Marshall SL5 For A Home Low Volume Amp

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I'll tell you what. I have had the SL5 since just before X-Mas and have messed around on it here and there when no one is at home, so I can jam and turn it up a bit to let the tubes come out of the closet. Well... tonight. My girlfriend was sleeping on the couch and I have this in the living room where she is sleeping. Also, the people downstairs have a bedroom right below this room. Between the clean channel and the gain channel, I jammed away for like over 2 hours, where I did not get one complaint and my girlfriend slept through the whole thing. I was switching back and forth between the channels and having a good time. It sounded fantastic and I had a blast, just loving the tone from this amp. I had it in the 5w mode and between the guitar volume knob and keeping the volume low on the amp, you couldn't ask for a better low volume home amp, that can also kick it out for small gigs. :thumb::dude:

JellyOnToast2345

Reaction score
I was really impressed by that thing. I got to try it out at guitar center once. Haven't seen one since. But damn it sounded good. I just wish it wasnt slash signature. I always feel phony playing gear with some other guitarist's name on it. But that's a great amp I think the tone definitely justifies buying it and ignoring the signature

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing with a JMP 100 and a 2 12 Avatar. It's a misconception that you need low wattage to have good tone at bedroom levels. I hit the front of the amp with one of 3 overdrive pedals I use and it sounds as good as my 1 watt 50th anniversary amps do... With of course the all out brutality of a real Marshall when you need it.

I have had no less then 12 amps of all types over the last year. I've come to the conclusion that I'm done with low wattage amps. I want power when I want it and to that end it's heavy 100 watt transformers... Yes, even at low bedroom volumes.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was looking into a used Mesa F-50, which is a good sounding amp, but there is no low volume for that amp. You just barely try to move the volume from zero to a little tiny bit and it is really loud. That's too bad, because I really wanted the amp for gigs and stuff when I start jamming with a band again, but I'm not sure when that will be and it would just be a waste to have that amp lying around until then.

Spurholder

Reaction score
The SL5 is one awesome amplifier. EL34 + Vintage 30 = greatness.

Having said that, I did a quick test with an Orange TH30 the other day and it also sounded positively killer as well at low volume.

:hmm:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The SL5 is one awesome amplifier. EL34 + Vintage 30 = greatness.

Having said that, I did a quick test with an Orange TH30 the other day and it also sounded positively killer as well at low volume.

:hmm:
You have that right, just something about a tube amp with EL34 tubes really fills out a nice killer tone.

I like the Dark Terror, it has such a nice gain to it. I have found though, that all the Orange amp's I played, they are all really dark sounding amps, where I had a hard time getting any kind of a bright Billy Squire type of tone from them.

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
If I ever buy another 5w, it will be the sl5. Fantastic amp, and does all the marshall tones that the class 5 doesnt cover.

Blu

Reaction score
+1

The SL5 is a keeper, very happy with it!!!

Spurholder

Reaction score
You have that right, just something about a tube amp with EL34 tubes really fills out a nice killer tone.

I like the Dark Terror, it has such a nice gain to it. I have found though, that all the Orange amp's I played, they are all really dark sounding amps, where I had a hard time getting any kind of a bright Billy Squire type of tone from them.

And this is a bad thing how???

:laugh2:

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
I do the same thing with a JMP 100 and a 2 12 Avatar. It's a misconception that you need low wattage to have good tone at bedroom levels. I hit the front of the amp with one of 3 overdrive pedals I use and it sounds as good as my 1 watt 50th anniversary amps do... With of course the all out brutality of a real Marshall when you need it.

I have had no less then 12 amps of all types over the last year. I've come to the conclusion that I'm done with low wattage amps. I want power when I want it and to that end it's heavy 100 watt transformers... Yes, even at low bedroom volumes.

True statements. You can get good low volume tone out of a big amp. With my Avatar 45 W amp I can get great tones even at midnight and not wake anyone. No pedals needed. The PPIMV works extremely well at low levels even through my 2x12.

jimmer_5

Reaction score
I imagine that the 1 watt switch will really bring the volume down an extra notch if necessary. Probably won't move the speaker much, but you could get the tubes going a little hotter.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I imagine that the 1 watt switch will really bring the volume down an extra notch if necessary. Probably won't move the speaker much, but you could get the tubes going a little hotter.
Yes, but it does thin out a bit, and I like a thicker tone even at lower volumes. So I just keep it in the 5w setting.

And this is a bad thing how???

:laugh2:
It's just hard to get a nice bright tone out of all the Orange amps I've played.

alstev

Reaction score
I want one, there's one listed for $1700 where I am lol. I'm guessing that's someone complying with orders from the wife to sell.

Latest Threads