Marshall Lead 12 5005

Slick

Reaction score
I managed to pick a Marshall Lead 12 combo from a local flea market for all of £18.

It's a 3 socket model and has a serial number stamped on the front starting with an A which I understand makes it a 1984 model.

It obviously hasn't been used for some time and the pots are a bit scratchy but there doesn't seem to be any way to access them with servisol spray. I can't find any vents in the chassis. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Deftone

Reaction score
I have the mini stack. I removed the SS internals and had a 5w tube head installed.

sonar

Reaction score
You could pull the chassis out and hit the pots with deoxit (make sure it's the type WITH lubricant) but you might be able to get away with just adjusting them with a full sweep with the amp on, every time you play the amp.

Fun amps. I always liked the Lead 12, even when my opinion was too far gone in the land of tubes.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Yep, what sonar said is true. They are the best little amp I've come across and cranking those knobs back and forth just may do the trick. Congrats!

grumphh

Reaction score
The horrible sound of SS .... "Lead 12"...

...JK :D :D :D

Fwiw, i have a Marshall "75 reverb" which also is an unashamedly all-SS amp (from before the times when a manufacturer had to throw a tube in for looks and street cred) and it sounds just like you want an 80's Marshall to sound. :)

...if you have the hankering for some old school Marshall tone on a budget these 80's all-SS amps are most definitely worth a look.

sonar

Reaction score
The horrible sound of SS .... "Lead 12"...

...JK :D :D :D

Fwiw, i have a Marshall "75 reverb" which also is an unashamedly all-SS amp (from before the times when a manufacturer had to throw a tube in for looks and street cred) and it sounds just like you want an 80's Marshall to sound. :)

...if you have the hankering for some old school Marshall tone on a budget these 80's all-SS amps are most definitely worth a look.
Hard to find one that is working, but the Mosfet 100 did the 80's Marshall thing fairly well. Pick response could be a little "meh" for the player, but the projection was pretty decent.