Marshall SC20H/HOLY CRAP!

The Ballzz

Reaction score
OMG, did I already say HOLY CRAP? :wow:Just played one of these at GC, through a 1960A box and TELL YOU WHAT! Very true to it's supposed roots and certainly a very loud 20 watts! I do find it very tough to believe that the low power setting is even anywhere near the ballpark of Marshall's "claimed" 5 watts! :facepalm: I have a Class 5 that measures out at 9 watts and a DSL5C that measures at 6-ish watts and neither of them cranked would be even barely audible beside this SC20H at the low power setting, cranked!

If the SV20H comes even closer to replicating it bigger relative, as well as the SC20H honors it's ancestor, I'll have a new amp! While my DSL20 kicks some serious a$$, this Studio Series just seems to be in a whole other league of OH YEAH! :cool:

And Did I Already Say HOLY CRAP? :naughty:
Gene

Last edited:

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Be forewarned that unless you are a pedal guy, it will be still be pretty darned LOUD by the time it gives up the real goods! With that said, I have and regularly use a custom built (yet fairly inexpensively built) attenuator that doesn't touch the sound and response even one single bit. It's good for up to a 50 watt amp. A good attenuator is "VERY" liberating. I brought min to the store for my testing!

Just Sayin'
Gene

tzd

Reaction score
While my DSL20 kicks some serious a$$, this Studio Series just seems to be in a whole other league of OH YEAH! :cool:

I know... I got rid of my DSL40C once I got my hands on the SC20H.

It is very easy to attenuate this amp. Simply engaging the Effects Loop button brings the volume down. I stick an Ernie Ball VP JR 25K in the effects loop and no problem playing it in my bedroom.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Shit... I might have to try one of these. My DSL40C isn't doing it for me lately.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I'm waiting to also try the SV20H and Mini SJ before making a purchase. At my advanced age, this will probably be my last amp acquisition!

Just Sayin'
Gene

Reactions: tzd

Spiteface

Reaction score
Be forewarned that unless you are a pedal guy, it will be still be pretty darned LOUD by the time it gives up the real goods!

I realised that when I owned one for a week. They sound good in demos, but I always advise against anyone buying the SC20H as a home/bedroom amp. The volume it needs to be at for it to sound like it should is much louder than I was comfortable with. Took a few days to shake the "wow factor" that I owned a JCM800 and realise it wasn't the amp for me.

A shame as I really wanted it to be the amp for me. Looking at other things now...

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I realised that when I owned one for a week. They sound good in demos, but I always advise against anyone buying the SC20H as a home/bedroom amp. The volume it needs to be at for it to sound like it should is much louder than I was comfortable with. Took a few days to shake the "wow factor" that I owned a JCM800 and realise it wasn't the amp for me.

A shame as I really wanted it to be the amp for me. Looking at other things now...

A good, yet simple attenuator could easily make it be so!
Just Sayin'
Gene

Dazza

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on these. Anyone have any experience with the combo version ? I just have a hard time being convinced a single 10" speaker does it justice.

AussieDave

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of this amp. I have it through an Orange 1 by 12” but be warned this amp is very trebly. You get great Jimmy Page and eighties rock but it is a medium gain amp. Also I play fairly quiet but through a 4 by 12 it is killing loud.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of this amp. I have it through an Orange 1 by 12” but be warned this amp is very trebly. You get great Jimmy Page and eighties rock but it is a medium gain amp. Also I play fairly quiet but through a 4 by 12 it is killing loud.

Ergo my mentioning of my gloriously liberating attenuator!

Just My $.02,
Gene

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
It is stupid loud even on the low setting. Keeping the volume and gain on 4 is more than enough for band practice. A little pricey imo but it’s a great amp.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I had the SC20H for about 2 weeks and sent it back, it just didn't do it for me at all. I like the DSL40C better, definitely more versatile and the Classic Gain Channel Crunch mode on the DSL40C is the best crunch tone I have ever worked with.

Last edited:

scozz

Reaction score
With my gigging days long over, I’m a at home musician, and I have a few low wattage amplifiers. Back in January I purchased a Jcm800 Studio and a 1-12 Marshall cab.

While this amp is very loud, it also sounds great at low volumes, especially on the 5 watt setting. For the first 6 or 7 months of owning this amp I played it at home with no volume concerns!

On the 5 watt setting, I played it with the volume somewhere between 2 and 3.5 or so. A few weeks ago, after quite a bit of research, I bought a Weber MiniMass 50 watt attenuator.

Now I play the amp on the 20 watt setting at any volume I like! I am able to crank it and not have the police at my door! This little Weber MiniMass works great, with virtually no loss of tone, only a very slight high end loss if you attenuate down to a very low volume on the attenuator and the amp is cranked.

Aldo, the Weber MiniMass has two toggle switches to adjust the high end back in, one +3db boost and one +6db boost. I use the +3db switch when I’m playing at very low volumes, or one could just increase the amps treble to make up the difference.

One of the best things about this attenuator is the price. There are many attenuators out there st all kinds of prices and all kinds of features. Some with added features are quite expensive, as much as $1500.

I just wanted an attenuator to attenuate the volume of my amp nothing else, the Weber MiniMass does that,....and it does it for $136!

Below are pics of my Jcm800 Studio, 1-12 cab loaded with a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback,.....and my Weber MiniMass.

This pic shows my current setting on my 800,....

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had one for a few weeks, and it sounded great. It was just too much of a one trick pony for me to keep. Now if Marshall could have made a two-channel head, with the exact same Studio Vintage in one channel and Studio Classic in the other, I would have bought and kept it forever.

scozz

Reaction score
I had one for a few weeks, and it sounded great. It was just too much of a one trick pony for me to keep. Now if Marshall could have made a two-channel head, with the exact same Studio Vintage in one channel and Studio Classic in the other, I would have bought and kept it forever.
I disagree about the “one trick pony” thing. I had also thought that before buying, but after a few weeks I found its completely untrue.

This amp has got some great cleans, if you know how to dial them in. Also some great bluesy tones with a some hair on them to keep it interesting, just slightly over the edge of breakup!

Dialing in these lovely blues tones using the neck pickup on a LP or a Strat is pretty simple. Speaking of simple, that’s one of the great things l love about this amp, six knobs and two wattage settings,...

I like that. :dude:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There were zero cleans at drummer volume for me. Absolutely none. I'm not going to go on about it in this thread, but for actually using in a live band setting for me, it was absolutely a one trick pony. YMMV.

It was a great trick though, I'll give it that. It sounded fantastic.

Last edited:

dCi_king

Reaction score
What do you think is a better option to attenuate this beast a JHS little amp box or a Bugera ps1?.

I have also thought of an Captor X, but I am only interested in the attenuator option of -38dB and the headphones output to be able to use it in my bedroom.

Latest Threads