Marshall MX112 Cab Help

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Hey guys looking at the Marshall MX112 for just home use. There is currently a 2x12 MX212A for sale with mixed speakers, but I think that might be WAY overkill for what I'm doing.
My 1x12 DSL40C sounds perfect for what I'm doing.
Just trying to get some help on what would be better for me.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I only use a 1x12 cab.
Plenty loud enough.
For the ultimate tone with punch and girth put a Celestion Redback in it.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I only use a 1x12 cab.
Plenty loud enough.
For the ultimate tone with punch and girth put a Celestion Redback in it.
Even though it’ll be pointing at my feet? I won’t get the full sound from it. Will I?
This is my setup. I don’t use the Laney, it’s only use is so it’s easier for me to get to the controls on the amp. Haha!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Wouldn’t trust having my gear angled like that.
I’m going to have it with the cab on the floor, with the DSLc on top and then the head on top of the DSL.
To each their own. It's as stable as a half-stack. My lead guitarist does the same with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and matching 2x12 cab. His setup is even more stable than mine because of the added weight and how the rubber feet sit on the tolex.

It would work perfectly with a 1x12 combo/1x12 cab setup. Leave the cab flat on the floor to get the bass effect and the combo on the stand to hear yourself in the mix.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
To each their own. It's as stable as a half-stack. My lead guitarist does the same with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and matching 2x12 cab. His setup is even more stable than mine because of the added weight and how the rubber feet sit on the tolex.

It would work perfectly with a 1x12 combo/1x12 cab setup. Leave the cab flat on the floor to get the bass effect and the combo on the stand to hear yourself in the mix.
Appreciate the help! It’s only me playing though. :)

tzd

Reaction score
If what you’re looking for is ear level sound, get that vertical 2x12 you were looking at, maybe just plug in the top speaker.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
If what you’re looking for is ear level sound, get that vertical 2x12 you were looking at, maybe just plug in the top speaker.
I think the problem is that the stack is going to be too tall. It’ll be 1.5m all said and done. I might just stick with getting the 1x12.

Reaction score
Make sure you get a 'chunky' 1x12 or it may prove futile. I researched a long time before I landed on this VBoutique cab with 1x12 creamback. It could fit 2x12s and sounds like a 4x12.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Make sure you get a 'chunky' 1x12 or it may prove futile. I researched a long time before I landed on this VBoutique cab with 1x12 creamback. It could fit 2x12s and sounds like a 4x12.

I was looking to get the Marshall mx112. Also looked at the Mesa cabs, but for $900+ for just a cab. No thanks

scozz

Reaction score
Hey guys looking at the Marshall MX112 for just home use. There is currently a 2x12 MX212A for sale with mixed speakers, but I think that might be WAY overkill for what I'm doing.
My 1x12 DSL40C sounds perfect for what I'm doing.
Just trying to get some help on what would be better for me.
Well if you’re strictly a at home player it seem to me that the MX112R should be just fine, and that a 2-12 would indeed be overkill imo. I am also a “at home player” ,....I bought a MX112R,..... mainly because it’s inexpensive.

I had every intention of changing out the speaker before I even bought it. I had read the reviews on the Celestion Seventy/80 speaker. But I still gave the stock speaker a chance before I purchased a different one.

I think I used it for about 4 weeks before I changed it out to a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback. What an improvement! It’s like a night and day difference!

One thing though,.....I have this little half stack off the floor a little over a foot for better projection. You can see it more clearly in this pic below,....

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve got a question,.....you’ve got a 50 watt head coming for home use? :hmm:
Yep that’s the smallest wattage amp I could get for the sound I want.
I’ve got the 40 watt DSL...
Edit: I find the 70/80 to be really nice so that mx112 would be good I think. Speakers aren’t that expensive anyway. :)

Latest Threads