S

SKATTERBRANE

The auction has 18 watchers, so we'll see.

Wouldn't you like DaVinci's brush?

I keep on seeing posters say how they are interested in buying a Max or Jerry's 2 Max's, but then they are still availible? Then AFTER you finally sell them, people will be saying "boy I sure wish I had a chance to buy them" or "why didn't you tell me, I would have paid $20K for each of them"

El Toro has a friend with TWO Max LPs for sale!! If you REALLY want a Max, here is your chance!! Quit talking about it and DO IT!! Remember MONEY talks.............

So El Toro, when are you or your friend going to put these Max LPs on Ebay?

Mr Bones

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok fine dude!

:( I honestly don't get this response. I guess this is directed at me, but when did I "spit" on anything to do with Max's luthier skills?? :hippie:

I never said anything about Max guitars, so I don't see where anyone needs to defend it. I also don't see how my thinking that 20k is significantly overpriced for some used tools is grounds for a personal attack on me. :shock: :rofl:

The ad is what it is, a sales pitch based almost completely on emotional appeals. It comes off as very used car salesman.

rickym

Reaction score
Just like the guitars that were built using these machines, they're useless in the wrong hands. So many people argue here about tone & skill being in the fingers, I'm sure that would apply here as well. These are great machines, but any sander or drill press in the right hands can create a masterpiece.

Latest Threads