Marshall Mini Plexi (SV20H) demo....

raytsh

Reaction score
I really like this head. I had it running with a CaptorX with either headphones or via an USB interface into studio monitors. Eventually, I sent it back since I rarely used it with that setup and it was too expensive to just having it sit on the shelf. I use my Spark modelling practice amp and NeuralDSP plugins more often. That said, none of these modelling solutions sound and feel as great as the SV20H did in my opinion.

Deftone

Reaction score
I really like this head. I had it running with a CaptorX with either headphones or via an USB interface into studio monitors. Eventually, I sent it back since I rarely used it with that setup and it was too expensive to just having it sit on the shelf. I use my Spark modelling practice amp and NeuralDSP plugins more often. That said, none of these modelling solutions sound and feel as great as the SV20H did in my opinion.
Careful. Just my $.02, but I'll hook into something and think "this is all I need" then get rid of some gear and eventually regret it.

I have a Spark as well. It's a lot of fun but it won't be replacing any of my tube amps anytime soon. I still use my 20 y.o. Fender G-DEC all the time too.

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
That makes sense. Why keep something you hardly use.

That the SV feels better than a Spark or plugins isn't much of a measuring stick; the only nice thing I can say about my Spark is that it's better than nothing and can roughly approximate several things (although not very well). As for the Neural stuff, it's convenient and sounds great, definitely. Certainly good enough to record with. But for the feel, it's not there compared to even an amp and a Captor, in my experience.

TheWhigs

Reaction score
I've been eyeballing the dsl20... but I need another amp like I need another guitar lol
While not a DSL20, I have a DSL40C - love that amp! I'm actually surprised at the "warmth" as well as the "power" of the amp for a "40-watter".

While its not a like-to-like comparison to my Boss Katana 100 (for obvious reasons), I would take the Marshall DSL-40 over the Boss. For some reason, it feels like its "pushing more air" than the 100 watt Boss amp. I do like the Boss amp as well because its quite versatile and since its a solid state - on/off instant is good. Its a great amp with a lot of programmable effects. The multi-switch footswitch as well as the expression pedal is great as well.

For my Marshall, I have a multitude of Boss and Keeley pedals.

My "main rig" is a Mesa Boogie V-Twin Rack preamp with a Mesa Boogie 2:100 Stereo Rectifier rack amp (it is LOUD) connected to a Mesa Boogie 4x12 (slant).

For effects I have a TC Electronics G-Major with footswitch.

My prize possession is my Jim Dunlop Rackmount Wah - owned, used (and autographed) by Tony Iommi...he used it on the 1999 Sabbath Reunion Tour. :thumb:

Guitars - don't have enough of those. :)

JohnInNJ

Reaction score
SEE. This is exactly why I switched to Digital (Kemper, now Axe FX). Because, back when I was collecting tube amps, mostly 15-20 watt Heads, I would have been jonesing to add this to my collection. Mo Money, Mo Money.

Darn fine sounding representative of a classic Marshall tone (with maybe a little more bottom end oomf for a more modern use).
My collection of tube amps includes everything from old Magnatones, original black-face Fenders, to Music Mans and Riveras. Then, on a lark, I tried a solid state Quilter. All of the afore mentioned amps are now dust collectors. For me, and my tastes may not be yours, the Quilter just does everything right. It drips warm sustaining tones and goes well with any pedal I've thrown at it. Oh, and my 200 watt Quilter head weighs something like 7.5 pounds.

landguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then, on a lark, I tried a solid state Quilter. All of the afore mentioned amps are now dust collectors. For me, and my tastes may not be yours, the Quilter just does everything right. It drips warm sustaining tones and goes well with any pedal I've thrown at it. Oh, and my 200 watt Quilter head weighs something like 7.5 pounds.
Nothing about that sounds like fun to me! Although I will admit that when I am hauling my Dr Z 2x12 cab in 95 deg weather I think about how easy going FOH would be…but my Friedman 2 Channel WW 20 is light and wonderful! I’ll take the tubes, thank you!

I have continued to be tempted by these Marshall minis; but my pedalboard requires I use a 2 channel amp so I’d be limited to the Silver Jubilee version, which is why I got the Friedman, which I love!!! But still…

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gets dirty at about 1.5-2 on the dial in the high treble input. I jumped them and rolled in more low end. I got a JHS black box in the loop so I can tame it a bit. 5 watts is loud, 20 is maybe 1/3 louder. It’s got a lot of chime and sustain. Not a bedroom amp in my book, but that depends on your bedroom. It responds very well to the volume and tone knobs as well as pick attack. Dynamic for sure. Looking forward to playing leads on it with my other band.

Deftone

Reaction score

Have you jumpered the inputs yet? Seems really versatile. Lots of features.

Latest Threads