Marshall Guv'nor II?

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I am just starting to use pedals and am looking for an overdrive to use with my Class 5, a distortion to use with my new Vox Pathfinder (because I am assuming distortion will work better with a SS amp than would an overdrive pedal - but I could be completely wrong about that), and a reverb pedal to use with both.

Someone has offered to trade me a Marshall Guv'nor II but I am unfamiliar with these (as unfamiliar as I am with most pedals!) so, before I arrange to go meet him to try out the pedal, I was hoping people here could give me their impressions of it. I'm basically wondering if it is an OK pedal for someone who is just starting to experiment with them.

The guy wants to trade for an external 320GB hard drive that I've got. I haven't used that hard drive for well over six months so it is just sitting around collecting dust meaning the pedal really isn't going to cost me anything but, if it is a crap pedal, I won't bother going any further with the deal.

Any opinions on this pedal are appreciated (and if you think the trade isn't a good deal please say so as I have no idea of the relative worth of most pedals).

ETA: The guy has also offered to throw in a Fender mini-patch cord for the pedal, a capo, and a tuner (not that I need another tuner but what the hell).

tony93666

Reaction score
if it works, that's a GREAT trade. Used computer hardware is worth next to nothing... That's a cool pedal - does just what it says - 'Marshall in a box'... they ran about $60-70 or so new, but aren't in production anymore.

SlapChop

Reaction score
I recently picked one up and I'm lovin' it! I use it in front of an Egnater Tweaker to go from cleans to cranked Marshall tones. If it's stock, it'll sound a little dark or muddy with what sounds like a blanket over the upper mids and highs. There's a really simple mod you can do that opens it right up and lets those through. I did it and I couldn't be happier with the results.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
if it works, that's a GREAT trade. Used computer hardware is worth next to nothing... That's a cool pedal - does just what it says - 'Marshall in a box'... they ran about $60-70 or so new, but aren't in production anymore.

I hope the deal works out. I had previously worked out a trade for the hard drive in exchange for an MXR Distortion III but the guy flaked out of the deal. If this guy doesn't follow through on the trade for the Guv'nor someone else has offered a Boss OD-3 which I think would be a good deal as well.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I recently picked one up and I'm lovin' it! I use it in front of an Egnater Tweaker to go from cleans to cranked Marshall tones. If it's stock, it'll sound a little dark or muddy with what sounds like a blanket over the upper mids and highs. There's a really simple mod you can do that opens it right up and lets those through. I did it and I couldn't be happier with the results.

If the trade works out I will be hitting you up for info on that mod!

tony93666

Reaction score
I hope the deal works out. I had previously worked out a trade for the hard drive in exchange for an MXR Distortion III but the guy flaked out of the deal. If this guy doesn't follow through on the trade for the Guv'nor someone else has offered a Boss OD-3 which I think would be a good deal as well.

yeah, that would be a good deal too. And since it's a BOSS, there's NO problem getting used most of the time... The OD-3 is really transparent too, so it doesn't color your tone, it just gives it some umph. :thumb:

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
The guy who offered the Guv'nor and accessories just got back to me and it turns out that he lives about 120 miles away. He offered to ship his first so that I receive everything before I ship him the hard drive but the person who offered me the Boss OD-3 lives roughly ten minutes from me and is willing to meet at any time it is convenient for me so I think I will do the trade with them rather than dealing with the hassle of shipping.

Obviously, being an overdrive pedal, the Boss will work better with my Class 5 than it would with my Pathfinder (although, not knowing squat about pedals, I could be wrong about that) but I am happy to take it especially when the hard drive is just sitting around collecting dust.

tony93666

Reaction score
yeah, I'd just grab the OD-3.

It will work with your Pathfinder too - I had one some years back and put pedals thru it all the time. Pretty darn good little amp! But yeah, it will really shine with the Class 5.

Guitar Freak

Reaction score
I hope the deal works out. I had previously worked out a trade for the hard drive in exchange for an MXR Distortion III but the guy flaked out of the deal.
Who would trade a DIII? :D

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Guv'nor...great pedals - and the BluesBreaker.
I have one of each and Guv'nors are getting harder to find. ;)

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Guv'nor...great pedals - and the BluesBreaker.
I have one of each and Guv'nors are getting harder to find. ;)

If it didn't involve shipping stuff 120 miles away then I would go for it. Dealing locally with the girl who has the OD-3 is just easier all round especially as I have a couple of friends who got burned on deals where they were shipping stuff out of town. I've never been burned myself, but better safe than sorry right?

Butt

Reaction score
its not the gov'nor 2, the guv'nor itself is called the GV-2

Guitar Freak

Reaction score
some kid who thought he could do Hatebreed chugga-chugga with it... :laugh2:

not that that's a bad thing, just the wrong pedal. I dig heavy. (see link below) :naughty:
Exactly! But I do find it modern sounding when playing live, which still kinda bugs me... :hmm:

It's a versatile OD/Distortion anyways. Just changing pickups gets me a nice texas blues sound, but then again, I'm using a strat :D

Any questions about it just let me know.

Mattdive

Reaction score
Good deal with that Boss pedal! They're versatile and work well with any amp. The overdrive vs. distortion thing is just about what type of drive is being emulated.
I have a Guv'nor and it's a great pedal. It sounds best with lots of drive and the EQ scooped. It is not as versatile as the OD-3, as lower gain setting sound pretty crappy. Yes, it can sound like a "Marshall in a box" but it's a one trick pony. I use it in conjunction with another OD pedal.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly! But I do find it modern sounding when playing live, which still kinda bugs me... :hmm:

It's a versatile OD/Distortion anyways. Just changing pickups gets me a nice texas blues sound, but then again, I'm using a strat :D

Any questions about it just let me know.

Thanks, but that deal fell through and I traded for a Boss OD-3.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Good deal with that Boss pedal! They're versatile and work well with any amp. The overdrive vs. distortion thing is just about what type of drive is being emulated.

I just got home and will fire it up after I've had something to eat.

I stopped into my music store on the way home to buy a cable for it and checked what they were charging for brand new OD-3s and it was $95+tax (remember, things are more expensive here in Canada) so I think a hard drive that I wasn't using for a $95 pedal is a good deal. She was happy with her side of the deal too (I'm glad she was) as we both figured we could buy what we were after used but why not keep the money and trade items that we weren't using to someone who would use them.

The hard drive cost me about $80 brand new a couple of years ago but, as someone else mentioned in this thread, used computer hardware is worth next to nothing so even though she is happy with her half of the deal, I still think I came out ahead on this one.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
congrats on the new pedal bro! Let us know how it works with your Class 5. I personally bet that it can make it scream...:dude:

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I am sure it will make it sing. Any screaming will be as a result of my playing ;)

Latest Threads