Marshall MG50GFX 50 watt combo 12 inch speaker swap(WGS)

Standard 64

Reaction score
Wanted a non tube amp for backup just in case for some reason tubes became hard to buy(covid 19).Must say with the new WGS Veteran 30 speaker it sounds almost ...almost....did I say almost.....as good as a DSL40(blasphemy!!!!).Of course too make the amp shine you need a good guitar with good pickups.Any Les Paul will fit the bill.The stock speaker is advertised as a custom British sounding speaker that is made in China from a company called Vanke.Kind of reminds me of a lower end Celestion 70/80.It really did not sound all that bad.But I figured with a lower price solid state amp they would not put a premium speaker in their.For a 120$ the WGS Veteran 30 instantly sounded better and is very well worth it.Yes premium speakers do also make solid state amps sound better.MG bashers need not reply,ha!

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I've had a pair of them in my 2204 combo (4104) for years and they're spectacular. I just bought an ET-65 to try that combo out. Weirdly, I'm not in a hurry to swap it in, cuz it already sounds so good.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Like I said the stock speaker sounds good.The WGS Veteran 30 took it too another level.Big difference when you see the speakers side by side.I had the Veteran 30 in a DSL40C once and now in the MG50 GFX Gold.In both amps it really captures that British Rock tone like no other.If you really want to add some dynamics get a TC Electronics "Spark"boost pedal,WOW!!That was the icing on the cake.BTW I have a ET65 in a Blues Junior III,Love it.Definitely a way superior speaker than stock.And to top all that off I have the Veteran 30 and the ET65 in a 2x12 Avatar open back cabinet for my Marshall Origin 20 head.That setup gobbles up pedals like it was Thanksgiving,seriously.

Latest Threads