Marshall DSL40C speaker upgrade WGS Veteran 30

Standard 64

Reaction score
I know I have said how I liked the stock speaker but I had to try a WGS Vereran 30 speaker(60 watts).Its a big improvement in tone.It is WGS's upgrade of a Celestion V30.Magnet is a lot bigger compared to the stock speaker.Seems like this speaker was made for this amp.

Attachments

kakao

Reaction score
I'm not surprised, WGS makes a high quality speakers.

Markpilip

Reaction score
I know I have said how I liked the stock speaker but I had to try a WGS Vereran 30 speaker(60 watts).Its a big improvement in tone.It is WGS's upgrade of a Celestion V30.Magnet is a lot bigger compared to the stock speaker.Seems like this speaker was made for this amp.
I like the Vet 30 as well. I recently upgraded the stock Celestion in my Marshall 401c with one of these and the improvement was significant. Not as beamy and the sound is richer and less blatty as high volume. Plus, the price was great.

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
If you guys don't stop it, you're going to convince ME to switch from Celestion. :laugh2:

BlueCajun

Reaction score
Good info. Thanks for posting. Does the WGS Veteran 30 also have the upper-mid spike present in the Celestion V30?

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Good info. Thanks for posting. Does the WGS Veteran 30 also have the upper-mid spike present in the Celestion V30?
No, they smoothed it out. It's pretty warm and punchy. I have a pair of them in my 800 combo and they're amazing, especially compared to the 70's that came in it.

Standard 64

Reaction score
I used too own a celestion V30 and did not like it for that "ice pick" spike.It was so annoying.The WGS veteran 30 is much better.

jimmer_5

Reaction score
I have said it before and I will say it again. Vintage 30's sound AWFUL when new, but they break in beautifully. It takes commitment to see them through to break in. Regardless, the Veteran 30 is reported to be less harsh, which would be an improvement in most people's books. I personally wonder how it compares to the UK made Mesa Boogie version of the Vintage 30. I suspect that there are some similarities there (which is a good thing).

In any case, congrats on the new speaker purchase. Glad to hear you like it because speakers are yet another expensive rabbit hole that you can go down as a guitar player. I may have to give the Veteran 30 a try sometime - I have a cab loaded with 75 watt Creambacks that I am not too fond of right now (I know, I am surprised too!).

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Just so it doesn't go unsaid....
Harsh can be good. Context is everything.
I sold the old G12M-70's in my Marshall to a member here and he loves them. For what I play (blues-rock), they were just awful, and the Vet30's fixed me right up.
But in a modern rock band, you might want the "harsh" back, for the cut it provides.
Sometimes people "warm" their sound up until it's muddy or just gone in the mix.

Standard 64

Reaction score
I have said it before and I will say it again. Vintage 30's sound AWFUL when new, but they break in beautifully. It takes commitment to see them through to break in. Regardless, the Veteran 30 is reported to be less harsh, which would be an improvement in most people's books. I personally wonder how it compares to the UK made Mesa Boogie version of the Vintage 30. I suspect that there are some similarities there (which is a good thing).

In any case, congrats on the new speaker purchase. Glad to hear you like it because speakers are yet another expensive rabbit hole that you can go down as a guitar player. I may have to give the Veteran 30 a try sometime - I have a cab loaded with 75 watt Creambacks that I am not too fond of right now (I know, I am surprised too!).
Would love to hear your review of the WGS Veteran 30(like you said,give it some time).Lot of people at the Marshallforum like it.And of course some that dont(sometimes I wonder if their Celestion groupies or they work at Eminence).

kakao

Reaction score
Manufacturing companies are very active in online propaganda, especially on forums like this one. It appears the opinion comes from a real user, but ..

FFXIhealer

Reaction score

This is why I ignored everyone who told me to ditch the stock Celestion G12T-75s that came in my brand-new Marshall 1960A cabinet. I actually like the sound.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Arent g12t75's well respected higher end Celestion speakers allready?

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
Arent g12t75's well respected higher end Celestion speakers allready?
Not if you ask around here or at the Marshall Forum. Most people "detest" the ice-pick highs and boomy lows and complain that they lack mids, when they really don't.

Problem is, they also bitch about the 490/498 pickup set that has PLENTY of mids in them and instead prefer the '57 Classics, which have LESS MIDS.

And then stranger still, they replace those "awful" G12T-75 speakers with Vintage 30 speakers most often, which has a HUGE mid-hump to my ears.

If you don't have enough mids, turn up the "MID" knob on your amp. And break in your speakers, please.

That's all I'm saying. Mine sound great and I wouldn't change them or get rid of them for my JVM410h. Now...if I picked up, say, a Vintage Modern 2466, I'd go ahead and get the matching cab loaded with Greenbacks (Which I'd probably sell off and replace with Creambacks). But that's an awful lot of money I'd rather use to get my car repainted. Priorities.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Not if you ask around here or at the Marshall Forum. Most people "detest" the ice-pick highs and boomy lows and complain that they lack mids, when they really don't.

Problem is, they also bitch about the 490/498 pickup set that has PLENTY of mids in them and instead prefer the '57 Classics, which have LESS MIDS.

And then stranger still, they replace those "awful" G12T-75 speakers with Vintage 30 speakers most often, which has a HUGE mid-hump to my ears.

If you don't have enough mids, turn up the "MID" knob on your amp. And break in your speakers, please.

That's all I'm saying. Mine sound great and I wouldn't change them or get rid of them for my JVM410h. Now...if I picked up, say, a Vintage Modern 2466, I'd go ahead and get the matching cab loaded with Greenbacks (Which I'd probably sell off and replace with Creambacks). But that's an awful lot of money I'd rather use to get my car repainted. Priorities.
Thanks for the response.I assumed g12t75's were good because I see them in so many Marshall cabs.I had a Gibson wine red studio once with the 490/498 pickups and I swapped them out for a JB/59 set,which were sweet.Vintage 30's do have that HUGE mid hump which I call "ice pick".WGS Veteran 30 speaker reduces that ice pick,sounds much better.Your right,you want mids use your mid knob.

jimmer_5

Reaction score
I don't really get into the arguments about who makes a better speaker. When you have Celestion vs WGS vs Eminence vs Scumback, etc, it's really a problem of having too many good choices. Celestion has the most recognizable brand name, but that doesn't make them the best or the worst. WGS has a very strong following and their speakers are essentially their take on classic Celestion designs.

Its not about what speaker is better - at this level, they're all pretty good. It's all about finding the RIGHT speaker for a given amp, and that speaker may not be right for another amp. Most people's negative opinions come from the fact that they are using the wrong speaker for their setup. A bright harsh speaker might be just the ticket for a dark midrangey amp like an Orange. A smooth dark, full sounding speaker might go well with a bright Marshall or Fender. Sometimes a speaker sounds totally different in two cabs of different sizes.

I sincerely believe that the other half of the problem is that many people form their opinions about a speaker just minutes after they install it. I have rarely ever been 100% happy with a speaker that wasn't broken in yet. It's just life - you must have the patience to live with it for a while and see how you feel in a few weeks.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When you have Celestion vs WGS vs Eminence vs Scumback, etc, it's really a problem of having too many good choices. ...
Its not about what speaker is better - at this level, they're all pretty good. It's all about finding the RIGHT speaker for a given amp, and that speaker may not be right for another amp.
This. Well said :applause:

Standard 64

Reaction score
I don't really get into the arguments about who makes a better speaker. When you have Celestion vs WGS vs Eminence vs Scumback, etc, it's really a problem of having too many good choices. Celestion has the most recognizable brand name, but that doesn't make them the best or the worst. WGS has a very strong following and their speakers are essentially their take on classic Celestion designs.

Its not about what speaker is better - at this level, they're all pretty good. It's all about finding the RIGHT speaker for a given amp, and that speaker may not be right for another amp. Most people's negative opinions come from the fact that they are using the wrong speaker for their setup. A bright harsh speaker might be just the ticket for a dark midrangey amp like an Orange. A smooth dark, full sounding speaker might go well with a bright Marshall or Fender. Sometimes a speaker sounds totally different in two cabs of different sizes.

I sincerely believe that the other half of the problem is that many people form their opinions about a speaker just minutes after they install it. I have rarely ever been 100% happy with a speaker that wasn't broken in yet. It's just life - you must have the patience to live with it for a while and see how you feel in a few weeks.
One of the best ways to know which speaker to buy is to email the manufacturer and tell them your needs and wants.WGS has great service and advice.Not to mention awesome prices.

shooter1371

Reaction score
I love my WGS veteran 30 in my Marshall. I've had great results with the vintage 30 as well. The WGS are a bit rounder and smoother in the highs, but the vintage 30 had some bite to it. I may try the WGS green beret in my next project.

Latest Threads