Martin Six String Customs: NOS SPRAGUE VITAMIN Q .022 vs PREWIRED LES PAUL harness..

Brewdude

Reaction score
I should probably defer to Matt for questions like this, but I have the MSSC branded caps in my Strats and certainly like them (though different spec than what I have in my LP's). However I'm a huge fan of the Vitamin Q's so if you can I'd recommend splurging on them. IMO it will also depend on what pickup you have in the neck position if you want to go with the .015 or .022 cap.

Some people will tell you that cap value is the only the matters and construction makes no difference but in my experience I don't mind spending a few extra $ to get the old vintage stuff but your mileage may vary....

I have two of these in my guitars with low output PUP's, if you feel like playing around with different caps :hmm:

Original 50s Sprague Bumblebee .01/400V Paper Oil Cap - Martin Six String Customs

Buzzin_Cousin

Reaction score
I should probably defer to Matt for questions like this, but I have the MSSC branded caps in my Strats and certainly like them (though different spec than what I have in my LP's). However I'm a huge fan of the Vitamin Q's so if you can I'd recommend splurging on them. IMO it will also depend on what pickup you have in the neck position if you want to go with the .015 or .022 cap.

Some people will tell you that cap value is the only the matters and construction makes no difference but in my experience I don't mind spending a few extra $ to get the old vintage stuff but your mileage may vary....

I have two of these in my guitars with low output PUP's, if you feel like playing around with different caps :hmm:

Original 50s Sprague Bumblebee .01/400V Paper Oil Cap - Martin Six String Customs

Ok, so between the Vitamin Q and your link, do you have an opinion?

Brewdude

Reaction score
If you don't mind spending the extra $20 I'd say go for the Vitamin Q's, I think I've got 3 sets of them so far in my LP's so I definitely like their response. Then if you feel like playing around with different cap values down the road maybe pick up one of the .01 Bumblees and see if you like it in the neck position, as its about a 2 minute job to swap caps.

moreles

Reaction score
I don't want to initiate a cap composition flame war, so will respectfully suggest that getting the circuit you want (I like '50s) and pot/cap values is where the major tonal effect resides. Certainly, MSSC quality is top-notch. And maybe the cap value you select will be right for your LP, PUs, and signal chain. In my experience, thinking through the most likely values will get you in the ballpark, but even then, being able to swap caps to get to the best exact value is advantageous. Despite spending $$$ on all the types of caps you mention, I have found negligible audible differences except as explained by cap value variance. I often use "fancy" caps anyway, but for cosmetics and resale, not function. Just my view.

Buzzin_Cousin

Reaction score
I don't want to initiate a cap composition flame war, so will respectfully suggest that getting the circuit you want (I like '50s) and pot/cap values is where the major tonal effect resides. Certainly, MSSC quality is top-notch. And maybe the cap value you select will be right for your LP, PUs, and signal chain. In my experience, thinking through the most likely values will get you in the ballpark, but even then, being able to swap caps to get to the best exact value is advantageous. Despite spending $$$ on all the types of caps you mention, I have found negligible audible differences except as explained by cap value variance. I often use "fancy" caps anyway, but for cosmetics and resale, not function. Just my view.

Thanks, moreles. I chose the Vit Q's so we'll see how they work out. Should be delivered in the next few days..

Buzzin_Cousin

Reaction score
. IMO it will also depend on what pickup you have in the neck position if you want to go with the .015 or .022 cap.

//www.martinsixstringcustoms.com/collections/new-old-stock-vintage-capacitors/products/original-1950s-sprague-bumblebee-01-400v-20-guitar-tone-capacitor]Original 50s Sprague Bumblebee .01/400V Paper Oil Cap - Martin Six String Customs[/url]

Can you elaborate on this?

Brewdude

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this?
Sure, the difference in values will mean they will bleed off frequencies at a little different rate and the .015 will make the pickup sound a little brighter. So if you have a really dark sounding neck pickup, say a really low wind a3 or something like that, you may prefer to add a little treble with a .015 cap. However all of these changes are going to be very subjective and incremental so I'd suggest getting a few different values and playing around with them to see what sounds best to you.

Think of it like making soup, everyone will have their own favorite recipe with spices, etc.. When you change the pots and caps (and maybe pickups as well) on your guitar it will certainly make a difference in sound, good or bad, and will need to be tailored to your personal tastes and what your guitar sounds like.

Mookakian

Reaction score
The Qs will feel a little warmer/thicker. For this reason i love em for styles like ambience/jazz/stoner rock/rock, tele's and strats or brighter amps and humbuckers also welcome the humble VitQ. Bell like highs.

The offset value is a good idea to balance the effect the tone dials have. If you run two
.022uf caps... the neck tone set on 5 will be much darker than the bridge tone on 5, meaning the neck tone pot will get dark faster than the bridge tone pot. Offsetting the value results in a more even sweep in both tone pots.

Latest Threads