Marshall Mini Jubilee 20W

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've probably posted about this amp in the past and have flirted with pulling the trigger on one. I'm looking for a decent multi-channel amp no bigger than 25 watts that can get into high gain territory in this price range. There's a Mesa head in the same price range but I already have a TC-50, I currently have no Marshall amplifiers. I've never had a Marshall made at the UK factory either. The only Marshall's I have had are the C5, JVM 1 watt head, DSL5, and the DSL40. The DSL40 was probably my favorite out of the group. Does the Jubilee have the same or similar amount of gain/drive as the DSL series? I've heard the clean channel on the Jubilee is practically non-existent, which is fine with me. I probably won't use the clean channel that much. There's also the JCM800 20 watt I'd consider too.

If anyone has a cellphone clip/video of either amp, I'd love to hear it. I can't watch professional demo videos of people anymore because they are incredibly misleading IMHO.

pedecamp

Reaction score
I've probably posted about this amp in the past and have flirted with pulling the trigger on one. I'm looking for a decent multi-channel amp no bigger than 25 watts that can get into high gain territory in this price range. There's a Mesa head in the same price range but I already have a TC-50, I currently have no Marshall amplifiers. I've never had a Marshall made at the UK factory either. The only Marshall's I have had are the C5, JVM 1 watt head, DSL5, and the DSL40. The DSL40 was probably my favorite out of the group. Does the Jubilee have the same or similar amount of gain/drive as the DSL series? I've heard the clean channel on the Jubilee is practically non-existent, which is fine with me. I probably won't use the clean channel that much. There's also the JCM800 20 watt I'd consider too.

If anyone has a cellphone clip/video of either amp, I'd love to hear it. I can't watch professional demo videos of people anymore because they are incredibly misleading IMHO.
The Studio SC20 (20 watt JCM800) is only 1 channel, I dont know if that matters but its a great amp, you'll need OD pedals to get into high gain, maybe consider another DSL or just go for the mini jube. :yesway:

tzd

Reaction score
Whichever Marshall amp you get, just put an Ibanez TS mini in front of it with Level max and Drive min.

Dazza

Reaction score
There's as many youtube demos of the Mini Jubilee series as you could ever have the time to watch.

Yes there are 2 channels but with shared controls it's not really an optimum 2 channel amp. The clean channel is noted for what it does as is the gain channel.

Daz

v-man

Reaction score
Jubilees are NOT 2-channel amps, unless you coincidentally like or get all you need from the shared settings (which usually is NOT) the case.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So which has the higher gain, the JCM800 or the Jubilee? I'm actually leaning towards the JCM800 20 watt now. The reviews for the Jubilee always seem to scare me away lol

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's as many youtube demos of the Mini Jubilee series as you could ever have the time to watch.

Yes there are 2 channels but with shared controls it's not really an optimum 2 channel amp. The clean channel is noted for what it does as is the gain channel.

Daz
And about as many dudes talking for several minutes, putting OD pedals in front of the amps, and editing their sounds with their DAW and whatever else they got in the chain I won't be using. I'd rather hear from actual users.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The JCM800 20w does sound great, but the tone controls and presence do not change the tone very much, so what you heard is pretty much what you're going to get for tone.

Last edited:

Big John

minimize sucking
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a little used Jube combo. I'm still in the honeymoon phase so my current opinion might be different over time, but I think it's a great sounding amp. I dial in the gain and eq to get a good tone out of the crunch side of the clean channel. Then when I hit the footswitch, the lead channel works great without any need for tweaking. This is how I ran shared eq amps in the past with no problems (Soldano, Bogner, Demeter, original Egnater, Mesa, etc.).

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got the dsl 20.it a little kickass amp.
This is what I wanted originally but I saw the head wasn't available in a lot of places. Then I started thinking "well, I've had two DSL's in the past but I've never had a Jubilee or a JCM800". They are 2 amps I've always been curious about. I'm gonna get the JCM800. There are too many bad reviews for the Jubilee compared to the many positive reviews for the JCM800. I'm not a huge fan of single channel amps but I have 2 incredible multi-channel amps so maybe this will be a nice change.

Dazza

Reaction score
Bad reviews for the Jubilee will likely concern it's buzzy tone at low volumes. Exact same 'issue' with the full size versions, you have to turn the Master up.
I've had the mini head for a few years. I'm not a high gain user by any means and was pleasantly surprised how spongy, responsive and 'un-metal' this amp can be. In direct comparison I really didn't like my mates DSL which did modern scooped metal tones, but not classic rock and roll.

However since using my Marshall 18watt far more I have a tough time going back to the Jubilee diode clip gain. I'm not a fan of drive pedals and I find the gain somewhat 'plasticky'. An odd word but to me it describes it. I much prefer overdriving the Clean channel which is more like an 800, though it's been decades since I had an 800. I got into JMP's instead. I'd like to have the 20 watt JMP myself.

Daz

tzd

Reaction score
This is what I wanted originally but I saw the head wasn't available in a lot of places. Then I started thinking "well, I've had two DSL's in the past but I've never had a Jubilee or a JCM800". They are 2 amps I've always been curious about. I'm gonna get the JCM800. There are too many bad reviews for the Jubilee compared to the many positive reviews for the JCM800. I'm not a huge fan of single channel amps but I have 2 incredible multi-channel amps so maybe this will be a nice change.
I had the original DSL40C. It sounded good, but it was loud. Then I got the SC20H and had it side-by-side with the DSL40C for a while. SC20H beat the DSL40C hands down.

With the DSL40C, the Red channel was too fizzy, while with the Green channel you're stuck with pressing the button to switch between Clean and Crunch. SC20H is like the Green channel but with the right amount of additional gain, so that you can transition between Clean and Crunch with your guitar volume knob.

By the way, make sure you pair the SC20H with a Greenback. Sounds way better than the stock V-Type.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad reviews for the Jubilee will likely concern it's buzzy tone at low volumes. Exact same 'issue' with the full size versions, you have to turn the Master up.
I've had the mini head for a few years. I'm not a high gain user by any means and was pleasantly surprised how spongy, responsive and 'un-metal' this amp can be. In direct comparison I really didn't like my mates DSL which did modern scooped metal tones, but not classic rock and roll.

However since using my Marshall 18watt far more I have a tough time going back to the Jubilee diode clip gain. I'm not a fan of drive pedals and I find the gain somewhat 'plasticky'. An odd word but to me it describes it. I much prefer overdriving the Clean channel which is more like an 800, though it's been decades since I had an 800. I got into JMP's instead. I'd like to have the 20 watt JMP myself.

Daz
I suppose it doesn't need to be "high gain". I have a Mesa Boogie TC-50 and a Bogner XTC 3534 for all that. I'm hoping the JCM800 20W is similar to the Orange OR-15 in terms of its master volume and gain/OD levels. My Bogner has a Marshall feel to it but I'm not expecting the Mashall to be the high gain monster The Bogner XTC is. Pretty much all my favorite players and albums were recorded with a JCM800. Pearl Jam's Ten, the first two AIC albums, some early John Frusciante RHCP stuff, etc.

Torshalla

Reaction score
Have you considered an Astoria Custom? It is 30/5 watt and offers a lot of versatility. It does its own thing but covers the plexi on steroid ramge very well too... i love mine

Latest Threads