Marshall Guv'nor Plus GV-2

broke_player

Reaction score
I did some research on the GV-2. There are a lot of mixed reviews, mostly bad, but I wanted to see for myself. So I bought one:D I put it through my BH5H, Blackheart Little Giant, and wasn't all too impressed. It sounded good, it has some good crunch, the gain is good, I like medium gain I would say, the GV-2 has a good amount. The thing I didn't like was, there is a lack of highs, or treble. I had the treble dimed but it still sound like a blanket was over the speaker. So, being that I can't keep anything stock, I just have to do something to it, I surfed the net some more and found that alot of people remove C22, which I guess is a cap that blocks the highs. So I took out my tools and proceeded to remove C22. When I had it back together and plugged it in, man this thing just came alive, there is a good amount of treble and, to me, it sounds nice and crisp with a good crunch and maybe even some added gain?. Overall I'm happy with it. I'll see how feel in about a month. Until then:

The above pic shows the cap removed, I forgot to take a pic before I removed it.

:D

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
I got a few other mods I do with this one. PM me if you would like to try them out.

Never tried the C22 trick myself though...interesting.

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
Feel free to share them with the rest of us. :)
You have one too?

I'll send you a PM later on with the info. I'm still at work. :wow:

Nothing better than a 25 hour day....

V!N

Reaction score
Thank you ! :thumb: Thank you very much ! :dude:

broke_player

Reaction score
Well it's been a little over a month and I still enjoy it:thumb: I messed with some mods and there is one additional mod I used to clean up the middle frequencies. But other than that Remove C22 and change a resistor value and it's good to go:thumb:

Now I'll see how it is in about two months:thumb:

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like your approach. Suck it and see for a month. Too many people change too much stuff all at once, and they end up swimming in circles forever like a goose on meth.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that's so funny, cos i have a mark 1 guvnor and it's got a LOT of treble. tons.

lazz

Reaction score
do you just remove the cap or is there some soldering involved?

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
do you just remove the cap or is there some soldering involved?
For the C22 trick, you just remove it. Nothing else. You could put in on a switch though if you felt the need.

Latest Threads