Marshall DSL15h - MODDED

Bubbletonic

Reaction score
Sounds good. I also think it sounds better than the demo Marshall just put out of that new Slash amp. But I will say it takes a certain type to go out and buy a new amp that they don't like the sound of with the intention of modding it until it sounds good.

jeggz

Reaction score
Sounds good. I also think it sounds better than the demo Marshall just put out of that new Slash amp. But I will say it takes a certain type to go out and buy a new amp that they don't like the sound of with the intention of modding it until it sounds good.
It's was a combination of I got it real cheap and I'm a bit ****ed up.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hell yea it sounds good, much better than the stock DSL15H, which like was said in the Video, the Stock DSL15H was too much gain which got out of hand above 9 O'Clock.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was hoping you would post something. Was waffling on whether to do the same mods, as I kind of like where I have mine with a 12AU7 in V1 and a 5751 in the PI. I think I have the gain reigned back even more than you do, getting similar crunch and dirt at my 11 as your 9. BUT, the 'buzziness' is still there at higher gain settings. THe mods seem to have helped that.

broke_player

Reaction score
When does he actually start playing? I'm a little over 2 minutes on and he's still talking.

I played one of these at Sam Ash. I wasn't impressed. Especially with the gain channel. If these mods sound good I may wait for a used one to pop up. :)

Now let me get back to the vid, I'll just jump ahead some.:naughty:

jeggz

Reaction score
I'm probably gonna lower the gain a bit more and add a choke.
All told it's about $25 in parts.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jeggz, just completed the first set except for the R14 after your experience. My C58 was also already a 2N2.

As mentioned, I had the Ultra Gain Ch where I wanted, for the most part, with just a 12AU7 in V1 and a 5751 in V4. But, if it wasn't just one particular NOS 12AU7, amp got much to bright and harsh, unless the Treble and Mids were at 9:30 and the presence even lower, at certain settings. ANd the 12AU7 took ALL the volume and headroom away from the Clean Ch. Also, the buzziness at higher gain settings, or worse with the gain past noon and the MV past noon, I still didn't like.

Like you, even after these, I still find the Ultra Gain Ch, JUST a little too much. Still get super compressed and squashed at 2:30 to 3 o'clock and beyond on the gain.

So, would be interested to see what you do to reign it back more. Higher value in R82?

THat siad, what I also tried, but not for enough time (got late, and there are others in the house), was put a NOS 5751 and the EH RI 12AY7 in V1.

Preliminary opinion, is I like both, but am leaning towards the 12AY7. Still have some nice headroom on Clean Ch, enough Volume, even a little breakup fully cranked. But, really nice results on the Ultra Ch. Kind of where I had it before with just tube swaps, but a tiny bit more gain. AND, that buzziness is gone from the mods. ALso, this 12AY7 was unuseable in the amp before (tried it in V1 and V2), just too harsh and horrible. Now, thats clear and lively. Amp is still JUST a tad bright through G12H30s, but a SMALL dial back of Presence, Mids and Treb get er done.

Now I have to tube roll to see what works best in V2 and V3 ()Have Sylvania NOS 12AX7s right now.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you list of mods you have done ?
He has another thread, but:
Basically to make Ultra Gain Ch (which is the Lead2 or OD2 from older DSLs) to Lead1 or OD1

R14 - 220k (He put it back to 100K, didn't like result. I never did this one)
C58 - 2n2 instead of lower value(Both of us had this there already)
R82 - put in 150k in empty spot
C75 - cut out
C34 - cut out

jeggz

Reaction score
Koolio!

I'm gonna raise v1b from 1.8k to 2.7k when I get the chance.
That should reign in the gain some.

jeggz

Reaction score
R40 to 2.7k got it right where I want it.
Still more gain than ya could ever use,but later in the sweep of the knob.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
R40 to 2.7k got it right where I want it.
Still more gain than ya could ever use,but later in the sweep of the knob.
What was the value before? 700-800 ohm range? Or was there no resistor?

How did it affect the uber compression at higher gain settings?

Asking, cause I'm wondering if I want to go back in myself. I have the R82 and 2 cap mods in, and also a 12AY7 in V1 and 5751 in the PI. I like where it is ALMOST completely. 0 to Noon is just perfect for most classic rock, even modern rock. Noon to 1:30, maybe even 2 oclock gets into heavy, but still useable gain. After 2 o'clock the uber compression starts in. At 3 o'clock its highly compressed, and then just continues more to full at 5 o o'clock.

Above, is at home volumes.

Through the Attenuator, with the MV rolled up, it's fairly similar. Useable gain, imho ends only a hair earlier.

And, the Clean/Green CH still gives nice JTM tones and blues crunch by itself, and gets into, imho, modded Plexi territory with a boost pedal.

Ergo my question on the effect of the v1B resistor going up to 2.7k, while running 12AX7s.

jeggz

Reaction score
What was the value before? 700-800 ohm range? Or was there no resistor?

How did it affect the uber compression at higher gain settings?

Asking, cause I'm wondering if I want to go back in myself. I have the R82 and 2 cap mods in, and also a 12AY7 in V1 and 5751 in the PI. I like where it is ALMOST completely. 0 to Noon is just perfect for most classic rock, even modern rock. Noon to 1:30, maybe even 2 oclock gets into heavy, but still useable gain. After 2 o'clock the uber compression starts in. At 3 o'clock its highly compressed, and then just continues more to full at 5 o o'clock.

Above, is at home volumes.

Through the Attenuator, with the MV rolled up, it's fairly similar. Useable gain, imho ends only a hair earlier.

And, the Clean/Green CH still gives nice JTM tones and blues crunch by itself, and gets into, imho, modded Plexi territory with a boost pedal.

Ergo my question on the effect of the v1B resistor going up to 2.7k, while running 12AX7s.
The stock is 1.8k
2.7k is probably gonna get ya where ya wanna be.
There's a good drop in unusable gain since the video.
9:00- 70s crunch
10:00- jcm 800
Noon-3:00 hod rodded

Still after 3:00 it mushes up too much.
I'm thinking that's just the way it is,but there's more than enough gain by the time ya get to 3:00 anyways.

jeggz

Reaction score
Sounds good,you'll like the v1b cathode swap for sure.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, changed the V1B cathode resistor, R40 tonight. I REALLY like where it leaves the Green/Clean Ch. On the0red/ultra ch, I need some more time with it. Spent a lot of time rolling tubes in V1 and again V2. Then, rebiased the amp. It was biased to 70%, and I brought it up to 75-76%, Brief test (because, youngest son had just gone to bed), told me that was better,

R40 swap definately lowered gain with 12AX7s in. As I said, need more time tommorrow to see if I like it as much as what I had ith a 12AY7 in V1 and the stock R40 value.

jeggz

Reaction score
Koolio
Here's a new demo.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewx4U5Hiv5I]MARSHALL DSL 15H MODDED 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads