Match your Historic to Beauty of The Burst

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Saw this thread on another forum and thought this was really cool. Since this forum seems to have a lot more traffic I thought we should have one here. I'll start.

Here's my R9 and B.O.T.B. # 9 0593 (different pics but same guitar)

My R9:

B.O.T.B. 9 0593:

Lets see yours!

BigJim

Reaction score
Great thread!

Lemme look tonight, there may be a 58 that has the same serial number as mine.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great thread!

Lemme look tonight, there may be a 58 that has the same serial number as mine.
Yeah, I found a real burst with my exact serial number here:
Burst Serial Log

That one doesn't look anything like my historic does, but 90593 looks pretty damn close except its faded to a little bit lighter color.

Looking at the thread on LPF I was surprised how many were posted that look REALLY close. There was a 58 Plain top that was so close its scary. Looked so close I almost think it might have been intentional by one of the builders at the custom shop. I mean the color and the grain patern was almost identicle.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
You wouldn't. 'Cause you don't like me.

And I'm all broken up about that.

I mean, really? You don't see the resemblance?

Go smoke some Honduran Mahogany dust, my friend.
In this picture the color matches a lot more, but on the other one not even the flame matches, but its ok River as long as in your eyes they look alike thats all it matters. :thumb:

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Took awhile to get my sh%# together but here are mine, with page scan references.

My 8 7130 is an official copy of 9 0875 (a run of 50 guitars apparently), not a replica like the ones done later in '03, more an "inspired by" version built in '97. I have a letter from Edwin Wilson explaining Gibson's intention.

My 8 8451 looks a lot like 8 1689 on the next page. I going out on a limb here saying Gibson copied from the book but I have no letter to prove it on this one. Built in '98.

And yes, the printing on the US version of the book is WAY TOO YELLOW and it's a hard thing to correct in photoshop.:rolleyes:

Attachments

cnote

Reaction score
The color/burst is wrong, but I think my 50th 9 0192 Darkburst's figure compares pretty well to Burst 9 0593:

What's cool here is that no one these days believes that quartersawn tops with medium fat flame in a mild chevron is vintage-correct. They want flatsawn, flecks, etc. But 90593 and 90592 (with a mild reverse chevron) show that quartersawn tops of this type were indeed used back then.

And River, yes, I see the resemblance between yours and Page's too. Cool!

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The color/burst is wrong, but I think my 50th 9 0192 Darkburst's figure compares pretty well to Burst 9 0593:

What's cool here is that no one these days believes that quartersawn tops with medium fat flame in a mild chevron is vintage-correct. They want flatsawn, flecks, etc. But 90593 and 90592 (with a mild reverse chevron) show that quartersawn tops of this type were indeed used back then.

And River, yes, I see the resemblance between yours and Page's too. Cool!
Nice, same one mine looks like. Its funny, after owning this historic for 10 years I really had decided the flamed top looked nothing like any real burst top.... to over the top and to perfect etc. Then I found the pic of 9 0593 and wise like HOLY CRAP... its almost a perfect match LOL. And 9 0597 is really close too as far as the figuring but its closer to a lemon drop top in color.

cnote

Reaction score
My Yamano 06 R0 also matches 9 0926 very closely. 9 0926 is only in BOTB, so I don't have digital pictures, but if you check out the picture in BOTB, and check this, it's very close:

If you have BOTB, check the detail of the flame between the PUP rings. This R0 is a Yamano Murphy guitar, so I figure Murphy or someone had the same thought, as they went a rare (for an R0) Ice Tea color that matches 9 0926 really really well.