Marshall DSL40 Combo purchase

Standard 64

Reaction score
Couldnt imagine what killer tones that could come out of a bone stock amp! Amps quiet to(hiss,shhhh) and what fun to play.Good reviews on the Marshall forum about reliability so far.Not going to mod anything on this amp.Tubes and speaker are fine.Probably put a fan in it which I do in all my tube amps.Construction of the amp looks like their was quality control.Got 15 percent off the price and a 5 year warranty on parts 3 on labor.

Attachments

Richie39

Reaction score
Great Amp! I bought one of these about a month ago, I've always loved the DSL sound and was very happy to add one to the collection. Mine has a very good reverb sound, better than some I've played in stores. I did have a small crackle problem with the amp, I had one or two bad preamp tubes that I had to replace and it's perfect.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Great Amp! I bought one of these about a month ago, I've always loved the DSL sound and was very happy to add one to the collection. Mine has a very good reverb sound, better than some I've played in stores. I did have a small crackle problem with the amp, I had one or two bad preamp tubes that I had to replace and it's perfect.
yeah its nice both channels has its own reverb knob and their footswitchable.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Partial to Marshall – Long may you enjoy!

jimmer_5

Reaction score
let's see how you feel in a few weeks.... :slash:
speaker can only get better, I like it because its so in your face tone.
I think Frank was suggesting that lots of people make few minor mods to this amp that make it even better. Most common is to clip a bright cap (C19?) to reduce some of the excess treble/fizziness on the Lead Channel. Also, the stock speaker is pretty good, but so many people put Creambacks in this amp that Sweetwater has started selling an exclusive version of the DSL40c with a Creamback in it.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Im not sure but that c19 clip mod is for playing at lower volumes.When you turn up the volume,that c19 is lessened a lot.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
What qualities are added with the "Creamback"? Is that done to lessen some of the "fizziness" that some owners talk about?

Classicplayer

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
Excess treble / fizz are only a problem until you get it up to band volume.. that's just the way it is for modern-voiced amps. All of a sudden it becomes the difference as to whether or not your crushing tone can cut through the mix instead of just going to mush.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, I really like the DSL40C, especially the crunch tone on the first channel. It was a toss up for me, on either getting the DSL40C or the SL5. I picked up the SL5, because I wasn't sure how long it would be around and I have time to pick up a DSL40C if I want one.

Standard 64

Reaction score
What qualities are added with the "Creamback"? Is that done to lessen some of the "fizziness" that some owners talk about?

Classicplayer
I have never heard of any fizziness and my amp sure sounds great.Sweetwater has the medium creamback,most owners prefer the heavy creamback

Standard 64

Reaction score
Excess treble / fizz are only a problem until you get it up to band volume.. that's just the way it is for modern-voiced amps. All of a sudden it becomes the difference as to whether or not your crushing tone can cut through the mix instead of just going to mush.
criushing tone in spades

Standard 64

Reaction score
Congrats, I really like the DSL40C, especially the crunch tone on the first channel. It was a toss up for me, on either getting the DSL40C or the SL5. I picked up the SL5, because I wasn't sure how long it would be around and I have time to pick up a DSL40C if I want one.
I love the crunch mode on the clean channel,its everything I hoped for.Then you have the 2nd channel!!!!!

YANKEEFAN4LIFE72

Reaction score
I have the same amp and it is my favorite one. I did the c19 cap mod and the creamback speaker as well. From sweet home Alabama to kill and destroy, it's all here.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Did you toss the tubes? They might be alright, sometimes when tubes have been seated for a while, they need to be reseated. I got my Orange months ago and it had sat unplayed for over a year. There was light crackling in the tone that disappeared after reseating the tubes. I'm still hammering the same pairs of both preamp and power tubes.

Richie39

Reaction score
Did you toss the tubes? They might be alright, sometimes when tubes have been seated for a while, they need to be reseated. I got my Orange months ago and it had sat unplayed for over a year. There was light crackling in the tone that disappeared after reseating the tubes. I'm still hammering the same pairs of both preamp and power tubes.

I had thought of that and reseated the tubes a week before I finally tried new ones. I didn't toss them yet since I'm not sure if one or both were bad and I haven't taken the time to mess with them since.

Standard 64

Reaction score
let's see how you feel in a few weeks.... :slash:
well its been a few weeks and I aint changed nuthin yet.Still have stock tubes (Marshall)and stock speaker (Celestion).Love the Classic gain channel which goes from1959 Plexi Super Lead to JCM800 2203 grind.The Ultra Gain channel is very modern full sounding(if you push the tone shift button in)and turn down the mids your in metal territory. Some say their reverb is weak,some dont.My reverb is strong(I have 2014 model).As for fizz I call it Sizzle(the fine line from bedroom distortion listening and cutting through the mix)Speaker is staying in and I dont want to cut any frequencies by snipping the C19 cap.I did install a fan in the amp and put eurodampers on the EL34's that I had laying around.Both those couldn't hurt.I'm happy.

Latest Threads