Marshall jcm800 .

Oddball667

Reaction score
So as some of you may know I recently traded a Marshall G100R CD 100 watt head and matching 4x12 slant cab for a wine red 1993 Gibson les paul studio and a G30R CD 30 watt Marshall combo to my neighbor.

So this weekend I'm going over to my neighbors to jam on the halfstack and probably a 1970 sg and a 1972 double neck SG and my Lester.
But the head I traded had a bad wire to the reverb and is currently in the shop (may be out by then idk) so I'll have to just settle playing through my old cab and a JCM800 from the 1980s lol.
Man my neighbor keeps surprises me with more and more cool stuff , and it is going to be intresting to be able to A/B a modern "cheap" Marshall solid state state head Vs. A vintage tube head and see what the fuss is about as ive never been able to do this .
Wich is great because I need a new amp since I traded my half stack in the first place ....... Lets face it eyeball flattening volume with the lights turned low is my happy place.
And ive never owned a tube amp.
So I was sorta kicking around a Laney head , or getting a Randall 1503 2x12 120 watt combo.
....what amps to ypu guys use or want ?
Ive mentioned before I like metal , but i actually have a diverse musical taste (as I'm sure most of us do) so the trickiest thing for me is deciding on an amp with my les paul that will cover as many diffrent tones I would like and still have a nice metal one for when I want to cut loose.
Was also kicking around getting a super clean amp and just using it as a pedal platform .
But then I have even less experience with petals and not really working with much money .
Idk .

1all's Pub

Reaction score
The 800 is a great amp for sure. I had one briefly and found it just a bit too oriented to gain and compressed sounding at hobbyist/bedroom player volumes (which you may like, since you play a lot of metal). At high volume it was awesome though, but as a bedroom player I just didn‘t use it at the volumes needed to maximize its awesomeness!

In the end I returned it and stuck with my DSL20. Much more affordable and with 2 channels (green & red) I found it more versatile for the classic rock, hard rock, and blues I play (though on the red channel it does a good job of gaining up nicely for classic 80s type metal... and with a Tube Screamer in front of it can get killer thick, modern metal tones). I run it through an 80s Marshall 1965B 4x10 cab which is just a great match for the DSL, IMO! (But this combination would also work great for gigging I would guess.)

Anyway, the DSL is a great option if you wanna save some cabbage... it does a great job of capturing that beloved Marshal tone and is (as I said above) pretty versatile. I saved enough money that I was also able to get an Origin20 and still be into both amps for less than the price of an 800, and have way more versatility.

Just an option to consider. YMMV :cheers:

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
there's nothing quite like a 2203 turned up loud

I've found that all the amps (that i've tried) with a legendary reputation do deserve it - it's just whether they do what you need. For sheer ballsy classic rock rhythm sounds, my 2203x JCM800 reissue was the best thing I ever had. However, I replaced it with a Sliver Jubilee, just because I wanted a lead channel I could kick on and off, with a significant volume boost. The 2203x's fx loop was a bit of a tone sucker, and the Silver Jubilee is a pretty good amp, but if I could have a multi-amp setup with different amps for different things, it'd be a JCM800 for rhythm all day long

Having said that, a DSL will get you into similar (but not quite as grainy and ballsy) territory for a fraction of the price

Oddball667

Reaction score
Im kinda stoked to get to mess with it and see what all the hype is about.